Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Winners: Weekly Challenge #427 - Geometric Shapes
Posted By: atupdate, 07-27-2018, 10:48 AM

What a wonderful variety of pictures. I have had the privilege of hosting several Weekly Challenges in the past and this is one where most of the entries are better than my examples. I thought I would comment on what my eyes saw and not so much the technical aspects of the image.

SpecialK: The first thing that caught my eye was the color and size contrasts between the rectangles. Then comes the wonderful surprise if a triangular shaped shadow. Then another surprise of the bicycles inside the triangle adding a small splash of color and a resting place for the eyes. I would hang this on my wall if it was mine.

Sapper: An abstract in its truest form. There is nothing in this image I would change. The B&W conversion is excellent. Well spotted and a keeper in my opinion.

dicki: At first glance this image seem unbalanced. The large round shape on the right and the smaller rectangles on the left. I did a right click on your image to open it as a new tab. The black background surrounding the image from the new tab helped bring the image into balance. The sky becomes less dominate in the image when the image is surrounded by a black background. Nicely done.

Tamia: At first this image looks very busy. My eyes enjoying the variety of shapes on the right side of the image. Then my eye was captured by the wonderful curve of the railing and ceiling and the vanishing point they provide. The people located at the end of the vanishing point completes my visual voyage by providing an interesting focal point.

Vaskebjorn: What is not to love about Mother Nature’s geometrical shapes? I love the contrast between the water and the white flower pedals. Then the intricate detail in the center of the flower and the yellow color. Leaving some negative space on the left was brilliant. It makes the viewers wonder why this flower isn’t centered and forces exploration of the flower itself.

nobody: This picture looks like an optical illusion. At first I wondered why you put eggs on the ground in front of some buildings. Then the lamppost brought my eyes back to reality and understanding that these were not eggs. The B&W conversion allowed me to enjoy the contrast in shapes between the “eggs” and the rectangles found on the building. This would be a fun image to play with to see how abstract it can look by changing the crop.

Ballew: Wow! It has a complicated geometric shape contrasting with the simple shaped formed by the complicated geometric shape. Adding to the image is another building peeking through the roof at the very bottom. This made my eyes jump back and forth between the circle and the building. Very nice.

aaacb: I found it interesting that your image followed Ballew’s image. His abstract is complicated and noisy in a way. You image is simple and relaxing. I love the subtle color of the wheel. The small scratches appearing like sparks coming off a grinding stone.

othar: What a wonderful contrast to the typical winding stairs I posted as an example. The windows on the second layer provide depth to the image and the elements of the stairway provide a sense of movement. The colors give a relaxing feeling in what is a very busy environment.

RGlasel: Jenga anyone? An interesting juxtaposition between building styles and between the space around the featured building and the crowded typical buildings.

Lab: I love the contrast in shapes in your image, the round waterdrops, the complicated shape of the leaf, and the structured texture to the boards. An interesting take on the waterdrop theme.

djb47: First of all, what is this? I love the blue background providing just enough contrast to the black swirls. Then you look at the star and see a multitude of layers and details.

sealonsf: I’ve always wanted to take a picture like this. I’m glad you didn’t convert this to B&W, as the pinkish wall is a nice contrast to the bare cold pillars. The framed picture at the end provides a interesting resting place for my eyes.

Hattifnatt: I am so fascinated by the geometric shapes in the water. These could make for several interesting shots on their own. I could see 2 or 3 pictures hanging on a wall from the pond shapes.

arnold: An interesting shape to the window panes. And the patterns in the reflections take it to another level. It would be interesting to see this at night with the people in the background showing through.

noelcmn: I am accepting your late entry but there will be a one point late entry deduction. The blue of the sky is a very complimentary color to the yellow structure. The reflection is what gives this image interest. It provides extra shapes and depth to the image. I like this image a lot.

Now the hard part, picking a winner. There are at least 6 images that speak to me and are worthy of being chosen as the winner. However, there one that speaks the loudest.

1st Place: aaacb – I love the brassy golden undertones of the image in support of the geometric shape. Very nice indeed.

2nd Place: Sapper - I could envision this hanging in an art gallery if it had been a painting by a world famous painter.

3rd Place: djb47 - What is this?

That means that the host of Weekly Challenge #428 is aaacb

Thank you all for great entries and hope to see your pics in the next challenge.

Tim
Views: 861
07-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for choosing my photo! The subject is an espresso holder partway through cleaning, after I had removed the insert where the ground coffee goes. So it's a fairly close macro, about 1:2. I'll get the new thread up soon.
07-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
Lab

Nice pictures all around...and thanks for the comments.
07-27-2018, 09:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Congratulations to the top three, and thanks for commenting on all the entries.

07-28-2018, 05:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
djb47: First of all, what is this? I love the blue background providing just enough contrast to the black swirls. Then you look at the star and see a multitude of layers and details.
Tim -- This image started out as three, more or less, newspaper cubes back lit. I then used a kalidescope and swirl filter to get the final image. Thanks for the comments.

Congratulations to aaacb and Sapper, great images.