Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread

Weekly Challenge #423 - Too close for comfort
Posted By: Quartermaster James, 05-28-2018, 05:23 PM

Thank you Hattifnatt for last week's challenge, and thanks too to all the participants.

In selecting a theme for this week's challenge, I decided upon "Too close for comfort" as a theme that is open to myriad interpretations. In addition to the usual photographic elements of light, composition, color, etc., I will also consider the narrative and emotional elements of the submissions, as well as novelty of interpretation. My hope is that the consideration of these elements prove inspirational to this week's participants. I am not seeding this challenge with any work of my own, as I do not want to influence the tenor and tone of the submissions.

The fine print:
Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

The Challenge will run until midnight next Tuesday, June 5, 2018, whichever time zone you are in.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Read more at: Weekly Challenge #422 - Rural Landscape - PentaxForums.com
Views: 2,578
06-01-2018, 01:02 PM - 4 Likes   #16

Photos: Albums
This is as close as I can get to fitting this theme. Here is a shot of my granddaughter, back when she was shy with men and was hiding behind her mama's leg. Obviously there was a lot of post processing on this one.

Attached Images

Last edited by dlneubec; 06-03-2018 at 05:49 AM.
06-01-2018, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Huntsman in the bathroom.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-04-2018, 05:02 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shall never forget this lioness, that charged me and I got the fright of my life, but had the presence of mind to grab a quick shot as she still glared at me from behind the bars, and for which I was very grateful. I said to another person there, "I'm pretty sure it was my Pentax that rankled her"!
06-08-2018, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Apologies to all. I was overly occupied with a work project and entirely forgot to follow up with my duty here. I will get this closed this evening.

06-09-2018, 03:00 AM - 2 Likes   #20

Upclose and personal! This ostrich kept trying to peck my lens and I had to duck out of the way faster than it could strike. A few images later (and an intact lens) I think that this was the best.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S5600  Photo 
06-09-2018, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #21

flying rat...

06-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Winners posted. Apologies for the delay.
Weekly Challenge #423 - WINNERS - Too close for comfort - PentaxForums.com

06-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Oh dear, Tim, all the best in achieving a full recovery. Too close for comfort, indeed.

---------- Post added 05-29-18 at 01:47 PM ----------

This huge snapper -- about 16 inches wide -- was crossing a road when I happened by. To save her from being crushed, I carried her to the verge. (Here's how to safely lift turtles off the road.) I then got down on my belly and slithered as close as I dared (they have very long necks) with my DA 50-200mm (at 135mm) to snap her portrait. I fancy she's smiling. And as I took her picture, I could only think of her paraphrasing from the movie Pulp Fiction:

Any Closer and I'm Gonna Get Jurassic on Your A**
Great image and good link for turtle assistance.