Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge 402 - Adventure Winners
Posted By: mattb123, 10-17-2017, 02:13 PM

Nice variety of interpretations here and some fine images. Even though I didn't say it up front, I feel like adventure photos need people or some essence of people or they just become landscape shots. So I'm sorry to say those of you who submitted those nice landscapes didn't win.

The photo I felt best represented the theme and was a well executed image was the shot from marcodagi. It had all the elements, beautiful scenery, people interacting with it, and it's technically good. Nice work, you win!

Second place goes to Tamia with that kayak shot. I've done some of that and it's often terrifying and then very satisfying to have survived! It's technically good and might have been a winner but being slightly late just nudged you into second place. Great shot!

Third place goes to the Bancock travel adventure photo from eva. So much activity here I think I'd feel pretty overwhelmed being there and that would make it an adventure for sure. Great shot!

Nice work everyone else, too. Here's a comment for each of you. Next topic will come from marcodagi. Thanks for playing!

SpecialK - Yes, pretty sedate although that girl in the front looks ready for adventure!
atupdate - looks like an interesting place to visit. The silhouettes are nice.
Vaskebjorn - should I assume this was meant to display rotated 90 degrees CCW? Looks like a great way to have an adventure and I imagine it has been on more than a few.
aaacb - Yes, ballooning is often an adventure with that nondirectional uncertainty! Nice shot.
marcodagi - Nice shot. Panoarama? Great vista and the inclusion of people shows some adventure.
charliezap - Yes, those kids are surely having a great adventure!
dlneubec - Nice sunset shot and that sure is a fun adventure to be boating on those big lakes.
kev.vanmeter - Fantastic landscape and while I imagine getting the should would have been an adventure, I think having perople in it somewhere would more clearly clarify it as of adventure. Still a great photo!
eva - Wow, that's a lot of humanity and surely a bit of an adventure to be a part of it as a visitor!
djb47 - Beautiful scenery and it looks like it would be great for hiking. I like the inclusion of people with the landscape!
Hattifnatt - Gorgous landscape but where are the adventurers? Fantastic light and would be a contender if it more clearly said "adventure".
Sqideyes - lovely scene and an area I'd really like to visit one day when I visit my family in Perth. Nice combination of scenery and people.
noelcmn - Looks like a fun little adventure! I might be nervous about wildlife encounters in a craft like that in Africa!
nguye612 - I guess I didn;t realize they had mountains there either! Nice light and contrast with the sky here.
jacamar - lovely scene and I'm sure they are enjoying the adventure, especially the kid!
Tamia - great image and I can assure you from my whitewater kayaking days that going under with a drop like that is definitely exhilarating!
Views: 2,189
10-18-2017, 02:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome winning shot that- lovely sense of scale, and stunning landscape! Worthy winner-Congrats marcodagi. And extended to Eva, another awesome shot, so vibrant and full of life. And not forgetting Tamia (nice to see you again) with a shot that, while adventurous for sure, is not for a couch potato like me . Thanks Matt-super Challenge, and for the comments and critiques- a learning curve that one!
10-18-2017, 02:31 AM   #3
eva
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats to marcodagi ,Tamia and all participants.Thx Mattb123 for commenting on each photo.

Last edited by eva; 10-18-2017 at 08:47 AM.
10-18-2017, 02:52 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulation marcodagi, Tamia and Eva and to all the participants, there were a lot of amazing entries this challenge and many thanks to Matt - wonderful job judging and commenting on all the entries.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Hattifnatt - Gorgous landscape but where are the adventurers?
Usually they are behind the camera

Funny thing is that I was hesitating between five pictures and in the end I decided to go on with the only one that didn't have people in it Here are the other four:

... but alas, too late now... waiting for the next challenge!

10-18-2017, 05:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That first one would have been a winner! Superb!
10-18-2017, 05:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to the winners. Well done all.
10-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you, Matt. I had not intended to enter because I was late, so am surprised for a podium place. Congratulations Marcodagi for your superb alpine photo, and Eva for your colorful and exciting Bangkok photo. What an adventure those trips must have been for you both! Hattifnat, I agree with Noel that your first photo of the climbers would have been a winning entry!

10-21-2017, 10:08 PM   #8

Congratulations all!
10-23-2017, 06:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

congrats to all---looking forward to the next challenge.--charliezap
10-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have not heard back from @marcodagi I hope he/she realizes they are on the hook for this week's challenge.
If not then it's up to you @Tamia!
10-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I have not heard back from @marcodagi I hope he/she realizes they are on the hook for this week's challenge.
If not then it's up to you @Tamia!
OK. If everyone agrees, I'll post a new challenge tomorrow if nothing is heard from Marcodagi. What do y'all think?
10-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
OK. If everyone agrees, I'll post a new challenge tomorrow if nothing is heard from Marcodagi. What do y'all think?
That's fine with me, it has been 5 days since Matt announced the winners...

I wrote him/her a message on flickr few seconds ago, maybe he/she will reply.
10-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I'm all for it.--charliezap
10-24-2017, 12:27 AM   #14
Forum Member

Thank you very much, now I need to find what I should to do with next challenge, because I won first time here
10-24-2017, 05:57 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcodagi Quote
Thank you very much, now I need to find what I should to do with next challenge, because I won first time here
I'm off the hook! Seriously, I'm glad to see you've put up a new challenge, Marco. And congratulations again on your win.