Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners: Project 52, Week 14 - Vanishing Point
Posted By: tpeace, 08-22-2008, 12:35 PM

Kudos to the tech staff for getting the site back up and running.

I'll try to give feedback on every photo posted. In the end they are simply my opinions so feel free to ignore me comments if you disagree.

Note: (Titles listed here are my own working notes)

Douglas_of_Sweden (Movie Poster)

Creative, yet literal interpertation of the topic. Somehow I get the idea you were one of the kids who enjoyed correcting the math teacher in school.

MrApollinax (curving railroad tracks)

I like the way the tracks curve into the picture here. They guide the eye right to the center. Unfortunately, there isn't much going on there to hold the interest. But this is a very good example of how you can use lines to dictate how the viewer will experience the photo.

AXL (Misty Hyde Park)

The use of B&W really sets the mood nicely here. I'm getting gloomy and I think I'd be afraid to walk down that path.

xs400 (buildings) (ELIG)

The reflected images add a lot of interest to this picture. And the ledges between floors build a sort of visual ladder that give some sense of texture. I wonder if you had moved a little to the left (and back a bit ) if the mirrored images would have converged together at the point where the tops of the buildings meet.

mithrandir (Wizard walking in woods) (ELIG)

There are some things I really like about this effort. One, tops in the creative department. and the positioning of the inserted frames set up a very nice curving journey for the viewer's eye to traverse - this really re-inforces the theme of the wizard in motion away from the camera.

I'm a little bothered by a couple of things that hold you back. First, the wizard doesn't get smaller in the middle insert image. I'd have thought there would be a consistent reduction in size and then he'd be gone in the final insert on the right. Also, the positioning of the left most insert over the tree trunks bothers me. If you'd erase just the left edge overlaying those trees it would look cleaner to me. And maybe a little reduction of the brightness of the trees to blend in a bit better.

timbo13 (Kids on path) (ELIG)

The layout is very nice and both the path and tree lines lead the viewer to wonder what might lie ahead. But I don't sense that the kids are very happy on this hike. Until I read your caption I got the impression these where kids on their way to school.

MrApollinax (Tree with Yellow ribbons) (ELIG)

I think this would have worked better for me if you had used a wider angle. The ribbons just don't have enough room on the frame to tell their story. Also, get down on the ground and shoot up the ribbons to display the lines that will solidly convey the vanishing point.

Bud (snowy journey) (ELIG)

I like this shot a lot. But it doesn't convey vanishing point to me. I'm seeing a man walking towards the camera - more of an emergence than a vanishing. My apologies if I've got this completely wrong.

Ok, since rule 7 was in effect this week the eligible photos for judging are:

xs400 - Vertical glass
mithrandir's - Vanishing wizard
timbo13 - Kids on path
Bud - Snowy journey

It always seems cruel to have to leave out worthy entries, but there must be a judge next week so here are this week's choices (after consulting with the Russian ice skating judges

Runner-up:
mithrandir's - vanishing wizard

Winner: xs400 - Vertical glass

Congratulations to everyone for making judging as difficult as always!

Regards,
Tom

Last edited by tpeace; 08-22-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Views: 1,888
08-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
WOW, I can't believe I was the winner. Thanks very much!!
Frank
08-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's a great shot Frank - looks like one of the Oracle Buildings ? Nice job all.
08-23-2008, 03:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

thanks for the judging, Tom, I appreciate the comments. I thought Frank's was the best, too. Regarding my image, it was the end of the hike and they were tired. It was the best shot I could come up with this week.

on to the next challenge!

08-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
That's a great shot Frank - looks like one of the Oracle Buildings ? Nice job all.
Thanks Dave. That is indeed, one of the Oracle Buildings.
08-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Tom,

Just got back from a weekend retreat. Thanks for taking so much effort in judging. Your comments were right on. I am grateful for the careful analysis; I am sure it will help all of us to improve our work in the future.

Best regards

Rob
08-25-2008, 05:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

By the way, Frank, I really like the way you used the lighting on your shot. It really adds to the effect.

Rob

08-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
By the way, Frank, I really like the way you used the lighting on your shot. It really adds to the effect.

Rob
Rob,
Thanks very much for your comment. It's grealy appreciated.
Frank