Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Weekly Challenge #391 — WINNERS of Long Exposure Night Photography
Posted By: J8B, 06-27-2017, 10:12 PM

Lots of great entries for this weeks 'Long Exposure Night Photography' challenge. It's a favourite form of photography for me. You never quite know what you'll get with a long exposure, and being out at a quieter time of the day is always enjoyable.

This weeks entries:

SpecialK: A nice shot and well framed. It's a different take on the usual Mt Rushmore photos you see, and I like the pale blue sky colour too. I can certainly sympathise with the out of focus issues at Mt Rushmore. I'm in Australia, so my visit in 2015 is probably the only time I'll get there, and I managed to somehow misfocus most of my shots there too.

charliezap: I don't think I've ever seen a night sky photo through a pool enclosure, so points for innovation there A nicely exposed black and white image of the stars, with some interesting foreground detail.

restlesssoul: Welcome to the forum and the Weekly Challenges. You've got some nice reflections of the shed happening there. It contrasts with the deep blue sky nicely, and a touch of colour with the boats ties in well too.

atupdate: A nicely composed image with lots of little starbursts. I like the framing with the foreground fence, giving it some balance.

RGlasel: Go to love how a night scene can turn almost into day like this. That's one of the great things about long exposure night photography, your're never sure quite what it will look like.

slowpez: A lovely Grand Canyon shot. I like the restrained colours of the after sunset light. Lots of detail and colour graduations, well done.

mattb123: A very well executed multi-image composite. Lots of interesting elements all come together well here - stars and meteors in the sky, the lovely cloud, rock formation, tree and firelight. A tricky scene to correctly expose, well done.

rod_grant: Looks like you got a nice and sharp image from your improvised tripod What ever it takes to get the shot! Looks a bit like the Melbourne skyline.

Hattifnatt: Wow, a great shot. Those long clouds, misty water, and good sharpness front to back. There is a lot to like here. All nicely exposed and framed, well done.

Patriot: Looks like you've turned night into day there Lovely colours and detail, with some bonus stars in the sky. A nice composition that has been very well executed.

Stephen Hampshire: Some nice lead in lines with the glowing railway tracks heading into the distance here. I always like the movement of clouds with long exposures, and it's certainly an interesting affect with the moon in behind the clouds.

Tamia: Points for originality here! Certainly an interesting artistic effect, with just enough detail to roughly distinguish the sky, road etc.

robgski: Full points for innovative here! It's a technique that I have never tried. Is that a cowboy hat on the ghost

Tom Jordon: Welcome to the forum and the Weekly Challenges. I've always found it difficult to capture the milky-way over populated areas, but you've managed to get some nice detail and colours in the sky there. Well done.

Pentaxguy: A lovely little scene here, that comes together with the nice composition you've chosen. We've got some foreground reflections, lovely framed buildings and lighthouse, and a touch of blue in the sky. Welcome to the forum and the Weekly Challenges.

Vaskebjorn: A nice first attempt at long exposure night photography, and bonus points for getting out there and giving it a go for the challenge this week. I like the starburst right on the edge of the ship's stern, and the nice colours you've picked up there.

eva: A really nice shot, and great background info on the scene you've captured. I like the way you've framed this from the side, rather than choosing a front on composition. It's also well exposed, and nicely framed.

Hyperfocal: Welcome to the forum and the Weekly Challenges. A great first up entry too! Beautifully captured image of the night sky, with just a nice slither of the land to balance the image. I like how the milky-way extends vertically up from the high point of the land. The orange glow over the horizon adds to the image too. Well done.

noelcmn: A nice shot across the lake with a nicely coloured sky to contrast the deep green of the trees. Well done. Some nice red and orange reflected colour also adds to the image.

EBirdy: That is a nice interesting shot, with a satellite or shooting star in the background? You've picked up the stars nicely here, and I like the addition of the photographers. They add an extra dimension to the shot.

Pentathlete: What a great image. There a lot to like here. Lovely colours, great composition, nice reflections and exposed well. The deep blue sky really makes the image. Welcome to the forum and the Weekly Challenges.

It was tough picking a winner from the entries this week.

Third Place: Tie between Hattifnatt & Pentathlete (I couldn't split them)

Second Place: Hyperfocal

First Place: mattb123

Honorable mention to slowpez for the Grand Canyon shot. My eyes keep going down, wanting to see a bit more of the canyon and a little less sky, but it was a close fourth.

Thanks to everyone for contributing and the great images we saw. Over to mattb123 for the next weekly challenge. Good luck!

Last edited by J8B; 06-27-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Views: 1,452
06-27-2017, 10:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good choices.
06-28-2017, 02:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Good choices.
Can't argue with you on that. Many great images in this challenge.

Tim
06-28-2017, 02:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, 3rd place again, thanks! Good job everybody, now let's see what Matt comes up with!

06-28-2017, 03:00 AM   #5
eva
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the winners ,HMs and to all participants.Special thanks to J8B for comenting on each photo and interesting challenge!

Last edited by eva; 06-28-2017 at 04:41 AM.
06-28-2017, 06:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Great challenge J8B and always appreciate reading the comments on each entry. Congratulations to Matt on the win and Hyperfocal, Hattifnatt and Pentathelete on the second and third slots. Perfect choices.
06-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks! Congrats to the rest of the podium too! Lots of worthy images in this contest.
Now I need to come up with a new theme. Hmmmm.

06-28-2017, 07:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Now I need to come up with a new theme. Hmmmm.
I suggest you don't pick Dogs Posing on Mountains. You've cornered that market. Congrats on your win.

Tim
06-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I suggest you don't pick Dogs Posing on Mountains. You've cornered that market. Congrats on your win.

Tim
But since I can't win my own comp maybe that would open that market up a little!
Thanks.
06-28-2017, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #10

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and for commenting each photo, I really appreciate it.
Wow. Second place... Thank you so much!!!. I also want to thank all of you for all those fantastic photos. They are great!
Congratulations to the winner!!! and the awarded!!

06-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No arguments here about the choice of winners, FABULOUS STUFF! Congrats Mattb123, Hyperfocal, Hattifnatt, Pentathlete and the HM, Slowpez. So much to learn from all these images, great challenge, thanks to our host, J8B for that, and the comments and critiques. Always appreciated.
06-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations to the winner, and well done to everyone else who participated.

QuoteOriginally posted by J8B Quote
Is that a cowboy hat on the ghost
No, just a trick of the light.
06-30-2017, 06:20 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There were inspiring and stunning shots in this contest! Thanks for hosting, J8B, and for taking time to comment on entries. Congratulations Matt, Hyperfocal, Hattifnatt and Pentathlete, and Susan for the HM. All well deserved wins.