Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

POTW #26 From Aug 31st to Sept 14th
Posted By: Peter Zack, 09-08-2008, 05:29 AM

Welcome to POTW # 26

This week's photos will cover these dates: Sunday August 31st till September 14th. It's about time I hosted one since I haven't since the first ones.

Let's keep up the high standard of shots we have seen over the past weeks.

Rules as before:

1) No theme just your favorite stuff.
2) Let's keep it to about 4-6 images per post just so the thread doesn't get too big each week .
3) Any Pentax camera is fine, film, P&S, DSLR (or Samsung DSLR)
4) Runs for 7 days. Sunday September 7st to September 14th.
5) Enter anything you shot last week or this current week until the thread closes.

Previous hosts: 1 Peter Zack, 2 Eaglerapids, 3 rmtagg, 4 Peter Zack, 5 daacon, 6 Bramela, 7 mtnbearhug, 8 dantuyhoa, 9 gawan, 10 roentarre, 11 daacon, 12 Kris, 13 mtnbearhug, 14 SCGushue, 15 daacon, 16 maxwell1295, 17 dantuyhoa, 18 daacon, 19 maxwell1295, 20 Bamela, 21 Syb, 22 & 23 maxwell1295, 24 dantuyhoa 25. Gawan

So to get things kicked off.
Here's a GBH taken on Saturday with the 1000mm Meade.
Name:  IMGP6562 border.jpg small.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  55.1 KB

Last edited by Peter Zack; 09-08-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Views: 14,751
09-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Some great stuff already everyone.

gawan, very cool and a colourful scene. Theres no shortage of blonde hair in your area!

Tran, as always an excellent shot and the model is beautiful as always

roentarre, Ah spring will bring some more of your great VL125 shots. Live the first waterfall and the rich colours.

Bfeilding. Are these in the wild or enclosures? Wonderful captures even though the bokeh is a little rough but that really doesn't take anything from the images. Btw my wife really enjoyed them as well.

I like the riverboat scene dave and the reflection is cool.

Duh_Vinci, That is a good series. The lens seems to really soft focus and it gives the images a dream like quality. Nice stuff.

09-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #17
Bud
Veteran Member

I took a little break from the internet, but it's great to see so many wonderful images here this week!
Peter - nice heron shot with the Meade!
Daacon - cool series! I really like #3
Georg - nice capture and great colors!
Tran - another very nice model shoot. Is this the field where you grow all of these beauties?
BFielding - nice images of the fawn
James - great shots of the moving water / falls... very serene
borno - excellent series and the silhouette is outstanding! I agree with Peter... get rid of the blur leaving just the silhouette against the sun and it's perfect.
Duh Vinci - love the two skipper butterfly shots!

Here's a few of mine from the past 3 weeks

Monarch butterflies with DA*300

Cloudless Sulphur with DA*300

Carolina Chickadee

Immature male Ruby-Throated Hummingbird

Adult female Ruby-Throated Hummingbird

A mating pair of Chinese Praying Mantids. I watched them for over 20 minutes. The female, on the left, has a bumblee that she's snacking on.... the male seemed to be waiting until she was finished... how courteous.... Seconds after I gave up capturing "the act", he pounced on her, they tumbled to the ground and she scurried away... and the fun was over. Probably a good thing for the male. The female often eats the male for dinner after mating

Last edited by Bud; 09-08-2008 at 08:00 PM.
09-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

A shot of a "REAL AUSSIE"

Caught this shot of a "Real Aussie". Came in from the bush to feed on the lawn grass . Yes, it is a totally wild wallaby, with young in pouch (wouldn't show itself).

And a shot of an opening Protea Flower.

09-09-2008, 02:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
B.F. Nice bambies, so peaceful, even against the somewhat busy background

James I love the first image especially!

borno, that eagle pictures (with claws) is stunning, the dawn is beautiful!!

Dave, nice series, at first glance I though that was an aerial picture with a catamaran sailing down below

Duh_Vinci, I love the glow in your macros!

Bud, I love th butterfly pics!

Bruce, I'd love to see more of "Real Aussies"!

Last edited by gawan; 09-09-2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: typo
09-09-2008, 03:17 AM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Well Bud it was worth the wait for your return. This is an incredble series of shots. What more could I say? Excellent stuff and you are really showing off how great that lens is.

