Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Weekly Challenge 404--Neon on Black
Posted By: Barbara Fu, 10-31-2017, 06:10 AM

I'm an 80's kid, grew up watching movies like "Streets of Fire" and "The Lost Boys" and pretty much every Michael Jackson video which embody a certain aesthetic. The colors are bright, often but not necessarily from neon lights, and they reflect off a wet surface and contrast against a black sky.
Don't take that too literally. Bright "neon" colors against black or dark darkness. It could be jewelry on velvet (sadly I don't have that shot) or something like the examples below. If my little Optio can nail these colors, imagine what your beast can do. Please keep the processing subtle if you use any at all.

Contest ends on November 8th, 6pm Korea time so I can judge and post. I'll be watching the Likes in case I can't decide.

The fine print:
Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture (and only one picture) in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for at least 7 days, plus an additional day, if required, for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax/Ricoh (DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge

Read more at:[url= https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/152942-about-weekly-challenges.html[/url]

(excuse the touch-up on the last photo--the monitor on my home computer is a bit more contrasty than the one at work.)

Last edited by Barbara Fu; 11-01-2017 at 03:01 AM.
Views: 2,691
11-01-2017, 06:06 PM - 4 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot of brilliant photos here. Great theme, Barbara! I don't have many to suit this, but thought that a picture demonstrating phenomenon called photoelasticity birefringence might suit:

These are my reading glasses, held up agains the bright display of my laptop, and photographed through a polarized filter. (I started a themed thread on this phenomenon some time back here, where I've described how it's done -- no tricks involved but for the use of the laptop and filter.)

11-01-2017, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i think this is a cool idea for a theme, i re-processed a photo for the theme, this place just stands out in the night, no, it's not a White Castle, but another porcelain clad hamburger joint that date from the same time period as the white castles started.
11-02-2017, 10:33 AM - 6 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chinese Lantern Festival -- Dragon
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
11-02-2017, 11:32 AM - 4 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Serpentine Gallery in Hyde Park, September 2015

11-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #20

Original Poster
Somewhat off-topic--please go vote in the monthly photo contest! I have an entry in it, but looking at the competition--urk. Vote for the ones you think are best. Monthly Contest Nominations - PentaxForums.com
11-03-2017, 06:40 AM - 4 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Neon-darkness and raindrops

Just down the street from me on a rainy dark night at Taco Bell.--charliezap
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
11-04-2017, 05:58 AM - 5 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Reeperbahn

Here's one of mine. Cheers, Christoph.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
11-06-2017, 03:45 AM   #23

Original Poster
24 hours before I get all judgey! I'm hoping for at least one more entry to consider!
11-06-2017, 04:24 AM - 4 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, it says closing date 8th November, by my reckoning that's 48 hours. . You've made me all nervous, so I'm posting just in case the world revolves at a faster pace than normal . The famous Nelson Mandela Bridge at night, all lit up. A dangerous place these days, what with robberies and muggings etc. still a beautiful sight.
11-06-2017, 03:00 PM - 4 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

11-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Hey, it says closing date 8th November, by my reckoning that's 48 hours. . You've made me all nervous, so I'm posting just in case the world revolves at a faster pace than normal . The famous Nelson Mandela Bridge at night, all lit up. A dangerous place these days, what with robberies and muggings etc. still a beautiful sight.
Glad you posted. You're not imagining that--Korea is in the same time zone as Japan, on the leading edge of the dateline. As I type this it's Tuesday morning and I'm getting ready for work.
Awesome photo.
11-07-2017, 12:18 AM   #27

Original Poster
Off work in ten minutes, judging in about 3 1/2 hours.