Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Weekly Challenge #391 — Long Exposure Night Photography
Posted By: J8B, 06-20-2017, 05:19 PM

I'm honored to have been chosen as winner of last week's Weekly Challenge, Make Me Hungry or Thirsty!, and have been racking my brain to think of a theme for this week's contest. Thanks very much to the previous host Tamia, and to the great photos that were entered as part of that challenge. Would also like to thank everyone for the nice feedback on my cupcake photo, and those who “liked” it.

I had a few different themes in mind for this week. I really like landscape photography, so 'The Monochrome Landscape' was one that sprang to mind. Another was 'Extraordinary Ordinary' because I love the old quote "It's better to take an extraordinary photo of something ordinary, than a ordinary photo of something extraordinary". I was sure that a theme with such a title would never have been done before, but challenge #99 did! So I've gone with another favorite of mine, 'Long Exposure Night Photography'. I'll leave it open as to the subject, so street corners, landscapes, seascapes, cityscapes, indoors, etc. ... it's all up for grabs. It doesn't have to be in the dead of the night either, some of the best times are the twilight period just before sunrise / after sunset. I should also clarify that by long exposure I'm thinking anything of 1 second or longer.

Now, on to how I'll judge. Borrowing Stu/SMF/Tamia's words: "I plan to judge on the basis of quality of the image, with the possibility of bonus points for what I think is originality."

This contest will close at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time, USA) Tuesday, June 27th, and will be judged on Wednesday, June 28th.

Rules for all the Weekly Challenges: Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week. This challenge is Pentax/Ricoh/Samsung cameras only.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Ricoh/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented. The host/judge will post winners' names in a separate thread, and will send a private message (PM) the winner to pass the baton on. The winner will then host the next Challenge, and post a new thread with a subject or theme of his/her choosing.

A few examples. Good luck!

Last edited by J8B; 06-20-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Views: 4,717
06-24-2017, 10:59 AM - 3 Likes   #16

Lewis-Clark Valley with Milkyway

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-24-2017, 09:25 PM - 6 Likes   #17

Cape Neddick Light Station in York Maine, better known as Nubble Light, is dressed in its holiday finest for Christmas in July. Photographed with the K-5 + Sigma 17-70mm lens at 50mm, f9, 13 seconds.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-25-2017, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is my first attempt of night photography with long exposure.
It is taken in the harbor of Port el Kantaoui.
iSO 200 f16 @25 seconds. Somehow LR on my ipad wipes some of the exif data when i convert from RAW to JPG.
I use my ipad pro for all my editing as 1) i am on holiday and 2) my ipad is way faster than my old desktop.
If someone has an idea on how to keep all the exif data or how to copy them back in would be great.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-25-2017, 08:23 AM - 4 Likes   #19
eva
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lightning guerrilla Is dedicated to the production and presentation of contemporary visual and new media art, whose basic expression is the medium of light.One of the objectives of the festival is to create a different image of the city with light objects, installations and projections and bring contemporary art closer to a wider audience.
The installation of Andrej Stular on the facade of the former Cukrarna Palace palmed a series of illuminated silhouettes, whose composition resembles film framing.Content is the topic of the structure of a stranger.The author's minimalist interpretation of the stranger stems from a skepticism about an anonymous, unknown person who hides a full-blooded life.As the author says, sometimes people remember the memories, but they are difficult to understand because they are not ours.
f/8, ISO 125, 10 s,K-5,hd da 21mm

06-25-2017, 09:24 AM - 7 Likes   #20

Outside my town, in the countryside, between miles and miles of wheat and barley crops...
Pentax K-S2, ISO 2500, f/2.8, 20s, Samyang 10mm f/2.8 ED AS NCS CS Lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 

Last edited by Hyperfocal; 06-25-2017 at 09:35 AM.
06-26-2017, 12:08 PM - 5 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A 10 sec exposure @ Zoo Lake

Last edited by noelcmn; 06-26-2017 at 12:19 PM.
06-27-2017, 11:04 AM - 5 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Skull Rock, Joshua Tree NP

My friend and I went out two weekends ago to have some fun with Milky Way photography in Joshua Tree NP. Took shameless advantage of these two gentlemen who showed up and light-painted Skull Rock. I got a couple better shots of the Milky Way (lower ISO) but nothing was as fun to look at as this.

Pentax K70
Rokinon 16 mm f/2

6400 ISO
10 s exposure
f/2.5

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
06-27-2017, 02:29 PM - 4 Likes   #23

This was shot opposite of the Louvre in Paris. Pentax K-50
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
06-27-2017, 03:10 PM   #24
J8B

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who has entered so far. Lots of great shots. We've got just under 6 hours left, so there is still time to get an entry in.
06-27-2017, 09:16 PM   #25
J8B

Original Poster
This week's challenge is now closed. The winners thread is up now. Thanks to everyone who participated.

Last edited by J8B; 06-27-2017 at 10:22 PM.