Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Weekly Photo Challenge #442 -- My Favorite Image From 2018
Posted By: djb47, 12-05-2018, 11:50 AM

The challenge this week is to post your favorite photo taken during this past year. The photo can be of any subject but it must have been taken during 2018. The challenge will close at Midnight on Tuesday the 11th of December 2018 EST. Winners to be declared early on Wednesday.

The fine print:

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to select and be the judge for the next week's challenge.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax/Ricoh (DSLR) camera can be used as well as P/S cameras.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

My favorite image from this year:


Views: 2,319
12-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #16
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruiing the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,996
I dropped out because this is not the challenge I used to play. I played in Project 52. Good luck to the entrants here!

12-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #17
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,464
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I dropped out because this is not the challenge I used to play. I played in Project 52. Good luck to the entrants here!
Don't drop out. It was nice seeing you in the challenge.

Tim
12-08-2018, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #18
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruiing the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,996
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Don't drop out. It was nice seeing you in the challenge.

Tim
PM sent
12-08-2018, 06:28 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: München
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 157
A Look Back

Tough choice. I'll try this one. Cheers, Christoph

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
12-09-2018, 01:34 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Vaskebjorn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Almere, The Netherlands
Posts: 387
Photolady,

Did project 52 evolve into POTW or were they separate. When separate why not reinstate project 52. I would like an extra challenge, although we already have the weekly challenge.

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I dropped out because this is not the challenge I used to play. I played in Project 52. Good luck to the entrants here!
12-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #21
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruiing the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,996
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
Photolady,

Did project 52 evolve into POTW or were they separate. When separate why not reinstate project 52. I would like an extra challenge, although we already have the weekly challenge.
No, it didn't evolve into POTW, it was a separate challenge, and it just kind of went by the way. I'm not sure why, mostly I think because we had a type of "moderator" situation and no one wanted to pick it up as the next moderator. And I don't remember when the last one was run. I'd have to do some searching on the forums to find that information.

If you want to know what it was about just do a search and type in Project 52, in the search box. You should be able to pull something up.
12-09-2018, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Africa-Johannesburg
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 29,334
To save you some trouble
Project 52-8-1- Black and White - PentaxForums.com
and usually the winners were announced
WINNERS-PROJECT 52-8-1- Black and White - PentaxForums.com

The no 8 is a reference to the number of years it has been running. No 1 for the 1st challenge.

The last project 52 was in 2016, when I was the "host", and at the end of the year, there were no "takers" to host it for the next year, and seeing I had already hosted it 3 times, was not prepared to do so again, especially with waning interest. I liked Project 52, it contributed enormously to my development as a photographer. Great for disciplined thoughtful shooting.
If you want to start it again Vaskebjorn, I'd be keen .
12-09-2018, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Vaskebjorn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Almere, The Netherlands
Posts: 387
Hi Noel,

I already found some postings.
Maybe I can take it up un 2019 in Januari although Januari is probably not the best month to start for me as you know. But I always like contests. As you are a veteran could I tap into your expertise for a bit . I will PM you for that.

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
To save you some trouble
Project 52-8-1- Black and White - PentaxForums.com
and usually the winners were announced
WINNERS-PROJECT 52-8-1- Black and White - PentaxForums.com

The no 8 is a reference to the number of years it has been running. No 1 for the 1st challenge.

The last project 52 was in 2016, when I was the "host", and at the end of the year, there were no "takers" to host it for the next year, and seeing I had already hosted it 3 times, was not prepared to do so again, especially with waning interest. I liked Project 52, it contributed enormously to my development as a photographer. Great for disciplined thoughtful shooting.
If you want to start it again Vaskebjorn, I'd be keen .


12-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #24
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruiing the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,996
The "host" Noel refers to was actually called Moderator.

The main reason it died was because you moderated for a full year and not everyone had the time to do that, I did for a few times too but then I started having health problems, and couldn't always be there. Noel, being the guy who had other commitments, couldn't always be there either, so when no one wanted to pick up the ball, so to speak, it fell by the way.

I think Adam (our admin here) stepped in once and tried to revive it but that didn't last long either because like us, he had other commitments too.


I think it would be nice to have it come to being again, but only if you include at the bottom a tribute to those who moderated in the past years. I see in 2016, that was dropped. We used to list who actually started Project 52, and then list each by name and which Project 52 they did, and it was linked back to that Project 52.

There also was a .pdf made for the themes but if you decide to pick this up you can make a list of your own themes, I'm going to give you the page with the proposed themes attachment at the bottom of the page.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/105062-p52-year-3-a.html

Member Rense started this Project 52.

