Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
WINNERS - Challenge #435 0 Eye spy...Something beginning with B.
Posted By: noelcmn, 10-15-2018, 04:50 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thank you to all that entered this weekly Challenge #435, Eye Spy ….something beginning with B, and it is my pleasure to review and judge all the wonderful entries in this challenge. No easy task I may add. As usual, I employ two basic criteria – How does the photo impact me, and what does it tell me about the Photographer.

Bruce Clark - B is for Bird from Mt Pilatus-Switzerland – Setting the bar high with this opening shot, an almost selective color image, with the yellow beak and orange feet the only bit of color. Beautifully composed, sharp as a tack and an appreciable context all blend to make a wonderful image. Being a bird lover, it immediately connects.

Rod _Grant – Balloon – Should I mention the envy that emanates from me? I have yet to get a air balloon in my collection and to do that I have to travel far! Excellent image, so many wonderful aspects to appreciate here from the silhouettes, shadows, the colors and light rays and composition. The harsh white has been handled very well, and the timing perfect, getting the balloon just as it’s lifting off. I have little doubt that being an early morning shot, this will tug at many a viewer. I’m somewhat uncertain if you should have removed the other balloon, but it would be worth a attempt.

Vaskebjorn – Black Ibis- Wonderful bird portrait, such lovely appreciable details and a load of wonderful bokeh to boot! No issues with the focus, composition and colors. All the elements of good bird photography are there, including the bit of reflection in the eye. I would certainly like to see one for myself. I would have removed that bit of green grass on the lower left part of the birds neck!

SpecialK – Boobs, black T shirt, Blackletter font, badge – or whatever. A lovely fun shot, and social commentary on a relevant topic in our social construct. Strong composition, and I like that hand coming from behind hinting at not only approval but encouragement to stand for an issue that more often than not, enjoys more cynicism than approval. And someone, no doubt edging in for a closer look! Colors, focus, and super textures too!

Aslyfox- Blue eye and Black Shadow- great timing on this one. Unfortunately, the focus is not as good as it should be, and the camera, (an issue we all struggle with) has focused on the wood and shadows instead. That is not surprising given the narrow space between the wood on which to focus. A manual focus would have done the trick. Composition is good, wonderful textures I like the play between light and shadows on this. Makes for a very nice abstract too!

Atupdate – Barn – A familiar image that I have seen before, and one that grows on you. Inescapable sense of scale and given impact by the sheer wonder in the girl. She is awestruck. Beautifully composed shot, excellent details, easily identifiable scene for many with its colors. Lovely light here too and along with textures and patterns, easily brings it into contention.

Charliezap - Big Bad Bird- Another wonderful bird image, tis one full frame as it were. Kudos for getting such an excellent image through the window, that is more often than not detrimental to a shot! Never mind the background, its wonderful, and has given a stunning textured background that suits the image very well. Colors, composition, focus and details are spot on, Lucky you!

RGlaseal – Bottle – Now, don’t go and be hard on yourself. I’m pretty sure those bridges, begonias, berries and bicycling would do just fine. Another familiar subject, beautifully captured, getting us all thirsty ��. I’m not a great lover of beer, but would not mind trying this out, there seems to be so much history to the stuff and that is just what this image has achieved. Contextual composition, colors, and details all spot on, and like that there is minimal reflections in the bottle-that can easily distract the focal point.

Pelto – Boulders – Welcome to PF, and the weekly challenges in particular, and what a wonderful entry to the forum. An excellent b/w image, full of energy and action. I doubt if the color version would be as impactful as this, so kudos for going with t b/w version. Super textures and details on the boulders coupled with top notch composition makes this a strong contender. And of course the timing, getting those splashing wave is superb!

Smf- Bench – Well yes, besides envy, I’ll also not hold it against you for this snow pic, loaded all the right stuff, photographically speaking. Textures, contrast, composition, patterns, shadows, details and focus are all there. Well I’d guess for those familiar with such snowy scenes, this might be pretty normal, but not for me, (having seen snow only once of twice, end even then in small quantities), this is very appealing and a desire to add something like this to the bucket list. And it sure spells brrrrrrrr…

Kayakpeter - Bear - Welcome to PF, and the weekly challenges in particular. Lucky you. Lucky you! Here I am confined to specimens in the zoo! How cool is that, and you made the most of the opportunity, with a fine capture that oozes the animals power, even aggression. Compositionally spot on, as is the focus. I am tempted to ask- did he/she pose for you? Otherwise it’s also great timing for freezing a bit of the action. Colors too are spot on. On the bucket list too!

