Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WINNERS- Weekly Challenge #400- Abstracts with water
Posted By: noelcmn, 09-28-2017, 12:14 PM

Well now, the headache is in full swing. What a wonderful array of skilled photographers here. All on the button as it were. And seeing I was having trouble choosing a winner, I roped in some members of my youth group (they were here this evening for a church meeting) to help me. That was an exercise in hopelessness. All I got out of them- “that one Mr Noel” as we proceeded to view each image. One was honest enough to say “I don’t know”. Back to my usual and fully subjective criteria-what is the impact of the image on me the viewer and what does it tell me about the photographer? These are my thoughts.

Smf- Near the Pier-The opening shot setting the bar rather high with this abstract of waves, a favourite of mine, but I gather also of many a Forumite here. Colour spot on, and I like the diagonal angle you have chosen for this not to mention the wonderful details. A palpable image to want to touch.

Slowpez-Smoke and Ice-Wow, my initial reaction, and one that recurred every time I looked at this. Top marks for technique. The colours are just wonderful, as are those planetary blobs of oil, and the swirly water add even more abstractions. Worthy to look at for a long time, and I can just imagine this on a wall in an art gallery occupying centre stage. One for the home wall!

mikeSF- My apologies again for the misunderstanding about the rules, and I am obliged to choose one of your three submission, all of the a stunner in their own right. I’m opting for the first one, not only for the soft appealing pastel colours, but I also like the diagonal across the image, fading into infinity at top right. Very nice technique and if this was from your early days in photography, your current ones must be awesome.

wstruth - Milky Way- Oh wow! Great eye to see abstract possibilities, and I’d wager few of us would find anything photo-worthy with something like that. B/W does it justice, and some titbits of planetary details add to a very interesting abstract. Beautifully done!

Alpeterson – Splash- Yet another fantastic display of technique, using something as ordinary as kids jumping in water, and creating an absorbing abstract. Colour spot on, and another image utilising diagonal elements in composition. Subtle starbursts complete this image. Very nice!

Charliezap-A surprise abstract when seen up close – Fabulous! That’s the value of a camera. For such a deep crop, the sharpness is impressive as is the details. Wonderful reds here, always a winning colour and just love those black rings around the drops. Superb!

Geomez-untitled – Lovely, combination of blue, greens and white, in what I assume is moving water, here rendered in a moving abstract. And yet another abstract employing diagonals in composition with strong irregular lines. Good composition!

Aaacb – Water and oil on a green background- Who does not love green? A very intriguing image, and impressive technique you employed here. I’d be interested to know what this was in- clear glass container? Love that strip of gold arching across the upper part of the image, breaking the green very nicely. And a sense of movement from OOF to sharp focus is also very nice here. Great shot!

SpecialK- Glassy Sea- Well done on seeing the potential of this, not exactly abstract potential by any means, and yet you’ve pulled if off very nicely. Appreciate the movement from the abstract to the more concrete, and that fella conveys that rather nicely. Like the colours on this too!

Dave2k – Flowing water – Great idea, very well executed too. Van Gogh would approve! Just enough hints of colour there to break up the almost monotone image. Very engaging image.

Vaskejborn- untitled – The white balance may be off, but it still appeals as an abstract, with some movement too. It’s a lovely blue, and some fine details in the shot. An intriguing shot too- Whatever is that thing that the swan is heading for? Nice!

Dlneubec- DVD with water droplets- I had wondered if we would see one of these. Cd’s have great potential for creativity, especially abstracts, colourful ones at that. This is very nice, colourful, engaging with a variety of shapes and patterns. Great shot

ArjayBee – Pond back water- excellent photographers eye here, potential seen, captured and presented so very well. Love your PP here, and loads to explore. And as with Slowpez’s image, I can see this in a public gallery, with visitors staring at this for a long time. FAB shot!

Sqideyes – Rain on my windscreen- Were you driving? Seems like it, with the wind driving those droplets at an angle. A familiar scene, made absorbingly interesting. I am most intrigued by that wonderful light you have coming in from the right. An approaching vehicle lights. If so, then this is even more impressive as it tells me something of your timing and technique. Super stuff!

NickDB- Water on sand at sunset- you may think its luck, I doubt it! This is excellent, and while it may be something familiar, here your angle has given the scene a very appealing twist of the right kind. Wonderful colours too boot, and the alternating between light and dark is superb! I reckon it has very little to do with luck, much rather a keen photographers eye! One to hang at the entrance to the home, with full bragging rights!

