Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Weekly Challenge #390 WINNERS of Make Me Hungry or Thirsty!
Posted By: Tamia, 06-20-2017, 11:33 AM

As the title says, this time around the weekly challenge was to "make me hungry or thirsty." Food photography is a popular pastime for many, and a profession for some. I enjoy looking at good photos og food and culinary subjects, and while I shoot many myself, I'm not great at it. So not only was I was hoping to encourage my Pentaxian colleagues to turn their talents to this genre, but I was in one of my periodic dips in inspiration on a menu for the upcoming week. And you all didn't disappoint. With 18 official entries and some additional photos for inspiration, I had plenty to chew on.

In judging the entries, I looked for the usual technical proficiencies, but also for something more, that pull which makes me involuntarily want to get up and head for the kitchen. I'll comment on each entrant's photo before announcing the winners. (To see everyone's entries, visit the contest thread here.)

Geomez: The day was hot and humid when you posted your beer photo, and immediately I regretted having none on ice. (That was rectified pronto!) Focusing on the glass' rim with an open aperture threw the rest of the photo into a blur with pleasing color that matched that of the beer, where a hint of effervescence climbs up the glass. Slurp!

Kyle/SpecialK: Nope, I'm not a vegetarian, and that beef sandwich and side salad would be perfect after a hard bike ride or hike. I like your choice of lens, which emphasizes the unusual eatery. My dad would have loved eating there -- he was in the USAF and loved planes, and he owned a family restaurant for some years -- so bonus points for your choice.

Aaacb: Another carnivore's feast! While I eat far less meat these days, my periodic craving for a thick steak can't be ignored, and your shot would definitely have me firing up the grill or cast iron skillet. You captured the crispy bits and the appealing glisten and color, while the touch of greenery and dark background, combined with the metal plate, all make for a delicious presentation. With a curling finger or two of steam rising from the steak, this could find a fitting place on a restaurant menu.

Eva: Grilled fish and potatoes baked in the coals surely does make a delicious picture of an ideal warm weather meal, filling but light, with lovely contrasts and flavors. Love the colors and textures, and the oval plate makes for a unifying frame. (Your dessert photo looks yummy also, and I think with a minor adjustment to exposure it would be an even better shot. The bokeh is dreamy.)

Cosmin/Hattifnat: How about some Thai beer? Sure! I've never had Thai beer and would love to sample it. I really like how the octagonal bokeh -- colors as well as overall distribution -- mimic the bottle's overall appearance. Condensation on the glass makes this cold brew even more appealing with the weather we've been having here.

Tim/atupdate: Terrific texture and colors in this festive close-up shot. I can imagine the satisfying crunch and look at those itty bitty little humanoids and Christmas trees. Focusing right in on the sprinkles was an inspired decision.

Charlie Zap: I can see why the rigatoni puttanesca and meatballs is a favorite dish, Charlie. What a delicious presentation, with wonderful colors and contrasts, a circular composition tying the meal together, and appealing features like the dewey glasses and the candle/light, to of course, the food and wine. (Which white with the tomatoey pasta?) Full marks for making me hungry on a day when appetite was at ebb. I'll repair to the kitchen to make some fresh pasta right after posting this thread.

Richard/Vaskebjorn: I'm intrigued by what was for dinner there, something deliciously crispy, and with citrus and salad. And a very polite and patient cat waiting for her reward, though her narrow eyes suggest that she might be wondering when that time might come!

DeepThrob: Summertime and kids with hot dogs, what could be more iconic? This youngster is festive with her colorful ribbons, and she certainly looks like she's enjoying her meal. And what would the season be like without a good hot dog now and then? Great entry!

Sealonsf: Those little dogs certainly are appreciative for the drink on that hot day. Look at their expressions, the affection in the black/white dog's eyes, and the gratitude in the other's face. Surely makes me thirsty to see this.

Matt/matb123: I've never had biscochitos and went searching for how to make them after seeing your entry. Having a family recipe passed down and the tradition of making favorite foods is always heartwarming. Beautiful expression on her (your wife?) face, as well as her strong hands and colorful clothing and necklaces. Did you make me hungry? Sure did!

Stu/smf: Ah, Stu, a favorite combination of mine, citrus and seltzer. How did you guess? Adding kiwi makes it even better. Love the colors and carbonation clinging to the fruits. Sure does make me thirsty.

Susan/slowpez: Eating as opposed to photographing food is perfectly understandable, Susan! The colors are great, with an ultramarine blue background highlighting the orangish turkey legs, which appear deliciously crispy and glisteningly appetizing. Hunger-making? YES!

J8B: Who can resist caramel cupcakes?After seeing your photo I'd not be able to! I love everything about this picture. Composition and deep depth of field fulfill technical requirements. The rainbow of colors in those sprinkles are beautifully highlighted against the creamy icing and dark background, the cake is golden and the wrapper is unblemished. The whole invites one to enjoy a sweet treat. Great job. And welcome to the forum and to the Weekly Challenge!