Last edited by photolady95; 12-09-2018 at 04:41 PM.
12-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #25
Gaseous Anomaly
Loyal Site Supporter
jcdoss's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Jasper, AR
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,853
Maybe y'all should start a poll and see how much interest there is. I'd be game, but not if we're going to pick winners. I think it would be fun just to see who can complete the 52 weeks. If you want to run parallel to another 52 week style challenge, check out 52Frames.
12-09-2018, 08:25 PM   #26
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruiing the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,996
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Maybe y'all should start a poll and see how much interest there is. I'd be game, but not if we're going to pick winners. I think it would be fun just to see who can complete the 52 weeks. If you want to run parallel to another 52 week style challenge, check out 52Frames.
That's not the same thing as Project 52.
12-09-2018, 08:46 PM   #27
Gaseous Anomaly
Loyal Site Supporter
jcdoss's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Jasper, AR
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,853
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
That's not the same thing as Project 52.
I know that. I participated in the last couple of years' worth of Project 52 here at PF. But if nothing re-emerges here, 52Frames offers a decent alternative.
12-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #28
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruiing the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,996
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I know that. I participated in the last couple of years' worth of Project 52 here at PF. But if nothing re-emerges here, 52Frames offers a decent alternative.
I knew that too, but I enjoyed Project 52 the way it was, not 52 frames as it seems to be a lot like SIC and I've been active in the that for the last eight years.
12-10-2018, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Vaskebjorn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Almere, The Netherlands
Posts: 387
Interest migh be a problem to be honest. I hosted about 20 POTW in a row and I get the idea that interest is somewhat waning. Not that it is fgoing massively down, but somehow it gets posted fewer photos i think currently as in the beginning. i like POTW as there is not really a winner ( although I also like the weekly challenge because there is one ). It also hase a bkt more flexibility. I also liked hosting and would not mind hosting it agin or for a longer period. I liked looking at all the photos and see what I liked and what not and give some kind of comments and pick my favorite out of a series. I am not even close to assuming that i am an expert but nevertheless I tried to comment. Sometimes i had to combine two weeks into 1 POTW, but no one seemed to mind that. I asked Noel to take over because I ran into some health issues at the beginning of 2018 (2 hospital stays) that supposedly get sorted out at the beginning of 2019 ( as the docters in the hospital say ). I will give it a good thought over my upcoming holiday, but I lean somewhat to skipping it for next year as Januari will already be difficult. And whenever Noel gets fed up with POTW I can alway take over that one again.
I hope you are not to dissappointed when it is not starting in 2019. If my health was not an issue I probably would have done it.

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I knew that too, but I enjoyed Project 52 the way it was, not 52 frames as it seems to be a lot like SIC and I've been active in the that for the last eight years.

Last edited by Vaskebjorn; 12-10-2018 at 12:33 AM.
12-10-2018, 04:14 AM   #30
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruiing the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,996
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
Interest migh be a problem to be honest. I hosted about 20 POTW in a row and I get the idea that interest is somewhat waning. Not that it is fgoing massively down, but somehow it gets posted fewer photos i think currently as in the beginning. i like POTW as there is not really a winner ( although I also like the weekly challenge because there is one ). It also hase a bkt more flexibility. I also liked hosting and would not mind hosting it agin or for a longer period. I liked looking at all the photos and see what I liked and what not and give some kind of comments and pick my favorite out of a series. I am not even close to assuming that i am an expert but nevertheless I tried to comment. Sometimes i had to combine two weeks into 1 POTW, but no one seemed to mind that. I asked Noel to take over because I ran into some health issues at the beginning of 2018 (2 hospital stays) that supposedly get sorted out at the beginning of 2019 ( as the docters in the hospital say ). I will give it a good thought over my upcoming holiday, but I lean somewhat to skipping it for next year as Januari will already be difficult. And whenever Noel gets fed up with POTW I can alway take over that one again.
I hope you are not to dissappointed when it is not starting in 2019. If my health was not an issue I probably would have done it.
I played in POTW for sometime. When it started waning, I started waning too. Maybe I'll jump back in there too. I need some other place on here to post my photos beside my insect thread I started because frankly, I haven't seen any insects this year (long story) and PYP is full of other peoples photos, and I'd rather give those folks a chance there to show their work. POTW was a good place to put my photos other than just the one a day I had for SIC because I took more than one photo a day. See ya over there later today.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
challenge, judge, photo, photo challenge, picture, post, theme, week, winner, winners
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weekly Challenge Weekly Challenge Weekly Challenge #426 - Lines nobody Weekly Photo Challenges 26 07-18-2018 01:37 AM
Weekly Challenge Weekly Challenge Winners weekly challenge #419 - Panning Doctor X Weekly Photo Challenges 7 04-18-2018 02:44 PM
Weekly Challenge Picture of The Week (POTW) 442 Feb. 4 — Feb. 18, 2017 smf Weekly Photo Challenges 10 02-18-2017 10:54 PM
Weekly Challenge Weekly Challenge Winners - Weekly Challenge #284 - Creative Selfie geomez Weekly Photo Challenges 6 05-23-2014 11:50 AM
Weekly Challenge Weekly Challenge Winners - Weekly Challenge #283 Shelter Arjay Bee Weekly Photo Challenges 12 05-13-2014 03:35 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:49 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top