Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
Photo Caption Contest -- October 24-30, 2017
Posted By: goatsNdonkey, 10-23-2017, 07:32 PM

Contest is open immediately

The current "thread starter" is the moderator for this week's round of the contest. The moderator must post an original photo at the start of the thread.

Any forum member may invent and post a caption for the photo, posting the caption as a reply in the thread. (More details about submission rules follow farther below.) All readers of the thread, including those posting captions, are encouraged to vote for any and all of the captions they appreciate by "LIKEing" them using the forum's LIKE feature. (Note that this feature prevents a person from voting more than once for any one caption and from voting on any of one's own caption submissions.)

At the end of the contest period, the moderator will count the votes and report who won. In case of a tie the moderator will permitted to place a vote to break the tie, except for that situation the moderator will not be participating in either submitting a caption or voting.

After determination of the contest's winner, that winner will be notified ASAP by the current Moderator/Thread Starter/Contest Host and will become responsible for introducing and moderating the next contest round. The new "thread starter" must post an original photo at the start of the new thread in the "Weekly Challenge" sub-forum category. It is helpful to regular contest participants if the new moderator posts a link to the new contest thread at the end of the caption contest round just finished.

*** Submissions can be in any written form (no video or audio files) — caption, limerick, motivational, poem or prose — whatever inspires you to describe the photo or catch attention. Submit by replying to the thread. Contestants may submit more than one entry but it must be in a separate post

Important:

Even if you do not submit an entry, please “like” any posts you feel deserve it as this is how the winner is chosen. And if you DO submit an entry, please also find an entry that you like from among your competitors' efforts and "like" that one as well. Enter often, vote more often. and most important: Have fun !

And now this week's contest photo submitted by this week's moderator goatsNdonkey:

Views: 2,196
10-23-2017, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How much time have you spent in the pen?
10-24-2017, 02:34 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

The food here is udderly awful.
10-24-2017, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The brochure said, "A room with a view". I had no idea it would be me being, "viewed" .

10-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #5

"No really it's true - you can tell when it's going to rain when they put their umbrellas up"
10-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I demand DNA testing

I didn't do the crime

I shouldn't have to do the time

[ salute to theme song of the TV show "Baretta" starring Robert Blake. ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-24-2017 at 11:23 AM.
10-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
smf
Pentaxian

And some of those people think brown cows give chocolate milk.

10-24-2017, 08:56 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i'm not in the moo'd for this crap.
10-25-2017, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Will you be my pen pal?"
10-26-2017, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #10
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well we're moooooooooooooooooovin on up, To the east side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky.
Mooooooooooooooooooooooovin on up
To the east side.
We finally got a piece of the pie.

[salute to the Jefferson's TV show]
10-26-2017, 10:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First people take my photo without my permission and then they ask why I lost my appetite!?
10-27-2017, 04:44 AM   #12

Concerns raised about the credentials of the newest presidential adviser.
10-27-2017, 05:38 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
* * * Lots of great captions so far! Remember that everyone has until the end of the 30th (my time zone) for any additional caption submissions and for voting (using the LIKE button) for all of your favorites. All PF members may vote, not just those submitting captions.
10-30-2017, 08:04 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
There are only about 14 hours left to submit captions, or more importantly to vote for all of you favorites that have been submitted!

On my first login after the close of the contest, I will total the votes in order to find out who has been selected as winner. I there is a tie, then and only then, will I be able to use my moderator's tie-breaking vote to select a single winner.

Let me remind any potential winner that, in addition to your honors as winner (our cyber cheers and applause), it will become your responsibility, soon after learning of your win, to set up and moderate the next round of the contest (in the "Weekly Photo Challenges" section of the forum) beginning with the contest rules (feel free to cut and paste), followed by a photo of yours which you suspect will give contestants some imaginative fun in generating their captions. Note it is best not to say anything about the photo, so as not to steer those imaginations toward or away from any possible content. After the contest is over, of course, you may fill in any background about the picture, if you wish, or if contestants or voters ask about it.

Again, lets get those votes in. Use the "Like" button at the bottom of caption submissions to vote for them. You may vote for as many captions as you want, but the like feature will not let you vote more than once for any one caption, nor will it let you vote for any captions you submitted. Anyone with a burning desire to submit another caption has very little time to get it posted for voters' consideration.
10-31-2017, 05:08 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Saltwater Images and Todd tied, with two votes each. And as a long-time victim of the pun virus, it was difficult for me to choose between their caption submissions, each of which utilized cow-related puns, in order to cast my moderator's tie-breaking vote. But I have selected the caption by Saltwater Images, "The food here is udderly awful," as this week's winner. Congratulations, Saltwater Images! It will now be your turn to introduce and host the next round of the caption contest. We all look forward to being inspired by the photo you post. I will also PM you that you won. And when you have the new contest thread set up, please post a link to it at the end of this thread, so that all of the recent participants subscribed to this thread will find the new one right away!.

Finally, a bit of background on the photo -- these were three dairy cows, representing different breeds, in the FARM animal section of the Milwaukee Zoo, taken several years ago with a little pocketable point-and-shoot camera. I don't recall the kind of film, but, as I would expect, it was daylight balanced, clear from the yellowish image suggesting the dairy barn was lit by tungsten bulbs. Left to right, the cows are a Holstein, a Brown Swiss, and an I don't know what.