Rod/rod_grant: WOW, Rod, that sandwich looks like enough to feed a family! I love sandwiches, and believe it or not, I woke up with this very sandwich in my dream today. I was just about to reach for it when I woke, so, sadly, I couldn't feast. With fries on the side, you couldn't help but leave the table adjusting the belt and looking for a shady hammock to contemplate the inside of your eyelids.

Boplu: Welcome to the Pentax Forum and Weekly Challenge! I can almost smell the sweet tangy perfume of those pineapples for sale alongside tomatoes, okra, garlic, peppers, and -- is it sugar cane? Great colors and a variety of produce always whet my appetite and make me plan a meal. Lovely entry. (As a side note, I enjoyed your city and bike photos in the 15mm Limited Controls My Mind Club. Attractive bike, and appealing photos!)

Arjay Bee: Another steak, and what a stack of steak this is, too. Ribeye is my favorite cut of beef for steak, so bonus points for that. Do I see a ground beef burger below the fillet? The red wine -- Australian? I enjoy a glass of Yellow Tail Cab Sav or Merlot myself -- brings the meal together. The photo is made even more appealing by the background highlights in a subtly lit room. Yum factor? High!

Noel/noelcmn: And what could be even better than a good steak? Fresh ear corn! My favorite when I was a kid, and while I eat far more variety now, I still can't resist steaming hot corn. Yours have plump kernels and I bet they were sweet, toothsome, and filling. Another delicious entry.

Sherrvonne: You can't go wrong with a milky bowl of cereal, and if it smiles at you, all the better! I've not had pecans in a long time, but your picture encouraged me to add them to the shopping list. Terrific entry, one that hits the spot after all the filling meals I just consumed with the previous entries, and made even better with a big splash of humor.

Well, the time's come for the podium winners, never an easy job when there are so many close contenders. Here goes, beginning with...

Third Place: Cosmin/Hattifnat

Second Place: Arjay Bee

First Place and next week's host: J8B

Honorable mentions? Everyone not on the podium! You all did such a good job making me hungry and thirsty. Thanks again for participating. I look forward to what J8B comes up with for the next Weekly Challenge.
Views: 1,597
06-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations to all, and thanks to Tamia for the challenge and judging.
06-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Congrats to all--The challenge was extremely TASTEFUL.--charliezap
06-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
J8B

Photos: Albums
Thanks to Tamia for the challenge and judging. The challenge inspired me to have a go at food photography, which I've never really tried. Lots of great photos, so I'm humbled to be nominated as the winner.

06-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to everyone and Tamia, thanks for hosting.
The food on the dish most likely will be something like rice or couscous.
I am not 100% sure as it was not my plate
06-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
J8B

This week's challenge is now up Long Exposure Night Photography. Happy shooting, and good luck everyone!
06-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Tamia: a great challenge. Congrats to J8B and to all.

06-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #8
eva
Veteran Member

Congretulations to all,especially to the winners. Thanks Tamia for challenge and judging.

Last edited by eva; 06-21-2017 at 12:58 AM.
06-21-2017, 12:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks for taking the time to comment on all the entries. Love that winning shot.
06-21-2017, 03:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks to Tamia for hosting the challenge and the comments. Congrats to the winners.

Tim
06-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Congratulations to all the winners and to Tamia for judging and commenting on all the entries. Now where do I send all those extra pounds I put on from looking at all the wonderful food?
06-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well now I have something against the host of this challenge, and every entry. There goes my only possession, oops, (sorry Engelbert Humperdinck ) I meant my diet and all attempts at losing weight, keeping me kitchen bound, scrummaging through the fridge/freezer for any steak, turkey and whatever is available, and inducing a visit to the supermarket for some cupcakes and other sweet treats. Not fair . But being the forgiving fellow that I am, I'll not hold it against ya all . That would have been my winning choice as well, superb details on that cupcake, wonderful colors and composition. Worthy winner. A hearty congratulations J8B. And heartily extended to Arjay Bee and Hattifnatt. Uhm, I am having a little difficulty in forgiving our excellent judge as she has made me complicit in raiding the kitchen! Great job Tamia!
06-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Absolutely agree with the winning photo. One look at that photo was all I needed (that, and a cupcake!). Congrats to J8B!
06-23-2017, 12:56 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, thanks for the 3rd place!! Good job everybody, that was a tasty challenge
06-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your kind words everyone. Noel, sorry! Now repeat after me: I will eat in moderation. I will eat in moderation... (I'm waiting for this to work for myself!)

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Well now I have something against the host of this challenge, and every entry. There goes my only possession, oops, (sorry Engelbert Humperdinck ) I meant my diet and all attempts at losing weight, keeping me kitchen bound, scrummaging through the fridge/freezer for any steak, turkey and whatever is available, and inducing a visit to the supermarket for some cupcakes and other sweet treats. Not fair . But being the forgiving fellow that I am, I'll not hold it against ya all . That would have been my winning choice as well, superb details on that cupcake, wonderful colors and composition. Worthy winner. A hearty congratulations J8B. And heartily extended to Arjay Bee and Hattifnatt. Uhm, I am having a little difficulty in forgiving our excellent judge as she has made me complicit in raiding the kitchen! Great job Tamia!