Jays0n Break – Ah! An action shot, that got me all curious- Did she break it or not? And what form of martial arts is this, I am more familiar with breaking blocks of wood! Excellent timing, and equally well composed shot. Seems you were pretty low on this one, and I like all the contextual elements you have included in this shot- including the mat in the foreground and spectators in the background. But the expression on her face is what makes this so nice, full of energy, determination and focus.

Jacamar- A Barn – Really ��? I am tempted to believe you visited South Africa, this is so familiar, except for the Barn. The other parts are called Shanty’s around here, and are in abundance, and certainly not isolated such as this. An excellent documentary travel shot, story line that surely will attract some inquiry. As with others in this challenge, all the photographic requirements are there- Composition, colors, focus, details, patterns, textures, colors and details. And leading lines taking you just where you should be-at the derelict old residence and barn. Definitely want to explore the place. Beautiful shot!

Djb47 – Bug on a Bloom – I had wondered if we would get a few bugs, and here we are! Wonderful image, such appealing colors to this, almost two toned complimentary colors. Wonderful composition, and focus spot on. Super Macro shot! And you’ve achieved something that is ever so difficult in macro photography- DOF.

Ramseybuckeye - Boch Hollow, cut from Blackhand Sandstone, Robinson Falls in the Hocking Hills – There are a lot of images of this place on the web (which I googled) and this one is right up there will all of them. Lovely shot, perfect settings on this, 2 sec exposure to give the blurred waterfall. Lots of details and wonderful DOF, especially when viewed enlarged. Wonderful contours providing some excellent patterns and lines. That pop of white is just superb and brings into sharp relief the focal point of the image!

Dmoran Two “B’s – And here we go with another bug shot, and a favourite with many a photographer, and what sets this apart is the rare occasion of getting two species on the same flower. I say rare, partly because I have so few, and have seen only a few on the various forums I belong. So kudos for your timing- an opportunity well used. There is some evidence of harsh light here, which has been well handled, though I would suggest a bit of darkening would do it more justice. The focus is spot on, as are the colors, and no issues with the composition.

Aaacb- Boulders on the beach- As with the other B/W image, this is an image with huge impact, an almost abstract image, with super tones. Lovely use of negative space, with an added bonus of some reflections. Very well composed, and though not as detailed as others, I suspect this is intentional to create the dreamy softer effect. There is a spot -probably another boulder, to the middle right, that should be removed. And that horizon is just wonderful, filling the whole from left to right, and for those who are concerned about PC- from right to left��.

Mingdie- Black and White Beautiful – And so it is- what a beautiful dog, in a beautiful composition for a beautiful portrait. Excellent focus, especially on the eye. And wow, you got some excellent details in this shot. One for the wall!

Photolady95- Bombed by birds-Make sure you are not at the landing spot ��. The nicest of sunset shots, for me at any rate, birds, trees and clouds! For a 85mm focal length, this has s pretty good details on some of the birds, though most are silhouettes. No issues with composition and colors. Are those dust spots or clouds! Upper center and going upwards?

Bigoak- As I cannot see this image, no comments can be made, though I did send a PM to notify that the image is not showing.

Nobidy- Buildings-A really interesting image, a color X-ray, and lovely colors it is too. And very nice reflections, quite a busy shot, but certainly piques the interest. And though I do not know what or where this is, I certainly like the angle and composition on this. I’d guess that one cannot expect reflections to be sharp, there are too many variables with light and distortions. A tighter crop perhaps.

And onto the placings:

1st Place to Rod _Grant- Wonderful colors, terrific atmosphere, with a lot of photographic elements to appreciate.
2nd spot, and only just pipped by Rod_Grant, goes to Pelto, wonderful impact shot!
3rd Spot to Ramseybuckeye-a postcard promotional brochure image creating some wanderlust!

HM’s to Atupdate, Jacamar, and smf. Thank you all, and it’s over to you Rod, to set a new challenge.
Views: 1,112
10-15-2018, 05:35 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the comments on my photo, but the birds aren't in silhouette. If you go to flickr, click to enlarge it, you can see their color is white with black tips on their wings. And yes, there are dust spots I didn't remove before upload. This was a used K-5 I bought about a month ago, but have now taken care of that dust.

Oh and congrats to the winners!

Last edited by photolady95; 10-15-2018 at 07:38 AM.
10-15-2018, 06:49 AM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

Thank you to all that entered this weekly Challenge #435, Eye Spy ….something beginning with B, and it is my pleasure to review and judge all the wonderful entries in this challenge. No easy task I may add. As usual, I employ two basic criteria – How does the photo impact me, and what does it tell me about the Photographer.

