Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weekly Challenge #414 - "Clouds" Winners
Posted By: NickDB, 02-15-2018, 05:19 AM

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4603/25316101957_fa16d71bb1_b.jpg
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/129-weekly-photo-challenges/...s-k3mh2854.jpg
https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/51801/large/1__IGP7185.jpg

OK Folks - I am calling this one closed a day early as I need to travel shortly. I tend to agree with the overall count of "likes" this week. Positions are as follows:
1) Atupdate
2) Maxcofoto
3) Mconwxdr

Some quick comments below on all entries - but firstly thanks to everyone for participating and for "liking" the shots that attract you - it does help to guide the judge. BUt I admit that I had a hard time pulling only three images onto the podium as there were certainly more than three wonderful and worthy entries:

Atupdate - you won this via a combination of tie-most-likes and my personal impressions. You grabbed a wonderful shot of the transporter taking off into an intriguing pastel sky - I love the background colour and the way the subject is perfectly silhouetted and flying into the image - a great shot!
Bruce Clark - For a "snapshot" over the garden fence this one worked well. I always like silhouettes against colour and this one is a lovely image.
SpecialK - An impressive bank of cumulus clouds, but what's missing (for me) is some sort of foreground subject to give it a focal point of interest.
Robjmitchell - I like this one - it has great contrast and gives me the impression of impending doom (which I'm sure was not the case....)
Mconwxdr - An imposing image and worthy of a podium this week. It probably does work better in B&W than colour as you get the contracts spot on with very white "whites" and rich, dark blacks. I'm also a birder so the raptor flying past is an added bonus for me. Well done!
Matt123 - You always come up with very attractive and interesting images, Matt. I don't know whether this one is a result of a filter or a slow shutter speed and fast-moving clouds scudding across the sky. Either way, it is intriguing to look at. Nice one!
Vaskebjorn - You do seem to get around the world a bit! I am attracted to colour-monochromes and here you have captured nothing but blue and black, which is great! I don't know if you upped the blue filter in an edit or not but it makes a most amazing image which conveys overtures of romantic, distant places.
Eva - Not much I can say from an artistic point of view but thank you very much for sharing your photo with us. It's a pleasant snap shot but doesn't convey too much "drama".
Jchorst - You garnered a lot of "likes" for this shot, because it does indeed project a bit of drama. It looks like the clouds are filtering the sun rays and getting ready to drop some rain. I like this one very much!
Hattifnatt - If I'd been able to declare a tie somehow, you'd have also been on the podium with this shot. You take the kind of images that I like to think I can take and seem to be attracted to the same general images as I am. I love every bit of this one. The colours are beyond attractive - it's a "wow!" classic...
Rglasel - No doubt a well photographed subject. I like the way the sun's rays are breaking through the cloud structure in the background, but I can't work out if teh foreground is too light or too dark to give it gravitas.
rod_grant - You've caught a very similar cloud structure to one of mine. I watched them form with enraptured fascination. That sort of structure has a special name but it escapes me now. Very different.....
Maxcofoto - oiled sky is a perfect name for this shot. It is a worthy podium place-winner and I look forward to seeing much of your work in the future. I have already expressed my interest in silhouetting and the cloud structures and blazing colours make this one almost flawless. Congrats on a great image!
Charliezap - There is nothing wrong with this phot and not much I can say about it other than "fantastic"! I love the rickety subject in the foreground and the colours of the clouds are just my style as well. Thanks for sharing it with us!
Sealonsf - This is a very pleasing picture. You have used the rules well. Your foreground takes up the bottom 1/3 perfectly and the eye is drawn to the vehicle in the middle via the roadway. You also have good contrast between sky and cloud - nice one!
Tfraughton - You and I think alike. I would also have taken this shot if I'd been lucky enough to be there. Lovely line of silhouette in the right place and beautiful cloud formations wearing sunset colours so nicely. Great shot!

Thanks again Pentaxians - we look forward to what Atupdate gives us as a theme for the next week or so.

Last edited by NickDB; 02-15-2018 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Incorrect links to winning photos
Views: 1,011
02-15-2018, 07:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Uhm, I thought this one was to be judged Friday morning. I was about to post an entry, only to discover its closed and judged already. Unless I've got my calendar all wrong. That would not be the first time either .

In any event, Congrats to Atupdate, Maxcofoto and Mconwxdr, Wonderful challenge, attracting the usual high quality submissions. Thanks Nick, for the Challenge and Judging exercise.
02-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great entries in this challenge and I'm honored to be chosen the winner. Next challenge will be up shortly.

Tim
02-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to the winners!
To answer the question about my image, it was a long exposure (105s IIRC) AND fast-moving clouds. Thanks!

02-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to atupdate and the runner ups. I liked a lot of the pictures as i like photos of the skies, the more dramatic the better.
As to the question/remark. The sky was really blue. I might have upped things like contrast a little bit, but not the blue specifically.
03-02-2018, 03:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NickDB Quote
Hattifnatt - If I'd been able to declare a tie somehow, you'd have also been on the podium with this shot. You take the kind of images that I like to think I can take and seem to be attracted to the same general images as I am. I love every bit of this one. The colours are beyond attractive - it's a "wow!" classic...
Thank you and congratulations to the winners!!