Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
# 520 - Covering 22 October to 28 October 2018
Posted By: Vaskebjorn, 10-22-2018, 03:53 AM

Welcome to the 520th edition of Picture of the Week (POTW), covering 22 October to 28 October 2018.

I noticed that participation in POTW is a bit on the low side. It almost makes me wonder if a lot of Pentaxians lost there drive to take beautiful photos and share them with us all. This is a therefore an invitation to tou all who do not post in POTW to simply do it. It is a lot of fun seeing all the photos taken by people dedicated to Pentax.
I liked last weeks hosting a lot seeing all these marvelous photos and I am confident this time there will be beautiful ones to.
I will start of with a small series of something I was already chasing for some time now and finally I got lucky. These are wild horses (Konik horses to be precise). They live in a reserve that is actually around the corner of where I live.

POTW is a great spot to show off six or fewer shots you take or are editing within the thread's date range. In other words, you can post your shots from this week AND last week.

To post your great photos, just hit reply and attach away.

Feel free to start immediately.

Please:

• consider including in your post any special circumstances or tips on technique or equipment which might be interesting to others.

• identify your camera and lens if that information is easily available to you.

And please invite other Pentaxians to join us.

Some rules:
1) No theme, just post your favorite pix
2) Six or fewer images per person per thread to prevent thread bloat
3) Any Pentax, Ricoh or Samsung camera, film or digital

The current host will invite a new host via Private Message (PM), but if you are interested and willing to host POTW, please send me a PM, before I contact others.

If possible, the new thread will be linked to the previous one. If the thread doesn't start, please contact the host, via PM. Here are the records of recent POTW thread hosts: 390 smf, 391 smf, 392 smf, 393 smf, 394 smf, 395 smf, 396 smf, 397 smf, 398 smf, 399 smf, 400 smf, 401 smf, 402 smf, 403 smf, 404 smf, 405 smf, 406 smf,407 ramseybuckeye, 408 ramseybuckeye, 409 stubyles, 410 stubyles, 411 stubyles, 412-423 SD_Bob, 424-427 dave kitson 428-451 smf 452, 453, 454 StephenHampshire 455 Aslyfox, 456 StepehenHampshire, 457 noelcmn, 458 noelcmn, 459 noelcmn, 460 noelcmn, 461 noelcmn, 462 noelcmn, 463 noelcmn, 464 noelcmn, 465 noelcmn, 466 noelcmn, 467 Aslyfox, 469-470 aaacb 471 Madmathmind, 472 Madmathmind, 473 Eva, 474 rjbrett, 475 Aslyfox, 476 - 485 noelcmn, 486 - 488 rjbrett, 489 clackers, 490 - 498 rjbrett, 499 StephenHampshire 500 smf, 501 StephenHampshire, 502 Eva, 503, Eva, 504 Eva, 505 Eva, 506-520 Vaskebjorn

The series was launched by Peter Zack.

Thanks very much to all hosts and to everyone who contributes images and comments in these threads

Read more at: # 519 - Covering 15 October to 21 October 2018 - PentaxForums.com

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 653
10-22-2018, 06:55 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All I've shot the past week and plan to shoot this week is on film (color, so it does to the lab for a week...). So instead I'm posting two photos I scanned last week, I forgot to put them in the correct thread. Both tmax 400, FA 35mm f/2 (maybe) and M 135mm f/3.5 lenses, respectively.

10-23-2018, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice photos aaacb. You make picking favorites not easy. I have been looking at both for some time now and I think my favorite is the second one. It has the symmetry but also the green trying to mess it up a bit.

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
All I've shot the past week and plan to shoot this week is on film (color, so it does to the lab for a week...). So instead I'm posting two photos I scanned last week, I forgot to put them in the correct thread. Both tmax 400, FA 35mm f/2 (maybe) and M 135mm f/3.5 lenses, respectively.
10-25-2018, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #4
eva
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

10-26-2018, 08:12 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for hosting again Vaskebjorn, lovely images already. A contribution from me.
Rietfontein Nature Reserve, where this lone Bontebok is to be found.

And there was a peacock too

Zoo Lake, where I do my daily 9km walk Mon -Friday

Kloofendal Nature Reserve again-with this strange fly

And in the yard, after trimming the Mulberry tree, I found a tiny tiny Mantis -could not even feel in on my skin so light and small it was

And at this time of the year, the Jacarandas are in full bloom, many streets lined with them. This en route to Zoo Lake
10-27-2018, 02:27 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Jacarandas have been out here too Noel - "Bontebok" ! - another one to look up!. Great detail & color in that Peacock also.

I've been guiltily watching the dust gather on my little point and shoots since buying the K5 18 months ago, and on seeing the newly opened thread for the monthly point and shoot challenge dusted my Pentax Option A30 off. The first two pics here were posted for that challenge (to the theme of glass) over a week ago, but last night I fixed a few minor flaws I'd noticed as I'd posted them, so I'll post here also.

Interestingly I've also acquired an sRGB monitor with LUT and color munki (with a view to printing), and the last silver toned pic here looks fine on that new monitor, but I've already desaturated it once for presentation on this, my older entry level general purpose monitor, and looking at it now can still see purple blues in the clouds..... there - fixed it now. Leaves me wondering how I am seeing other people's pics, and how they see mine!

The patchwork lounge and cane chairs were in a dimly lit mall, and I put the camera onto TV mode, and it's pushed the ISO up to 250 (I had been using 64), and there is some noise. As the camera only takes JPEG there is only so much editing possible but given it's limitations, including my clumsy use, it seems to be doing OK....

