Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Winners - Weekly Challenge #415 Rule of Thirds
Posted By: atupdate, 02-23-2018, 11:10 AM

A difficult challenge to judge. Thanks to everyone that entered.

jacamar: I love the crop, the detail, and the simplicity of this image. A great use of the rule of thirds.

Bruce Clark: Iím a big fan of providing space in front of a moving subject. I think you could have cropped off some of the left side and still maintained the rule of thirds.

SpecialK: The placement of the statue meets the rule of thirds. However my eyes are drawn to the statueís eyes, which are closer to the center. I think this is due to an innate attraction to eyes which is made stronger by the shadows.

rod_grant: Shooting from close to the pier gives this a unique perspective. Iím so used to seeing the leading line from the pier coming from bottom of the image. Though the end of the dock is definitely at the top third of the image, the leading line from the shadow sort of gives a center crop perspective.

robjmitchell: I agree with you about the image being interesting. Using a shallow depth of focus to define the main subject is brilliant. I never would have seen this type of image on my own.

charliezap: Not only is there two rule of thirds subjects but they are competing thirds. One looking right and the one looking left. One at the top and one at the bottom of the image. And black verses colorful. I would classify this as a once in a lifetime image. Well done.

Vaskebjorn: What a wonderful looking bird. The only thing that takes away from the image is the branch in front of the bird and you canít control that.

sealonsf: This image appears to have 3 sections, the sky, the land down to the shadowed portion of the water, and the bright part of the water. The rule of thirds is weak in the image.

aaacb: The object emitting the steam is close to the rule of thirds and the rocks act as a leading line towards the building, which is a stronger rule of thirds. My eyes arenít sure which subject is the dominate one.

Hattifnatt: This image is breathtaking. It is hard to not view this image as a whole instead of having a primary subject placed at a rule of thirds site.

noelcmn: Great detail on the bird. I think it would be a stronger rule of thirds with some of the space on the right cropped off.

stephenph: Love the processing of this image. The blue sky looks very inviting after looking at the constantly gray Ohio winter sky. The image does follow the rule of thirds but it looks unbalanced between the amount of sky and land. You could crop some of the sky and still follow the rule of thirds.

dlneubec: The barn is very interesting and the processing of the image is spot on. But the partial tree branches are a bit distracting. My barn picture had the same issue, which needed to be cloned out.

mconwxdr: The sky is wonderful and the perspective interesting. But I have trouble telling what is the strongest point of interest, the whole building, the roof area, the window, or the statues.

djb47: You did a wonderful job with the lighting, as the shadows are very subtle. However, the image looks unbalanced because there is less space above the cup than below the saucer.

mohb: Usually having the bird swimming toward the edge of the frame looks awkward. However, the lady swimmer helps complete the why of the story and provides balance to the image. Well done.

Now for the winners.

1st: jacamar Ė I did not expect to see an image like this. I found myself comparing all of the other images to this one.

2nd: Charlizap Ė A once in a lifetime capture that I wish was mine.

3rd: robjmitchell Ė Very out of the box and I like that.

The fine print:
Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Tim
Views: 504
02-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you Tim - that's fantastic! I really wasn't expecting this, given the quality of the submissions including the other winners. I have to admit that there's an unfair advantage to shooting birdlife in Florida. The birds are usually quite tame and charismatic and the light is good - unlike where we are now in the Great Lakes region.
I'll get back to everyone with a new theme over the next day or two.
02-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Jacamar, wonderful image, worthy winner imho. And extended to Charliezap and Robjmitchell for their podium places. And thanks to Atupdate, for the challenge, and the judging exercise. Super challenge, and super submissions too!
02-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Thanks for the comments Tim, Congrats to the Jacamar and everyone else for competing!

02-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great challenge and well done to the winners.

Thanks for your honest assessment and comments much appreciated