Bruce Clark - B is for Bird from Mt Pilatus-Switzerland – Setting the bar high with this opening shot, an almost selective color image, with the yellow beak and orange feet the only bit of color. Beautifully composed, sharp as a tack and an appreciable context all blend to make a wonderful image. Being a bird lover, it immediately connects.

Rod _Grant – Balloon – Should I mention the envy that emanates from me? I have yet to get a air balloon in my collection and to do that I have to travel far! Excellent image, so many wonderful aspects to appreciate here from the silhouettes, shadows, the colors and light rays and composition. The harsh white has been handled very well, and the timing perfect, getting the balloon just as it’s lifting off. I have little doubt that being an early morning shot, this will tug at many a viewer. I’m somewhat uncertain if you should have removed the other balloon, but it would be worth a attempt.

Vaskebjorn – Black Ibis- Wonderful bird portrait, such lovely appreciable details and a load of wonderful bokeh to boot! No issues with the focus, composition and colors. All the elements of good bird photography are there, including the bit of reflection in the eye. I would certainly like to see one for myself. I would have removed that bit of green grass on the lower left part of the birds neck!

SpecialK – Boobs, black T shirt, Blackletter font, badge – or whatever. A lovely fun shot, and social commentary on a relevant topic in our social construct. Strong composition, and I like that hand coming from behind hinting at not only approval but encouragement to stand for an issue that more often than not, enjoys more cynicism than approval. And someone, no doubt edging in for a closer look! Colors, focus, and super textures too!

Aslyfox- Blue eye and Black Shadow- great timing on this one. Unfortunately, the focus is not as good as it should be, and the camera, (an issue we all struggle with) has focused on the wood and shadows instead. That is not surprising given the narrow space between the wood on which to focus. A manual focus would have done the trick. Composition is good, wonderful textures I like the play between light and shadows on this. Makes for a very nice abstract too!

Atupdate – Barn – A familiar image that I have seen before, and one that grows on you. Inescapable sense of scale and given impact by the sheer wonder in the girl. She is awestruck. Beautifully composed shot, excellent details, easily identifiable scene for many with its colors. Lovely light here too and along with textures and patterns, easily brings it into contention.

Charliezap - Big Bad Bird- Another wonderful bird image, tis one full frame as it were. Kudos for getting such an excellent image through the window, that is more often than not detrimental to a shot! Never mind the background, its wonderful, and has given a stunning textured background that suits the image very well. Colors, composition, focus and details are spot on, Lucky you!

RGlaseal – Bottle – Now, don’t go and be hard on yourself. I’m pretty sure those bridges, begonias, berries and bicycling would do just fine. Another familiar subject, beautifully captured, getting us all thirsty ��. I’m not a great lover of beer, but would not mind trying this out, there seems to be so much history to the stuff and that is just what this image has achieved. Contextual composition, colors, and details all spot on, and like that there is minimal reflections in the bottle-that can easily distract the focal point.

Pelto – Boulders – Welcome to PF, and the weekly challenges in particular, and what a wonderful entry to the forum. An excellent b/w image, full of energy and action. I doubt if the color version would be as impactful as this, so kudos for going with t b/w version. Super textures and details on the boulders coupled with top notch composition makes this a strong contender. And of course the timing, getting those splashing wave is superb!

Smf- Bench – Well yes, besides envy, I’ll also not hold it against you for this snow pic, loaded all the right stuff, photographically speaking. Textures, contrast, composition, patterns, shadows, details and focus are all there. Well I’d guess for those familiar with such snowy scenes, this might be pretty normal, but not for me, (having seen snow only once of twice, end even then in small quantities), this is very appealing and a desire to add something like this to the bucket list. And it sure spells brrrrrrrr…

Kayakpeter - Bear - Welcome to PF, and the weekly challenges in particular. Lucky you. Lucky you! Here I am confined to specimens in the zoo! How cool is that, and you made the most of the opportunity, with a fine capture that oozes the animals power, even aggression. Compositionally spot on, as is the focus. I am tempted to ask- did he/she pose for you? Otherwise it’s also great timing for freezing a bit of the action. Colors too are spot on. On the bucket list too!

Jays0n Break – Ah! An action shot, that got me all curious- Did she break it or not? And what form of martial arts is this, I am more familiar with breaking blocks of wood! Excellent timing, and equally well composed shot. Seems you were pretty low on this one, and I like all the contextual elements you have included in this shot- including the mat in the foreground and spectators in the background. But the expression on her face is what makes this so nice, full of energy, determination and focus.