Last edited by rjbrett; 10-27-2018 at 03:47 AM.
10-27-2018, 07:11 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi all. Great horse and Bontebok photos!

Today I went with a photography group to Tai Kwun, a former, colonial-era, central police station and prison in Hong Kong. It was recently restored at great expense and is a great place to spend an afternoon.

All photos were taken with my K-5.

#1, #2 and #5 were taken at Tai Kwun, #3 and #4 were on the way... #1 and #5 with my DA 16-85 and the rest with my DA 70 Ltd.
Attached Images

10-27-2018, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice series Eva,
I like these “garden” birdes, but my favorite would be the little one in the second photo that looks like he is sheltering for something.

---------- Post added 10-27-18 at 01:56 PM ----------

Noelcmn, is there a week going by you do not end up in one or another nature reserve . I can not keep up, we only have two in the neighborhood. And we certainly do not have these kind of animals. But this time, my favorite will be one of the small 5 . I like the little ladybug photo a lot.
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Thanks for hosting again Vaskebjorn, lovely images already. A contribution from me.
Rietfontein Nature Reserve, where this lone Bontebok is to be found

---------- Post added 10-27-18 at 02:03 PM ----------

Hi Rjbrett,
your photos look perfectly fine on my screen, which at the moment of typing this is my ipad pro. Colors look good, so I would not worry if i were you.
There are two photos i like most being the first two, but as i could not see if the bottle in front of the lamp is containing a good whiskey, ma favorite is the glass angel. I like the dark/light contrast and we are also already heading towards the winter season again which makes it also rime appropriate.

QuoteOriginally posted by rjbrett Quote
Jacarandas have been out here too Noel - "Bontebok" ! - another one to look up!. Great detail & color in that Peacock also.

I've been guiltily watching the dust gather on my little point and shoots since buying the K5 18 months ago, and on seeing the newly opened thread for the monthly point and shoot challenge dusted my Pentax Option A30 off. The first two pics here were posted for that challenge (to the theme of glass) over a week ago, but last night I fixed a few minor flaws I'd noticed as I'd posted them, so I'll post here also.

Interestingly I've also acquired an sRGB monitor with LUT and color munki (with a view to printing), and the last silver toned pic here looks fine on that new monitor, but I've already desaturated it once for presentation on this, my older entry level general purpose monitor, and looking at it now can still see purple blues in the clouds..... there - fixed it now. Leaves me wondering how I am seeing other people's pics, and how they see mine!

The patchwork lounge and cane chairs were in a dimly lit mall, and I put the camera onto TV mode, and it's pushed the ISO up to 250 (I had been using 64), and there is some noise. As the camera only takes JPEG there is only so much editing possible but given it's limitations, including my clumsy use, it seems to be doing OK....

---------- Post added 10-27-18 at 02:09 PM ----------

Also a very good series nosliwmit,
Sounds like a great place for strolling around and get some good photos.
My favorite photo is the last one, which is as I assume the facade of a building. Quite intriguing due to the strange shapes but perfectly captured.
QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
Hi all. Great horse and Bontebok photos!

Today I went with a photography group to Tai Kwun, a former, colonial-era, central police station and prison in Hong Kong. It was recently restored at great expense and is a great place to spend an afternoon.

All photos were taken with my K-5.

#1, #2 and #5 were taken at Tai Kwun, #3 and #4 were on the way... #1 and #5 with my DA 16-85 and the rest with my DA 70 Ltd.

10-28-2018, 05:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks for the comment Richard, no whiskey though - it's actually a 3 tiered lolly jar that came filled with lollies . I put it on the kitchen bench and by the time I'd worked my way towards the half way mark the ants had found it as well.... so I've just kept it empty, clean, and ornamental since.

Last edited by rjbrett; 10-28-2018 at 05:44 AM.
10-29-2018, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for you nice comments RIchard. Well, I consider myself a nature/wildlife photographer- mostly, and will make efforts to visit places like Nature and game reserves when I can , and can afford it too! All the ones mentioned (Delta Park, Kloofendal Nature Reserve, Zoo Lake, Johannesburg Botanical Gardens, Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens, Rietfontein Nature Reserve and Rabie Ridge Bird and nature Reserve) are all within a 10km radius -more or less- from where I live. There are others, but they're a bit further away. Rietvlei Nature Reserve in Pretoria is my favorite, as it is the closest thing to the Kruger National Park around here!

Rjbrett, the Bontebok is also called a Blesbok - The former name basically a reference to its bounce, the latter to the bald appearance of its face. Confusing I know, but the current preference is Bontebok.
10-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Noelcmn, about the bontebok. You know whats funny as i suppose the name originates in Dutch. It’ Not bont. Bont basically means colorful.

Ps to all, i know i am late but will open a new challenge somewhere tomorrow afternoon. Have to do a hospital visit first.

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Thanks for you nice comments RIchard. Well, I consider myself a nature/wildlife photographer- mostly, and will make efforts to visit places like Nature and game reserves when I can , and can afford it too! All the ones mentioned (Delta Park, Kloofendal Nature Reserve, Zoo Lake, Johannesburg Botanical Gardens, Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens, Rietfontein Nature Reserve and Rabie Ridge Bird and nature Reserve) are all within a 10km radius -more or less- from where I live. There are others, but they're a bit further away. Rietvlei Nature Reserve in Pretoria is my favorite, as it is the closest thing to the Kruger National Park around here!

Rjbrett, the Bontebok is also called a Blesbok - The former name basically a reference to its bounce, the latter to the bald appearance of its face. Confusing I know, but the current preference is Bontebok.