Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
#440 - WINNERS - Animals, close-up
Posted By: Vaskebjorn, 11-27-2018, 01:53 AM

I liked this challenge a lot. There were already a lot of entries in the first day. I got the idea because i had the elephant photo printed on alu at 80x60 (cm not inches) and discovered that i ran out of place to hang it

Photolady95 : Great shot of this bird (I can not guess which kind it is) it looks like it even took a bath before you got the photo judging the roughed up feathers.

Bruce Clark : This is amazing indeed. It could almost be the same photo. But is is 10.450km apart (I checked ). I always like the tigers and most of the time there is a massive glass pane in between the tiger and the camera which makes taking a photo somewhat more challenging.

Tmlawes : Did you not hand him the napkin before you took the photo to get a “clean” shot. I always find herons difficult to sneek up to but you succeeded very well and even got a front shot.

SpecialK : Of course, the king of the animals had to be there. I like this shot a lot. You took it from an elevated place and it looks like he is staring in the distance trying to figure out which Zebra to eat for dinner.

atupdate : After we had grumpy cat for years we now have a new internet sensation I think. Grumpy Eel . Very good shot. I do not know how you took it but it is amazing. I tried to get some photos of fish in an aquarium and had a lot of them but none of them was a succes. Very grainy and/or not sharp and you got this one so close and so clear.

CharLac : Good frog photo, did you get it in the wild ? I like the deep greens in the frog a lot. I have been looking at the photo for some time to see if I would prefer a quarter turn to the left, but could not reach a conclusion on that question.

jchorst : I think it should be a hard rock band. I am not really into fishing, but i like the setup of the photo. Only thing that might have improved it would be if you found koi for some additional color.

jacamar : this is a really good chipmumk shot. I had to open the link to see what animal it is, but you got it really sharp and it has a lot of details.

Rod_grant : I bet she/he wanted to have a royalties discussion with you . Nice clean shot, i really like how the curly hair turned out. It softens the powerful look somewhat.

lukulele : that is something I do not have to worry about. And i am not talking about the rodents. Very nice shot from a good POV. I also like you made the dimensions of the photo a lot longer, suits the snake.

charliezap : You did have to be afraid I think. It looks like he already had lunch. You must be living in a nice location if you get these on your railing. I have to settle with sparrows . But great catch and the wintery “framing” adds to the setting. I also like that the background color is in sync with the bird.

ramseybuckeye : it was a matter of patience i guess before someone would pick a cat . I would say it is a Maine Coon. I like these a lot and always find them a joy and i have 7 at the moment although I used to have over 20 when My cattery was still “operational” (my forum name is my catteryname. If you add a .com you can still find the homepage). As to Fester, i think he has been portrayed very well. With the light from below it almost seems as if he wanted one of these ghostly shots for halloween.

aaacb : I see you found another couch tiger . I like the shot, and as black is always very difficult, you got the cat with a lot of detail. Also the eyes stand out very beautiful. The pinkish light coming through the (what I guess) bedroom curtains gives a nice contrast.

sr20det387 : Welcome to this challenge and you were certainly in time. Nicenphoto of Chester and I like the POV. I also like the way the second dog is standing. In a fleeting glance you might think it is one big dog.

nobody : Good catphoto of this little lady. I especially like how the eyes and the whiskers stand out. Looking at the reflection in her eyes it looks like you used a flash. The pupils stayed nicely black though. “Red” eyes in cats can look very awkward. I have a Maine Coon in almost the same colorsetting called Hello Kitty

noelcmn : Great photo. These are not easy to get. They are somewhat skittish in my experience (although this specific kind are not to be found around here). I really like the amount of negative space in this photo. It is just dark enough for the white bird.

eva : Great photo of this little deer. I love the colors and the details on this photo especially the couple of hairs on the brow of the eye on the other side of the deer. I also like the fact that the photo has some movement in the ear. It pictures their normal behavior In my opinion.

1st : atupdate
2nd : tmlawes
3rd : SpecialK

Honorary Mention : Bruce Clark, CharLac, rod_grant
Honorary Cat : ramseybuckey

Attached Images

Views: 725
11-27-2018, 03:20 AM   #2
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats to the winner! and the honorary winners.

The photo had you clicked on it would have taken you to the flickr version would have told you it was a Red Shouldered Hawk, and the "bath" was because he was sitting in my bird bath at the time of the shot. Thanks for comments.
11-27-2018, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Atupdate, scary, close up that, and a worthy winner! The blue tone just adds so much to the overall impact! And congrats extended to Tmlawes and SpecialK, and not forgetting the honorable mentions Bruce Clark, CharLac and rod_grant and not forgetting that honorable cat that has appeared a few times on PF. Thanks Vaskebjorn for the challenge, the CC's and some interesting info too! Great job everyone, as usual a feast for the eyes.
11-27-2018, 04:18 AM   #4
eva
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the winner andall participants.Thx Vaskebjorn for challenge and coments on each photo.

11-27-2018, 04:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A great challenge and great variety of entries.
Thanks Vaskebjorn, and congrats atupdate and the rest of you.
11-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks everyone. A very interesting challenge. My eel picture was taken at the Newport Aquarium in Newport, KY. It had just backed away from the corner of it's glass enclosure. The blue coloration was from the lighting.

Need a little time to think of a challenge topic. Will post soon.

Tim
11-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #7

Congrats to the winner and, as usually all HM's and all participants. Great shots!
11-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@Vaskebjorn

CharLac : Good frog photo, did you get it in the wild ? I like the deep greens in the frog a lot. I have been looking at the photo for some time to see if I would prefer a quarter turn to the left, but could not reach a conclusion on that question.

Thanks, yes in the wild whilst fishing with my son; he fished, I played around with my new 100mm Macro. :-) Personally, I did not want the frog too "perfectly" lined up in the picture who knows, maybe it would be more aesthetically pleasing that way.

Google Maps

11-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I voted for the eel, but thanks for 3rd :-)