Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners challenge 404--Neon on Black
Posted By: Barbara Fu, 11-07-2017, 04:16 AM

Picking only three is difficult as hell, but here goes. I looked at them all on my laptop monitor (a bit contrasty, but without distractions), my work monitor (easier to see detail, but canít spend much time on it) and Chromecast to my LED TV for one final look. This is what I came up with.

Third place, pakinjapan. This was the voter favorite and I can see why. It could easily pass for a promotional still from Blade Runner, making it delightfully period as well. The color palette wasnít exactly what I was after, but that wasnít the thing that bumped it out of first for me. Something itched at me, something that was not quite right about Redís stockings. The processing is subtle insofar as I had to use the LED to see it, but once I saw it I couldnít unsee it. The yellow light source is behind her, but sheís lit up from the front. The two red reflection patches in the foreground donít have any sources that I can see, and I used Google Maps to check. Tokyo is magical, but not that magical. I find it ironic that some of your long exposure stuff on your Instagram might have fared even better than this pic.

As Iíve mentioned, Iím a traveler who takes pictures. When I see a photo I like to kid myself that if I stood at that spot at that time Iíd see exactly whatís in the picture.

Second place, sealonsfóThis one drove me crazy. On the laptop it surpassed Mattís, nailing the theme with absolute perfection. I fully expected the guy in the hat to start dancing. A funny thing, though. Checking it on the better monitors and that lovely black pavement proved only gray, the dusky sky merely blue, the silhouettes merely people in shadow. So close. Let me emphasize, though, that this was exactly on point for the theme.

First place, mattb123. Many bright colors in appealing shapes, and the silhouette of the dancer emphasizes the black background. Even though EDM is very 21st century, the picture has that 80ís feel. My favorite from the very start.

Incidentally, class of Ď85

Other pics:
Mark Gelder looks good on home monitor and even better at work. Very natural, and if I had to pick a fourth place this would be it. On par with pakinjapanís for very different reasons.
Vaskebjorn--fantastic, but it's your bad luck that it's only one color
jchorst--I love it, and I aspire to get night shots like that.
Tamia--so cool! I'm going to have to try that!
djb47--I like it. I have a few shots of similar lanterns. Gorgeous colors
SquirrelMafia--you caught a reflection most people would not have even seen
charliezap--great use of water. I just wish the drops had picked up the light a little better
noelcmm--hazardous duty to get a great shot. Reminds me of a bridge I passed over on my one visit to Vladivostok.
SpecialK--cool but no reflections, and is there no Flamingo anymore?
geomez-cool, but the colors are muted compared to some of the other entries
ramseybuckeye--beautiful, but much too painterly. I want this on a poster on my wall
jheu2--neat. I noticed your Yes icon and I'm not surprised at all, given you chose this subject for this picture.
eva--reminds me fondly of Busan at Christmastime
atupdate--beautiful colors, but only one of them, and I just can't believe those stars
slowpez--too abstract for this challenge
Views: 339
11-07-2017, 04:31 AM   #2
eva
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to the winners.Thx Barbara for challenge and comenting on each photo.Excellent contributions from everyone
11-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks! I always thought that image had that 80's feel myself.
Congratulations to the other two on the podium with me, I'm not sure I deserve the top spot against those images!

Now I need to come up with a theme again and it seems like I just did this!
Please stand by...
11-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Mattb123, lovely image, worthy winner in my reckoning, such lovely colors! And extended to Pakinjapan and Sealonsf. Thanks Barbara for the challenge, and the comments and critiques. Well done, a stiff competition but pentaxians have risen to the challenge again!

11-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congratulations to the winners. Well done all, great photos. Thanks Barbara for your comments.
11-07-2017, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barbara Fu Quote

Second place, sealonsf—This one drove me crazy. On the laptop it surpassed Matt’s, nailing the theme with absolute perfection. I fully expected the guy in the hat to start dancing. A funny thing, though. Checking it on the better monitors and that lovely black pavement proved only gray, the dusky sky merely blue, the silhouettes merely people in shadow. So close. Let me emphasize, though, that this was exactly on point for the theme.
Thanks for the second place mention and for the notes to do some post processing. :-) I liked this image because I really love Seattle and it has special (not always good!, but special) memories for me. Congrats to the other winners. Both are great images.

Last edited by sealonsf; 11-08-2017 at 10:22 AM.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to the winners. Good job all. Thanks for commenting on all the entries Barbara, always appreciated. Sorry for my entry being too abstract; someday I will read the requirements but old age has caught up with me for sure. Great challenge with some really wonderful entries.