Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners of weekly challenge #410
Posted By: charliezap, 01-04-2018, 09:55 AM

Thanks to all that entered the challenge.
The lights did flicker here as we are in the midst of a major winter storm/blizzard so I had to get this posted before the power goes out as they are saying may happen around the Boston area.--Congrats to Matt123 for winning the challenge. I am looking forward to his challenge.--charliezap
Name:  011.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  155.3 KB

Name:  2016-12-061.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  192.2 KB

Name:  2016-12-062.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  212.3 KB

Views: 628
01-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the winners and thanks for the honourable mention - I must say that with travels and the climate hereabouts I have quite a few ice images to choose from!
01-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to the winners and many thanks to the host! with Matt experimenting so much with ice lately, we stood no chance now let's see what he comes up with.
01-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Mattb123, Stephenhamshire and Dlneubec, and of course the HM's Jacamar, Hattifnatt and Saltwater images. Thanks CharlieZap, lovely challenge, and just what I needed in sweltering 34C.

01-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Well done Matt!
01-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #6
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Good Job Matt, I for one would love to know how you got the image. Any clues when you post our next challenge?
01-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #7
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations to all, and thanks to everyone who liked my photo.
01-05-2018, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh wow, thanks! Great job to everyone who participated, lots of nice chilly images!
Now I need to come up with a good theme this weekend. Hmmm....

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Good Job Matt, I for one would love to know how you got the image. Any clues when you post our next challenge?
Thanks. I'll tell you right now!
I was shooting the ice and bubbles at sunset and into darkness and once it was getting dark I wanted to add a flash to illuminate them.
I had a flash and my cactus v5 triggers with a small diffuser that has a set of gels you can slide into it to color the light. I was experimenting with how powerful and how far to have the flash from the camera and while it was still twilight, found I wanted more power going into the ice to compete with ambient light. I thought if I could try the bubbles backlit with the flash they may really stand out. But to backlight, the flash will be in the frame unless I can hide it behind something.
So I looked around there there were these chunks of ice near the shore where falling water levels make it buckle and break. I slid this big chunk out to my bubbles very easily, it reminded me of curling (but no broom). Trying to stand it up was a challenge too. It wasn't flat on the edges so I got some smaller ice shards to shim it but they kept sliding out. So I used the knowledge gained as a child when my tongue stuck to something cold and tried a little spit to stick the shims in place and it did the trick!
So with the chunk standing on edge and the flash behind it pointing at its base I shot some photos using the pink gel and this was one of them.
K-1, D FA 15-30/2.8, Sigma 530 Super flash, diffuser + gel.

01-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #9
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Oh wow, thanks! Great job to everyone who participated, lots of nice chilly images!
Now I need to come up with a good theme this weekend. Hmmm....

Thanks. I'll tell you right now!
I was shooting the ice and bubbles at sunset and into darkness and once it was getting dark I wanted to add a flash to illuminate them.
I had a flash and my cactus v5 triggers with a small diffuser that has a set of gels you can slide into it to color the light. I was experimenting with how powerful and how far to have the flash from the camera and while it was still twilight, found I wanted more power going into the ice to compete with ambient light. I thought if I could try the bubbles backlit with the flash they may really stand out. But to backlight, the flash will be in the frame unless I can hide it behind something.
So I looked around there there were these chunks of ice near the shore where falling water levels make it buckle and break. I slid this big chunk out to my bubbles very easily, it reminded me of curling (but no broom). Trying to stand it up was a challenge too. It wasn't flat on the edges so I got some smaller ice shards to shim it but they kept sliding out. So I used the knowledge gained as a child when my tongue stuck to something cold and tried a little spit to stick the shims in place and it did the trick!
So with the chunk standing on edge and the flash behind it pointing at its base I shot some photos using the pink gel and this was one of them.
K-1, D FA 15-30/2.8, Sigma 530 Super flash, diffuser + gel.
Cool, I suspected it might have been some flash magic but I appreciate you taking the time to let us know how you set the shot.
Tom