Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Challenge #437 Aligned -- 23 October to 31 October 2018
Posted By: aaacb, 10-23-2018, 04:40 PM

This week's challenge is to show photos of people or things that are aligned in some way. It will run from today until October 31st.

Including a few examples, but this is NOT meant to be a challenge with only street/photos of people, it's just what I mostly have in my library.

The fine print:
Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to select and be the judge for the next week's challenge.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax/Ricoh (DSLR) camera can be used as well as P/S cameras.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge

Last edited by aaacb; 10-23-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Views: 2,673
10-25-2018, 04:00 PM - 4 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

10-26-2018, 07:33 AM - 5 Likes   #17

Cafe, Historic Beaumont Hotel, Kansas. Pentax Kx.
10-27-2018, 11:41 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Site Supporter

"Aligned" for a major reason

The first shot is my entry to the "Aligned" challenge.The others ( with the link) tell the story.Rock Harbor in Orleans- Cape Cod Ma. is very unique. Every year the trees are replaced to guide the boats into the inner basin.When it is low tide you can walk a mile out to the water's edge. The trees serve as a navigation tool to help those that are not familiar with the area. It is a tourist attraction and at high tide the water is 10 ft. deep where the "alignment" trees are. Sunsets there are gorgeous.--charliezap
The Clam Trees at Rock Harbor
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
One day left!

10-31-2018, 05:32 AM - 5 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-31-2018, 01:50 PM - 4 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

Waiting for the tide

Waiting for the tide to return
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
10-31-2018, 06:04 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Aligned
K-1 mII Ltd & A*135/1.8

11-01-2018, 03:43 AM - 5 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Doh! It's 1 Nov in Hong Kong. It might still be 31 Oct somewhere so I'm gonna post anyway because this is a cool challenge. Feel free to disqualify me!

Port-a-potties in Central Park, NY.
Attached Images

11-01-2018, 04:30 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all for your photos, the challenge is now closed I'll try to post results and comments by tomorrow, or Saturday at the latest.
11-02-2018, 05:30 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Last time I had the honor of judging a weekly contest, I didn't have time to comment much. So this time I wanted to take the time, and to thank you for making this a real challenge and having me host it.

SpecialK - fits the theme, and an interesting photo, were the airplanes backlit or did you pp to make them silhouettes?
ramseybuckeye - despite it being heavy machinery, it looks serene. nice (morning?) light and greens on the ground.
rod_grant - it's all about the light in this one, and it creates a certain atmosphere. have you tried a 5:4 crop to remove the branches in the top right? (or pp)
RGlasel - funny play on the theme!
Vaskebjorn - nice simple abstract
mingdie - clean minimalist photo. at least on the light forum background, I would increase brightness and maybe contrast
Hattifnatt - I've always wondered why they used those shapes; if only there was someone walking in the distance
atupdate - pleasant tones, and the extra detail with the objects just outside of the main stage is interesting
jacamar - as if unaligned birds weren't hard enough, plus reflections for good measure
eva - the second monk's gesture is the extra detail needed to focus the viewer and add interest
mocker - clean minimalist photo, I wonder how it would look in black and white
Bruce Clark - golden light, I like it
K1N8 - took me a while to get it, but now I think I do, and the storm clouds add tension. the white tower seems like it could be brightened a bit for more contrast with the clouds
djb47 - almost an abstract
sealonsf - this raises questions which add interest, what are they doing? I like that the subject (second to the right?) is cleanly separated from all others
runswithsizzers - there's a lot of detail in this photo; the brighter chairs in the foreground distract from the posters on the back wall
charliezap - thanks for the full series and the story, beautiful landscape
noelcmn - boat #9 stands out in that nice arrangement, but the background is a bit busy, although I don't see a good way to exclude it from the frame
retsoor - good variety of kayaks
jcdoss - the out of focus cables (?) create an interesting effect, but I'm not sure what to look at between the lamp and the cable
nosliwmit -

And now for the final results:

charliezap is the winner
HM - jacamar, eva, atupdate

Looking forward to next week's challenge!
11-03-2018, 03:38 AM   #26
eva
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats charliezap ,jacamar,atupdate and all participants.It was nice, interesting challenge. A lot of good entries. Looking forward to next theme.

Last edited by eva; 11-03-2018 at 07:58 AM.
11-03-2018, 05:59 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I created a winners thread that copies what I wrote above, thanks Noel for pointing out that it's preferable to have a new thread WINNERS Challenge #437 Aligned -- 23 October to 31 October 2018 - PentaxForums.com
11-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks aaacb for hosting the contest and for the comments and the HM. I'm very aware that those of us (like me) with an opportunity to travel have a bit of an advantage sometimes. Congratulations to charliezap and to atupdate and eva. Lots of good submissions - looking forward to the next theme!
11-04-2018, 06:18 AM   #29
Site Supporter

I'm truly honored again to winning the challenge.I sent a PM to aaacb saying that I'm passing on hosting the next challenge because my plate here is full with my wife recovering from emergency open heart surgery to replace an infected mitral valve.--charliezap