Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Weekly Challenge #390 — Make Me Hungry or Thirsty!
Posted By: Tamia, 06-12-2017, 11:49 AM

I'm honored to have been chosen as winner of last week's Weekly Challenge, A Different Approach, and now have the duty of choosing a theme and judging the next contest. Thanks very much to the previous host, Stu/SMF, and to everyone who “liked” and complimented my photograph of the red moon over frosty maple branches.

For this week's theme, I'd like to see some good shots in the broad field of food photography. I like to cook, and I am interested in food, from production to distribution to prep and eating. I read foodie magazines and online sites, and enjoy articles that are well illustrated with appealing photos of food, cooking, and even the tools of the trade and their use. I shoot foodie/cooking pictures of my own for articles I write most months for my weekly column, but I'm not great at this genre and would like to be better. Show me how!

So, what I'd like to see are photos of food or kitchen prep, in any of the stages I mentioned above -- growing, distributions, prep, tools in use, etc. This should give broad scope for all of you.

Now, on to how I'll judge. Borrowing Stu/SMF's words: "I plan to judge on the basis of quality of the image, with the possibility of bonus points for what I think is originality." And if the photo makes me temporarily shelve my diet by making my mouth water, bonus bonus points!

This contest will close at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time, USA) Monday, June 19, and unless something comes up, will be judged on Tuesday, June 20.

Rules for all the Weekly Challenges: Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week. This challenge is Pentax/Ricoh/Samsung cameras only.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Ricoh/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented. The host/judge will post winners' names in a separate thread, and will send a private message (PM) the winner to pass the baton on. The winner will then host the next Challenge, and post a new thread with a subject or theme of his/her choosing.

A few of my meagre efforts at the genre to get you going:

After a Moka

Hot Breadsticks Fresh from the Oven

The Rabbit Seal of Approval

A Bag of Bagels

Bring Home the... Vegetables

Views: 3,443
06-14-2017, 06:48 PM - 5 Likes   #16
J8B

Photos: Albums
Some great shots here already. Not really a foodie photographer either, but who can resist caramel cupcakes?

Pentax K10D with SMC Pentax-M Macro 100m F4

06-15-2017, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
THAT's a sandwich!

06-16-2017, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #18

06-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yum! Great going everyone. We've about two days left, so there's plenty of room for more -- barbecues, farmer's stands, picnics...

06-17-2017, 08:29 PM - 4 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Rib eye fillet - The Paperbark Restaurant, Cape York Peninsula Lodge Bamaga Queensland. (My favourite meal at this restaurant.)

06-18-2017, 06:26 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gee, Arjay, I just checked where your domicile and favourite restaurant are. You are not Far North Queensland: you are Far far far far north Queensland - almost South PNG!
There is not a lot of chance that you have enticed me to try your favourite meal.
06-18-2017, 11:43 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eat me please!

06-19-2017, 03:57 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
You are not Far North Queensland: you are Far far far far north Queensland - almost South PNG!
Hi Rod, didn't think I had seen you round... lots of photo ops up here! Come for a visit - ( and open to all other forumites)
06-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
There are a few more hours left on this contest, so if anyone's thinking of serving up an entry, time to get cooking to get it in under the wire!
06-19-2017, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Great Grains Krunchy Pecan Kiss Cereal. What a breakfast surprise!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
06-20-2017, 06:04 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great showing, folks. This contest is now closed. I'll try to do the judging before day's end. Thanks to all who contributed!