Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge #423 - Too close for comfort
Posted By: Quartermaster James, 05-28-2018, 05:23 PM

Thank you Hattifnatt for last week's challenge, and thanks too to all the participants.

In selecting a theme for this week's challenge, I decided upon "Too close for comfort" as a theme that is open to myriad interpretations. In addition to the usual photographic elements of light, composition, color, etc., I will also consider the narrative and emotional elements of the submissions, as well as novelty of interpretation. My hope is that the consideration of these elements prove inspirational to this week's participants. I am not seeding this challenge with any work of my own, as I do not want to influence the tenor and tone of the submissions.

The fine print:
Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

The Challenge will run until midnight next Tuesday, June 5, 2018, whichever time zone you are in.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Read more at: Weekly Challenge #422 - Rural Landscape - PentaxForums.com
Views: 2,568
05-28-2018, 05:48 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Well, this is my rather literal interpretation of the theme... Players fighting, police in the background

Last edited by aaacb; 05-28-2018 at 05:55 PM.
05-28-2018, 07:06 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't take this picture, but it was my camera. I wasn't as disturbed by the friendly python as the person taking the picture, but when I have ended up in truly dangerous circumstances, recording the memory on film or a hard drive was the last thing on my mind, so this will have to do.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
05-29-2018, 12:39 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is tough challenge. I had to go back a long time in my photo archive to find a photo that fits the challenge, so i hope it qualifies.
This is a kitten taking a peek over the edge of a high wall. It is not something i would do comfortably .

Attached Images

05-29-2018, 01:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I didn't take this picture, but it was my camera. I wasn't as disturbed by the friendly python as the person taking the picture, but when I have ended up in truly dangerous circumstances, recording the memory on film or a hard drive was the last thing on my mind, so this will have to do.
That is a Boa Constrictor and not a Python. The major difference being the former give birth to live young, the latter lays eggs. Try this sometime- My son with his pet Boa

Ps, not my entry for this challenge
05-29-2018, 07:02 AM - 7 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Predator on the prowl
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
05-29-2018, 07:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
That is a Boa Constrictor and not a Python.
I'm neither an ophiologist or a herpetologist so I have no doubt you are right.

05-29-2018, 08:21 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I never thought I would be using this image in a challenge. This is the view from my hospital bed on January 30th of this year. I was diagnosed with colon cancer Sept. 2016. Luckily they caught it at Stage 2 and were able to remove all of it in surgery.

You may be wondering why I'm posting a photo from 2018 if the surgery was in 2016? The treatment for the cancer went according to plan but the road to getting my intestines re-hooked up had many detours.

This image is the 9th hospital room I have had the pleasure of staying in since 2016. It had the best view by far.

The first image is my challenge entry. Here I am shortly before being discharged.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 05-29-2018 at 10:55 AM.
05-29-2018, 09:21 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
the 9th hospital room I have had the pleasure of staying in since 2016
Doesn't really fit my definition of pleasure, but I suppose that as long as they aren't your final resting place, it is tolerable. May your travels on the road to recovery be finished for good!
05-29-2018, 10:36 AM - 8 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I never thought I would be using this image in a challenge. This is the view from my hospital bed on January 30th of this year. I was diagnosed with colon cancer Sept. 2016. Luckily they caught it at Stage 2 and were able to remove all of it in surgery.

You may be wondering why I'm posting a photo from 2018 if the surgery was in 2016? The treatment for the cancer went according to plan but the road to getting my intestines re-hooked up had many detours...
Oh dear, Tim, all the best in achieving a full recovery. Too close for comfort, indeed.

---------- Post added 05-29-18 at 01:47 PM ----------

This huge snapper -- about 16 inches wide -- was crossing a road when I happened by. To save her from being crushed, I carried her to the verge. (Here's how to safely lift turtles off the road.) I then got down on my belly and slithered as close as I dared (they have very long necks) with my DA 50-200mm (at 135mm) to snap her portrait. I fancy she's smiling. And as I took her picture, I could only think of her paraphrasing from the movie Pulp Fiction:

Any Closer and I'm Gonna Get Jurassic on Your A**

Last edited by Tamia; 05-29-2018 at 10:52 AM.
05-29-2018, 10:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Oh dear, Tim, all the best in achieving a full recovery.
Thanks Tamia. Doing really well now.

Tim
05-29-2018, 12:32 PM - 5 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the edge of Preikestolen. If you look closely you can spot the remote in my hand... I was a little bit worried though, jumping so close to the edge. The guy to the left had no problem... I could barely resist photoshopping him a bit more to the left.

05-29-2018, 01:47 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To be honest this Coyote was much more interested in pouncing on voles in the snow than in taking me on, but there is a bit of weirdness to its right eye...

05-29-2018, 05:30 PM - 5 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Long Way Down

05-29-2018, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I thought there were going to be about eight of us...