Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weekly Challenge #443 - "From Above" - WINNERS!
Posted By: jacamar, 12-21-2018, 01:33 PM

I was pleased with the response to this challenge – lots of different ways to express the theme. A vertical shot provides an opportunity to look at the subject in a new way, and many of you took good advantage of that.
I hope the following comments are seen as constructive:
Photolady “straight down inside the flower” – I expected macro shots, and this one is very pleasing in colour, texture and focus.
charliezap – “good that it is not really from above”. A “trompe d’oeil” shot with a strong sense of colour and drama.
jchorst – “a straw in a glass” – nice shot with soft colours and dreamy bokeh.
aacb – untitled – an oblique shot of a utilitarian urban space with little relief from the trees and coloured panels
atupdate – puppy – a well-composed shot with good eye contact and some background colour to offset the main subject
eva – “view from Petronas Twin Towers” – a strong sense of elevation with good colour and flowing lines. One of those times when it’s reassuring to have a neck or wrist strap on your camera!
Sealonsf – “above Palermo” – warm colours, strong sky and a sense of history, but not really a downward – oriented shot.
Djb47 - “Looking down into the Canyon de Chelly” – good colours and rock features, but not a strong sense of being above the subject.
SpecialK – “Trail, Walnut Canyon AZ” – a great example of why it can be a good idea to look downwards for photo opportunities from time to time.
Nobody - “Jing yang street style” – A very strong sense of being above the subject, with striking shadows and an interesting linkage between the human and the dog.
Vaskebjorn – “Little racoon” – again a strong sense of looking vertically down, with good engagement through detail especially the eyes.
dlh – Abandoned landmark shopping centre – interesting lines and angles
RGlasel - Fisherman, South Saskatchewan River. A good near-vertical shot with the colour of the lure as a highlight.
Dineubec – “atop a lily” – good focus and colour.
ramseybuckeye – Conkles Hollow – not quite vertical but a sense of mystery and depth due to the mist and rain.
Hatiffnatt – “White flower” – interesting B&W interpretation with great progression of depth and bokeh.
rod grant - interesting angle on a classic car.
noelcmn – “wrapped cars” – not quite vertical but there’s something sinister and militaristic- feeling about this B&W image. Maybe inspired by “Black Mirror”, if you get that in South Africa?
gump – lily in cemetery – interesting curves in the flower structure.
mingdie – “Beauty” – an ethereal – looking whale or dolphin – approaching an abstract.
Squideyes – stingray – strange coincidence that this and mingdie’s image arrived one after the other. Interesting light patterns.
Shervonn – “Colorado Flood Stage” – great interpretation of the theme, a striking, almost abstract image with contrasting alignment and texture
Bruce Clark – The “old world” often has a lot of unexpected incidental interest in streets and back lanes – yet another advantage of looking down for photo opportunities from time to time!
Results
I have to say that among several striking images in this challenge shervonne’s “Colorado flood stage” stood out for me for its mood and original approach, and I’ve decided to place that first.

It was hard to choose between this and Hattifnatt’s “white flower” – a very worthy second place.
Nobody’s Jing yang street style places third (I Googled the title but was none the wiser!).
Special mentions for Noel’s wrapped cars, Vaskebjorn’s “little racoon” and mingdie’s “beauty”.
Not sure why I’m so attracted to B&W images all of a sudden!
I look forward to shervonne’s theme for the next weekly challenge.
Views: 364
12-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Shervonne, vertigo inducing image, love the colors, and a worthy winner imho. Congrats extended to Hattifnatt and Nobody. And ever so happy with a HM< considering the high quality of the submissions in this challenge. Thanks Jacamar for the challenge the CC's and judging exercise. I think nobody was having a play on the Yin Yang concept - very clever too!
12-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to Shervonne! 10x for the second place and hosting, does anybody know what flower is that? good job everybody.
12-22-2018, 12:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
I think nobody was having a play on the Yin Yang concept - very clever too!
Noel, certainly yes.

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
I Googled the title but was none the wiser!
yīnyáng, ("dark-bright", "negative-positive") describes how seemingly opposite or contrary forces may actually be complementary, interconnected, and interdependent in the natural world, and how they may give rise to each other as they interrelate to one another. (Source: wikipedia). The man and his shadow is on a bright while white dog is on the dark. Yin Yang.

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
an interesting linkage between the human and the dog
It is a leash only. Or lash...

Attached Images

Last edited by nobody; 12-22-2018 at 12:26 AM.
12-22-2018, 12:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to Shervonne. Great photo indeed. Looking forward to the next challenge.
12-22-2018, 04:19 AM   #6
eva
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congratulations to Shervonne ,Hattifnatt,Nobody and HM's.
12-22-2018, 04:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Great challenge and I'm glad I didn't have to judge this one. Congratulations to Shervonne and all of the winners.

Tim
12-22-2018, 06:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Shervonne ,Hattifnatt,Nobody and the HM's.

12-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to all. Great pictures!
12-22-2018, 08:21 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nobody Quote
Yin Yang
I'm aware of "Yin Yang" - it was the "J" that got me.

Thanks for the comments and best of the season to everyone - even the lurkers out there!
12-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh my, I didn’t realize I had been selected. I thought the white flower image won. All the photographs were good, who can resist the gaze of a puppy looking up at them? Or marvel at sea life under rippling water or wonder where loads of wrapped blanked vehicles are going? This forum is a fantastic place to see subjects and events through the eyes of others, images captured in an instant through the camera.
I have a theme in mind and will post it this eve when I get to my reg PC.
12-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Congrats to Shervonn. A great range of photos in this challange