Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Winners - Weekly Challenge #421 Coast.
Posted By: Bruce Clark, 05-10-2018, 08:53 PM

Thanks to all for participating. So many wonderful entries with so many differing interpretations on the theme. Sometimes I feel the challenge in these weekly challenges in not so much in the participation but in the judging. However such is burden of participation. Some brief comments on each entry

aaacb One of my favourite pastimes at the beach. A well composed and executed shot and the b/w treatment works well on the rocks.

sealonsf A great splash of colour from the vegetation offset by the grey ocean and clouds.

RGlasel Another aspect of coastal life, the fishing boat up on the beach. Well framed and executed and the sea mist adds depth.

SpecialK Yet another interpretation, this time illustrating the danger of coastal rocks. Obviously shot from high in a lighthouse, the cottage adds a contrast in colour, shape and purpose. The fisheye perspective adds drama to the scene.

Vaskebjorn Nicely composed scene with graduated colour from the sunrise or sunset.

Lumpy79 Who hasn’t spent hours just watching the wave crash into the shore? Spray from the sea fades the scene into the distance adding effect of depth. Scale is provided by the person watching. Shapes and textures add drama where the light is not so great.

charliezap Coastal action at its best. Drama and a demonstration of the power of the sea against human defenses. The sea will win in the end.

atupdate Very serene. Lots of sky reflection from the wet sand exposed at low tide.

Jchorst The sea is placid here but we can see the result of years of action against the rocks. A scattering of people on the cliff top emphasises the height of the cliff. Well composed.

rod_grant A classic Aussie golden beach scene that had me scrambling through my collection but I could not identify the location. Plenty of interest from the foreground people to those further down on the sand. A sweeping golden curve fading to infinite distance.

dlneubec Shell collecting is one more popular activity at the beach. Well composed with receding triangular lines and curves. A dramatic sky adds to this scene.

Noelcmn This scene contains rocks and sea and sky this time with no human element. Well composed with good clouds, reflections and shapes and texture galore. Still water and rough water beyond.

Arjay Bee We are right on the beach now People, shapes and colours everywhere.

Hatiffnat High cliffs, caves, pinnacles, people and building in the distance. Great detail in the foreground which fades in the distance. Lots a detail in the sea as well as the sky.

ramseybuckeye Well captured foreground detail. The red cart heading out of scene adds a lot to what otherwise might have just a another stony beach. Great timing.

Sqideyes That red sun from the smoke is really something to behold. The eerie colour of the smoke add a sense of the sinister to what should be a peaceful landscape.

StephenHampshire Beautifly composed with loads and loads of openness and space. There are loads “negative” spaces in sea and land which are nevertheless full of detail. It looks cold but the kids never seem to mind the cold as long as they can splash around in the shallows.

Now the hard part! There are so many great photos in this collection. Most of them appear technically correct and artistically very good. There may be a few technical flaws here and there but I will not dwell on those. I really like all of these photos illustrating so many variations on the theme. In the end I have to go on gut feeling and so for the purposes of this challenge, I give the award to Hattifnat for this wonderful illustration of the division between sea and land. Special Mentions to charliezap for drama and StephenHampshire for composition.

So I pass the baton onto Hattifnatt to run the next challenge. Thanks to everyone for participating.

Good luck.

Sample rules below

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax/Ricoh (DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge

Last edited by Bruce Clark; 06-11-2018 at 02:34 AM.
Views: 1,362
05-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to Hattifnatt and also to Charlie & Stephen.
Thanks to Bruce for a really good challenge.

(Bruce, the beach was the south beach at Broulee NSW, taken from the headland).
05-11-2018, 05:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Well done Bruce , good job.
05-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No squabbles about that winning image, its simply wonderful, dramatic and engaging. Would love to be there! Congratulations Hattifnatt, worthy winner, in a tough challenge. And extended to CharlieZap and StephenHampshire. Wonderful challenge, a boon to the eyes and the soul. Thanks to Bruce for that, and the judging exercise. Great stuff everyone!

05-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks for taking the time to comment on all the entries.
05-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I give the award to Hattifnat for this wonderful illustration of the division between sea and land. Special Mentions to charliezap for drama and StephenHampshire for composition.
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Congrats to Hattifnatt and also to Charlie & Stephen.
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
No squabbles about that winning image, its simply wonderful, dramatic and engaging. Would love to be there!
Thank you for the win and commenting and congratulations everybody, it was nice challenge. As for my picture, there is not so much to say, Cliffs of Moher are spectacular, I was just passing by with some friends, couldn't stay too long and we had bad weather so I just snapped some pics. Colors didn't tell that much so I went for B&W processing. I would like to visit the cliffs again, wondering how they look at sunset or sunrise.

I'll post the new challenge tomorrow.
05-12-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Hattifnatt, and kudos to Charlie & Stephen too.

Excellent challenge Bruce!

05-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Congratulations Hattifnatt
Thanks Tom!

New challenge is HERE.
06-11-2018, 02:38 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter