Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Winners - Weekly Challenge #424: Inside A Building
Posted By: atupdate, 06-18-2018, 11:39 AM

Time to announce the winners for Weekly Challenge #424: Inside A Building. But first a few comments.

Bruce Clark: The ceiling is very impressive and the colors are vibrant. However, the image feels off-balance to me and I think that is related to the crop not being centered.

RGlasel: Love the mood from the natural light on the blue walls in this image. The posters on the walls and the unmade bed says teenager to me.

sealonsf: This image made me feel like I was playing Where’s Waldo. Because of the topic I chose, my eyes first went to the building and followed the pillars up to the glass ceiling. And then I thought “Oh, a very nice high key image”. It wasn’t until my eyes took a virtual step back that I noticed the real gem contained in the image, the people in the window.

SpecialK: I wondered how long it would take for a ultra-wide angle would be posted. I love the distortion and the processing is almost perfect. The image feels off-balanced to me due to the crop not being centered.

rod grant: I love the b&w conversion. The ladder provides the perspective of height that the horizontal framing takes away.

Vaskebjorn: There is a lot going in this image and it takes a couple of seconds to realize that the white object in the center is a person. I think this is related to the light colored walkway hiding part of the lady.

Tamia: This image almost has a monotone feel to it. The processing is perfect and the “Room Beyond” has just enough detail to provide a focal point to the image.

racingsnake This looks like a HDR image to me , although there are other processing tricks to prevent blowing out the bright, sunny, outdoor background. The means does not really matter, as the image is wonderful. The weathered paint, gaps in the wallboards, long shadows each provide a visual texture.

pakinjapan: A very beautiful building that is nicely captured. My personal preference would be to boost the saturation or contrast to bring out more of the very ornate detail.

aaacb: A wonderful image that tells a story. However, the challenge was to shoot from inside the building while also showing part of the building.

noelcmn: A great subject for a wide angle shot. There is a slight rotation to this image that makes it a little disorientating. The rest of the post processing is pretty spot on.

Hattifnatt: This image is nothing but fun. First the stripes on the shirt and the tilt of his head lead my eyes upwards but there was nothing to see at the top of the image. Thus, more investigation into the image was required. The number of people in the background and the type of architecture shouts museum and the dinosaur bones on the left explains why the person is looking up. Having just the main subject sharply in focus brought much needed separation of the main subject. Well done.

djb47: I love Chihuly glass. The most amazing sculpture I’ve seen was a 4 story tower at the Indianapolis Childrens Museum. This exhibit looks a lot more quiet than I one in Indianapolis. The lighting conditions look a little difficult but you handled it very well.

Now for the winners:

1st Place: Hattifnatt: A strong story and perfect photographic execution.

2nd Place: racingsnake - exceptional detail without looking over processed.

3rd Place: Tamia - I truely do wonder "What's In the Room Beyond".

Hattiffnatt is up for hosting the next challenge. Thanks everyone for your entries.

Tim
Views: 1,239
06-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Hattifnatt, excellent shot. And extended to Racingsake and Tamia (back with aplomb hey!). I particularly thought these three winning images each had a wonderful storyline to them. Thanks to Atupdate for a wonderful challenge, comments and critiques-always appreciated.
06-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Wow! First time I needed to bump a winners thread.

Tim
06-19-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for a great challenge and for the constructive criticism. I have noticed lately that I am not getting things quite level, close but 1 or 2 degrees off. I even have been unable to get things right in post, trusting my eyes rather than the software. Something to work on.

Congratulations to the winners and all other entrants, some great photos there.

06-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey thanks for the podium spot, Tim, and to you as well, Noel, for your kind words! Congratulations to Hattifnatt for top spot and Racingsnake for second place -- well done. As always I learned something from entering and looking at each of the other pieces, but also for our judge's comments -- thanks for that, Tim. This was a fun challenge, with beautiful entries. Looking forward to the next challenge.
06-20-2018, 01:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, that was unexpected! I don't shoot so much indoors so I didn't think I had a chance. I remember when taking this picture I didn't have any zooms and I thought I would like to switch the FA 43 with the DA 15 so I capture more of the dinosaur skeleton, but I didn't have time to do it, the subject maintained this posture for just a few seconds. Later I thought maybe it was all for the better, the size of the things he's gazing at left at the viewer's imagination.

Thank you Tim for the win and congratulations to all the participants. It was quite a challenging theme.

I will try to come up with a new one later today.
06-20-2018, 06:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you telling us that is a Guy? Or just a unthought of comment. Looks like a lady to me!

06-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Are you telling us that is a Guy? Or just a unthought of comment. Looks like a lady to me!
Honestly I'm not completely sure I don't remember when I took the picture and just looking at it to me it's hard to say Some facial features makes me think of a man, but everything else point towards a lady.
06-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A moustache would settle it