Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Winners #398: "Sow's Ear to Silk Purse"
Posted By: dlneubec, 09-09-2017, 03:37 PM

Great job all! Thanks for giving this a shot. Here are my thoughts:

Slowpez: I like with the original, but the alternate takes it to another level. Not sure how you even thought of doing that, but you got a beautiful result!

Charliezap: The original is a nice shot of the subject, but the new background and colors of the altered photo transports us back in time and looks like it could have been taken then. Very effective solution!

Atupdate: The original is a nicely composed shot. The revised photo refocuses us on the fence traversing into the background to that great barn, making it a standout.

Bruce Clark: Like the others, the original is a nice shot. However, the new version really pops and adds considerable drama. Takes me back to my water skiing days.

Ramseybuckeye: Here again we have a nice original. I really like how the altered version dates it. The guitars curved edge seems to stand out in contrast with the increased texture on the cabinet.

Barbara fu: this is the first one that is more like a sow’s ear. You really pulled a lot of color, depth and texture out of that dark sky!

Noelcmn: now this was a true sow’s ear! You were able to completely transform it. It now looks like an original etching.

specialK: nice cleanup job! Combined with the crop, the color enhancement and the resulting pop of the subject and the background element, you ended up with a very cool shot.

Winners:

It was a toss up for me between Charlie Zapp and Bruce Clark's efforts. Here is how I ended up.

3rd place: Slowpez, for a thoroughly transformed and beautiful result.
2nd place: Bruce Clark, for a wonderful, dramatic result.
1st place: Charliezap gets the nod for me; transformative like the others, but yours came from a more deficient original than the others. Great job!

Thanks to all for participating!

---------- Post added 09-09-17 at 03:55 PM ----------

Sorry, I can't seem to get the winners photo to post!

Last edited by dlneubec; 09-09-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Views: 1,186
09-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to Charlie, Bruce, and Susan. Here is the very worthy winner (right click on the image/clck on copy image address/click Insert Image icon in your post and remove the extra https at the beginning of the image address after you past it in the insert image dialog box).

Tim
09-09-2017, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Good choice. Thanks for commenting on them all.
09-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the assist and guidance, Tim. Much appreciated.

09-10-2017, 07:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Charlie, I knew that one was a winner when I saw it. Just fantastically done. Congrats to Bruce on second place. That was a great shot too. Appreciate all the comments on the entries Dan. Looking forward to the next challenge.
09-10-2017, 07:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once again I'm honored to be hosting the Weekly challenge.The hardest part is thinking of a new theme for the challenge but I think that I have one selected that will be fun to try.I should have it ready sometime today. Congrats to Susan and Bruce and kudos to Dan for a fine job of judging.--charliezap
09-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Charliezap-fab shot, Fab PP. And extended to Susan and Bruce. A hearty thanks to our host for the challenge and comments.

09-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic job Charlie! Congratulations, Bruce and Susan, also excellent! Very good challenge dlneubec!