Good catch Bruce. I dno't know why a Wallaby is different than a Kangaroo. Is it size? Nice capture, I hear they are very fast and can be quite dangerous.
09-09-2008, 05:35 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Peter / Georg thanks for the comments.

Duh_Vinci - stunning colors in those shots - I really like the glow effect. It' almost as if Austin Power's nemisis Goldmember touched them

Bud - thanks for the comments glad to see you back, I missed coveting that DA* 300M thanks (I think?). Great shots all. I particularlry like the second butterfly shot. Nice story on the mantis - a bee that must have been a battle.

Bruce - nice capture on the Wallaby and flower. I am like Peter - other than size (I assume) not sure I could tell the difference between a young Kangaroo and a Wallaby.
09-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Here was the one from my recent trip to Marrysville with Voe.
I have to refresh my browser more often, I missed your rapid/waterfall images earlier.. I relly like the first one for its tone at the running water!

09-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Actually, a wallaby is different mainly in size, being much smaller. There are quite a number of different species of wallaby. They are quite harmless really but quite timid in the wild.
Kangaroos are much larger. Red kangaroos can stand up to 6 feet tall. They can be the dangerous ones, particularly males. Overall not too much to worry about, will flee mostly before they will stand their ground.
Gawan : will keep an eye out for more shots if possible.
09-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
BFielding - thanks for the comments ,great shots of the fawn wow - was that with the DA 55-300 ? Nice shots indeed ...
These were taken with the DA 55-300. And as you can see, I need to learn to crop my photos in PP. It would have been nice to have some feet.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Bfeilding. Are these in the wild or enclosures? Wonderful captures even though the bokeh is a little rough but that really doesn't take anything from the images. Btw my wife really enjoyed them as well.
I took these shots in the wild. Joe Wheeler State Park in Alabama to be exact. I noticed the "rough" bokeh, but haven't had enough experience with PP to do anything about it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bud Quote
BFielding - nice images of the fawn
Thanks. You have some nice shots yourself. I especially like the Chickadee, and Adult female Ruby-Throated Hummingbird.

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
B.F. Nice bambies, so peaceful, even against the somewhat busy background
Thanks, I'll definitely have to work on smoothing out the bokeh.

Last edited by BFielding; 09-09-2008 at 02:17 PM.
09-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I've been following POTW for a few weeks, thought I would jump in.

like every week, there are lots of great images!

Peter (& Borno) - I love the birds, wish I could get bird shots that good.

Dave - I like the lamp shots, especially 1 & 3

Georg - interesting shot of the market, my grandmother was Finnish so I suppose that's part of my heritage, too

Tran - very lovely shot

Bfielding and roentarre - seeing Bfielding's deer and roentarre's waterfalls together gives me a nice relaxing outdoor feeling

Borno (Tom) the dawn shot really caught my eye!

Dave - yes, I can see the jet

Duh_Vinci - nice series, I really like these

Bud, your butterflies in particular are stunning

Bruce, I always enjoy seeing your flowers because they are so different from what I see around here

here is my humble contribution - I took these with my F35-80 mounted on
my new macro bellows - I'm have a lot of fun learning to shoot macros

rose leaf:

drop of water hiding away:

a few leaves are starting to turn colors around here:

thanks for looking!
09-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timbo13 Quote
I've been following POTW for a few weeks, thought I would jump in.

Georg - interesting shot of the market, my grandmother was Finnish so I suppose that's part of my heritage, too
Welcome to POTW, Tim! You have a bunch really nice macros there! I love the round water droplet!

Interesting to hear you have Finnish ancestors! I have a whole line of family living in Minnesota (starting from my grand fathers uncle). Have to visit there some time!
09-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Great macro shots Timbo13...I really like the colors and the crispness. I particularly like the rose leaf!

Steve
09-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Tim - thanks for the comments - nice series I really like the leaf and the water drop.

A few more

Click on image for larger view

Downtown Edmonton

Our dog comes home after a walk to meet our daughter (on the phone what a surprise !)

A path

A couple ducks

09-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Wow! Some incredible shots this week. This is a good week to not post any butterfly, flower, or bird shots....that's for sure!

I call this one "Wrong Side of the Scoreboard"

09-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks for your comments Timbo, much appreciated. Rather like your shots as well, particularly the one with the single raindrop.
Some great shots all round this week, the standard is great, we all improving, I reckon (learning from each other perhaps??)