Djb47 – River abstraction – Wonderful. And yet another all too familiar scene, and one which I am ever at odds with, having tried repeatedly to capture something like this, most failed. This one definitely not! Solid composition with a diagonal slant and a hodgepodge of patterns and ripples. But the colours are what grabs me- just wonderful! Keen photographers eye there! Keep using it!

Jacamar- Water droplet reflections- I may not forgive you for making me envious . Superb! My eye is roving from droplet to droplet, to compare the details of the flowers in each one. I like all that flare coming in with each drop too. Super duper shot!

Barbara Fu- City hall fountain at sunset – I may also not forgive you for making me want to have a cooling dive right there. Gorgeous light and as with NickDB’s shot, lovely interplay between the light and dark in this shot. Good eye to see an opportunity.

whk1992- birdy and abstracts- Subterfuge! That’s what I call it, trying to win over the judge with birds and abstracts! It almost worked . No problem with birdies and abstracts, they go well together as seen here. Abstract enough, good composition, colour, sharp and wonderful details. Join the others in the queue of the unforgiven!

StephenHamspshire – Untitled. One of the images that drew an immediate response from one of my young people- That one Mr Noel! Why? I don’t know, it’s just very nice, to which I heartily concurred. Colour and composition is superb! As are the details, sharp where it’s wanted. Superb!

Eva- Untitled- Great shot, well seen, and love the low angle you have gone for here. Lovely colours, thos blobs of blue are wonderful! Intriguing photo too!

Hattifnatt-Untitled- Ah- an out of the box thinking- the only one of its kind in this challenge. Superbly done, I am amazed at the sharpness of the light streaks- accomplished technique yes? But it is the excellent composition that grabs me- light streaks wedged between two “clouds” of wispy smoke is wonderful! Kudo’s to the photographer.

1st spot to Slowpez- Wonderful creativity, lovely pastel colours.

2nd Spot to NickDB- Simply wonderful, soul tugging I-want-to-be-there-to-see-that shot!

3rd spot to Arjay Bee- Wonderful eye, wonderful PP on this.
HM’s : Jacamar and StephenHampshire

Now to enjoy my late supper of Noodles and Sausage!
Views: 989
09-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks “mr Noel” for this challenge and the extensive remarks. It was fun finding a photo and looking at all the great entries.

And, congratulations to Slowpez for this win. I liked the photo a lot.

Looking forward to the next challenge.
09-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I cannot express how honored I am to have won last weeks challenge. Congratulations to Nick and Arjay on their wonderful images as well as those of Jacamar and Stephen. Noel, a wonderful challenge and thank you for commenting on all the entries. Enjoy your noodles and sausage as you certainly earned it.
I have asked Nick if he can host next week's challenge as we are going to be out of town unexpectedly for most of October.
09-28-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Thank you for the third place, Noel - very privileged given the standard of the other images. I enjoyed them all. Great effort all round.

09-28-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks for taking the time for all the comments, and congrats to Slowpez.
09-28-2017, 11:23 PM   #6
eva
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the winners Slowpez,NickDB,Arjaj Bee ,HM's and all participants .Great challenge.Thx noelcmn for comenting on each photo.
09-29-2017, 12:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazing images this round - congratulations everybody! good choice of winner, Susan's shot has something hypnotic about it, I kept looking at it for a few good minutes. Looking forward to the next challenge!

09-29-2017, 04:40 AM   #8
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations to all, and thanks to Noel.
09-29-2017, 05:11 AM   #9

Good choices, Noel. Glad I didn't have to judge this one! I almost didn't enter after seeing Susan's shot, because I had nothing in mind that might compare, so no surprise to see it on top. There were a lot of special shots submitted, in my book.

Also, thanks for the kind comments. I'm just recently back into photography again (since my college days 35+ years ago) and have a lot to learn using the new digital gear, editing software, techniques, etc. so any learning experience and encouragement is particularly valuable to me.
09-29-2017, 05:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats to the winners and to Noel for a fine job of judging and commentary.Looking forward to Susan's challenge.---charliezap
09-29-2017, 08:38 AM   #11

Noel - well done, you garnered some high quality images and congrats to slowpez (Susan) on an amazing piece of work. She has passed the buck down to me to present a topic and image for the next one, so I will trawl through some of my better shots to come up with something worthy as I host the next challenge! I'll put up the link once I've decided what to do.
Regards to all.
Nick
09-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats to Slowpez and the other winners, and thanks to Noel for his helpful comments.
09-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Congratulation to the winners!
Nice job everyone, and thank you Noel for your efforts of being the judge and your comments.