Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge#416 - "The View Through" - WINNERS!
Posted By: jacamar, 03-07-2018, 02:36 PM

Winners of the March 2018 PF Challenge – “The View Through”
I was pleased with the number of responses to this challenge and, as I hoped, it produced some interesting and dramatic variations on the theme. I have always appreciated other judges’ comments on entries to previous challenges so I have tried to do the same, but please don’t mistake me for an expert – this is just one person’s reactions!

RGlasel: In this whimsical shot there’s an element of framing between the two people but I don’t really feel my eye being pulled through to the scene beyond.

Robjmitchell: Well framed, with good foreground and staged views through the window into the distance.

Atupdate:, A chain link fence is often seen as a disadvantage but is used here to express the theme.

Charliezap: The eye moves around among the various layers of detail but ultimately the person’s stare directs the viewer’s attention to the view through the window.

Vaskebjorn: The Highland cow/bull has a lot of character. The framing between the trees would be even better if the lighting was stronger on the tree to the right.

Hattifnatt: An Interesting view through both the screen and the gap in the screen.

Bruce Clark: A nice moody shot through the mist, with the perspective enhanced by the more distant and indistinct trees behind the trees in the mid/foreground.

SpecialK: This one catches both a framed foreground and a more distant view. Wish we had more of that kind of light where we are!

Minimonster: An interesting frame, although the snow squall doesn’t leave much for the eye to rest on in the garden beyond.

Djb47: Great expression of theme, with both a frame and a “see – through” barrier, with interesting subject matter to draw the eye through.

Dwalker: Nice sky and foreground texture, and I like the way the wood frame echoes the shape of the mountain in the distance.

Aaacb: Very dramatic framing – it reminded me of the opening to those old James Bond movies! I like the way the floor reflection helps carry the eye to and beyond the silhouette.

Dlneubec Interesting subject matter. I would have tried to get an unobstructed (but framed) view of the butterfly, but that's just me.

Ramseybuckeye: Great shot but the fence wire seems secondary to the wonderful streams of light.

Noelcmn: Interesting shot with nice texture in the wall - the view of windmill though the two frames requires a “double-take”.

Eva: A great expression of theme. The woman’s half - glance through the gap establishes a connection with the camera.

Among a field crowded with good entries I think Aaacb’s high-contrast image stands out through its sense of drama.

Special commendations also to Robjmitchell, Bruce Clark and Djb47.

Last edited by jacamar; 03-08-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Views: 317
03-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to Aacb, it is indeed a very dramatic and “film-like” photo.
I liked the subject and I am curious about our next challange.
03-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another great challenge and a worthy winner in Aaacb's dramatic image. Definitely the one to beat. Thanks to jacamar for hosting and judging and thank you for the special commendation.

Looking forward to the next one.
03-07-2018, 07:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congratulations Aaacb on the win. Well done Rob, Bruce and all participants.

03-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to winners Aaacb ,Robjmitchell, Bruce Clark and Djb47.Great entries everyone.
03-08-2018, 01:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stunning winning entry, congrats Aaacb, and extended to Robjmitchell, Bruce Clark and Djb47. Thanks Jacamar, for the challenge and the competent judging exercise.
03-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks all, great pictures! I'll start the new thread today or tomorrow.
03-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Aaacb, wonderful image! Excellent challenge jacamar, I cannot remember every having that theme before.

• Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
challenge, eye, foreground, frame, light, shot, theme, trees, view