Jacamar- A Barn – Really ��? I am tempted to believe you visited South Africa, this is so familiar, except for the Barn. The other parts are called Shanty’s around here, and are in abundance, and certainly not isolated such as this. An excellent documentary travel shot, story line that surely will attract some inquiry. As with others in this challenge, all the photographic requirements are there- Composition, colors, focus, details, patterns, textures, colors and details. And leading lines taking you just where you should be-at the derelict old residence and barn. Definitely want to explore the place. Beautiful shot!

Djb47 – Bug on a Bloom – I had wondered if we would get a few bugs, and here we are! Wonderful image, such appealing colors to this, almost two toned complimentary colors. Wonderful composition, and focus spot on. Super Macro shot! And you’ve achieved something that is ever so difficult in macro photography- DOF.

Ramseybuckeye - Boch Hollow, cut from Blackhand Sandstone, Robinson Falls in the Hocking Hills – There are a lot of images of this place on the web (which I googled) and this one is right up there will all of them. Lovely shot, perfect settings on this, 2 sec exposure to give the blurred waterfall. Lots of details and wonderful DOF, especially when viewed enlarged. Wonderful contours providing some excellent patterns and lines. That pop of white is just superb and brings into sharp relief the focal point of the image!

Dmoran Two “B’s – And here we go with another bug shot, and a favourite with many a photographer, and what sets this apart is the rare occasion of getting two species on the same flower. I say rare, partly because I have so few, and have seen only a few on the various forums I belong. So kudos for your timing- an opportunity well used. There is some evidence of harsh light here, which has been well handled, though I would suggest a bit of darkening would do it more justice. The focus is spot on, as are the colors, and no issues with the composition.

Aaacb- Boulders on the beach- As with the other B/W image, this is an image with huge impact, an almost abstract image, with super tones. Lovely use of negative space, with an added bonus of some reflections. Very well composed, and though not as detailed as others, I suspect this is intentional to create the dreamy softer effect. There is a spot -probably another boulder, to the middle right, that should be removed. And that horizon is just wonderful, filling the whole from left to right, and for those who are concerned about PC- from right to left��.

Mingdie- Black and White Beautiful – And so it is- what a beautiful dog, in a beautiful composition for a beautiful portrait. Excellent focus, especially on the eye. And wow, you got some excellent details in this shot. One for the wall!

Photolady95- Bombed by birds-Make sure you are not at the landing spot ��. The nicest of sunset shots, for me at any rate, birds, trees and clouds! For a 85mm focal length, this has s pretty good details on some of the birds, though most are silhouettes. No issues with composition and colors. Are those dust spots or clouds! Upper center and going upwards?

Bigoak- As I cannot see this image, no comments can be made, though I did send a PM to notify that the image is not showing.

Nobidy- Buildings-A really interesting image, a color X-ray, and lovely colors it is too. And very nice reflections, quite a busy shot, but certainly piques the interest. And though I do not know what or where this is, I certainly like the angle and composition on this. I’d guess that one cannot expect reflections to be sharp, there are too many variables with light and distortions. A tighter crop perhaps.

And onto the placings:

1st Place to Rod _Grant- Wonderful colors, terrific atmosphere, with a lot of photographic elements to appreciate.
2nd spot, and only just pipped by Rod_Grant, goes to Pelto, wonderful impact shot!
3rd Spot to Ramseybuckeye-a postcard promotional brochure image creating some wanderlust!

HM’s to Atupdate, Jacamar, and smf. Thank you all, and it’s over to you Rod, to set a new challenge.
Congratulations to all, and thanks very much to Noel for hosting, judging, the comments and honorable mention. And by February, I should be glad to send surplus snow to you, Noel.
10-15-2018, 07:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the deserving winners and thanks to Noel for his generous comments and honourable mention for my barn pic. Ontario's backroads have lots of treasures like that. I've never been to South Africa as you suggest but I did spend 2 years in Malawi in the 1970s. I didn't see anything that looked like your "shanties" in the Lower Shire!

10-15-2018, 08:11 AM   #5

Thank you noelcmn for the nice comments to ‘Boulders’ and for putting me into 2.place . I’m honored :-) and congratulations to rod_grant for winning the challenge.It was also the winning photo for me.
10-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to the winners. Great submissions everyone.

Thanks Noel for your comments.

10-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to Rod and Pelto, fantastic photos!, and thanks Noel for the third place. I really enjoyed your delightful commentary on each photo, well done sir!

10-15-2018, 10:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Noel for this challenge and for your judging. (and for giving me the nod for the balloon).
Thanks all for your kind comments.
I shall give some deep thought for the next challenge and post it later today.
10-16-2018, 02:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The new challenge is up.
Have a go everyone.

Cars and trucks and things that go. - PentaxForums.com
10-17-2018, 12:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Congrats to the winners. Great photos. Thanks for the nice comment Noel