Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
POTW #530 - Period 24 December 2018-6 January 2019 - NEW YEAR EDITION
Posted By: noelcmn, 12-31-2018, 01:41 PM

Welcome to the 529th edition of Picture of the Week (POTW), covering 24 December to 6 January 2019. For this weeks POTW, we are calling it "NEW YEAR EDITION" and you are invited to submit all things related to New Year celebrations and the holiday season, and seeing that Christmas is included in the date range, those are welcome too!

I take this opportunity to wish all Pentaxians (and visitors) a very Blessed 2019, filled with all things good! Hope you and yours have a wonderful 2019!

POTW is a great spot to show off six or fewer shots you take or are editing within the thread's date range. In other words, you can post your shots from this week AND last week.

To post your great photos, just hit reply and attach away.

Feel free to start immediately.

Please:

consider including in your post any special circumstances or tips on technique or equipment which might be interesting to others.

identify your camera and lens if that information is easily available to you.

And please invite other Pentaxians to join us.

Some rules:
1) No theme, just post your favorite pix
2) Six or fewer images per person per thread to prevent thread bloat
3) Any Pentax, Ricoh or Samsung camera, film or digital

The current host will invite a new host via Private Message (PM), but if you are interested and willing to host POTW, please send me a PM, before I contact others.

If possible, the new thread will be linked to the previous one. If the thread doesn't start, please contact the host, via PM. Here are the records of recent POTW thread hosts: 390-406 smf, 407-408ramseybuckeye, 409-411 stubyles, 412-423 SD_Bob, 424-427 dave kitson 428-451 smf 452, 453, 454 StephenHampshire 455 Aslyfox, 456 StepehenHampshire, 457-466 noelcmn, 467 Aslyfox, 469-470 aaacb 471 Madmathmind, 472 Madmathmind, 473 Eva, 474 rjbrett, 475 Aslyfox, 476 - 485 noelcmn, 486 - 488 rjbrett, 489 clackers, 490 - 498 rjbrett, 499 StephenHampshire 500 smf, 501 StephenHampshire, 502-505 Eva, 506-525 Vaskebjorn, 526 noelcmn, 527 noelcmn, 528 noelcmn, 529 noelcmn

The series was launched by Peter Zack.

Thanks very much to all hosts and to everyone who contributes images and comments in these threads. And we warmly welcome any new contributions, especially from new joiners.
Views: 896
12-31-2018, 01:49 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
And starting us off, a Visit to Rietvlei Nature Reserve on the 26th and some images from that visit.

And the first time is 6 years of visiting the place, I saw the Cheetah, part of a research and breeding program. The offspring, once mature and independent, are removed and relocated to other Game/Nature Reserves across South Africa.

The visit coincided with the annual visit of the Whiskered Terns

The yellow Billed Egrets are ever present with Rhino, Eland, Zebra, Blesbok, Hartebeest and Buffalo and Gnu.

Talking of Gnu

And new life for the New Year. This fella could not have been more that a few days old.
12-31-2018, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Noel, all the best in 2019 to you and your family too. Also to all Pentaxians around the world.

Unfortunately I do not have a lot to post, so this one will have to do.
It was take in Port el Kantoaui, Tunisia.
Sitting on a terrace at sundown.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-31-2018, 06:02 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Holidays? Wake me up when they're Over

My St. Bernard, "Howard" doesn't care about the holidays, just his next walk, meal, snack....etc. Happy New Year !!!!

---------- Post added 12-31-18 at 06:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
My St. Bernard, "Howard" doesn't care about the holidays, just his next walk, meal, snack....etc. Happy New Year !!!!
Sorry to all of my fellow Pentaxians....these were taken with my Leica, but it was the only camera I had at the time...I promise to make it up to all of you....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LEICA CL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
LEICA CL  Photo 
01-01-2019, 12:50 PM - 2 Likes   #5

I went out early this morning to get some New Year's shots, and was lucky enough to get some good ones after last nights rain

I especially like the colors in the second shot, it's got a lovely warm/vintage feel.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
01-02-2019, 04:50 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only Happy New Year I've had so far was meal my oldest brother cooked yesterday, the traditional southern black-eyed peas and rice, a southern dish that is supposed be bring luck all year. I hope it works because last year, wasn't that lucky for me, other than my Jeep.

So, Noel, thanks for the

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
I take this opportunity to wish all Pentaxians (and visitors) a very Blessed 2019, filled with all things good! Hope you and yours have a wonderful 2019!
Now for the photos. I haven't taken any so far this year but here are few from the last days of 2018:

Adult White Ibis hunting moles in the front yard

Out with my daughter who was visiting after Christmas, and we were at a local river park where I frequently go to for my bird shots.
Great White Egret and reflection. The reflection was the reason for shot.

01-02-2019, 11:32 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks you all for posting.
Vaskebjorn, glad to see you here, and splendid Silhouette that! Tunisa mmmm... must be a HOT place!
Merv-O, Howard is welcome, he looks like a contented dog, and RULER OF THE ROOST by all accounts! As far as I know, we have no issues with Leica .
JamesNZ, WELCOME-to PF and POTW in particular. Agree with you about the 2nd post, and it looks like its glistening. Super shot! Hope we see more of you!
Photolady95, you are welcome. And you are LUCKY. A flock of Ibises hunting in the front yard. And hunting MOLES? how very interesting. Not seen anything like that here in SA, though from just looking at those birds, they seem a bit larger than the few species of Ibises we have here. Lovely reflection shot of that wonderful bird, Great white Egret. They occur around here as well, quite the global bird it seems.

I'll share this sighting from the other day. After heavy rains, the flying termites emerge by the hundreds, and birds cash in on the bounty; At Zoo Lake, and I counted Egrets, Grey Turaco, Lesser blue eared Starling, Pied Starling and Red Winged Starling, Indian Myna, Weavers, Sparrows and Bulbuls at the spot.
First were the Egrets, picking them up as they emerge from the underground nest, wise move, seeing that they do not have the dexterity to catch them in flight.

This one just above the nest

The Greedy Pied Starling with two termites in its beak

Lesser Blue eared Starling, Indian Myna, Bulbul and Pied Starling waiting.

Red Winged Starling with Catch

The Indian Myna's outnumbered the rest

Keep clicking and keep posting here!
01-02-2019, 08:55 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Most of my photos have been on film this past week, so nothing to show yet. But I thought I'd post one of the few digital ones I got. This is my cat in a cat tunnel K10D with onboard flash and DA 15

01-03-2019, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Mantle at Xmas

Typical Holiday Picture....a bit cliche', but an annual tradition....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
01-03-2019, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are some I took from our front yard yesterday, not wild life but wild flowers: The first and second are the same flower but different shots. I was trying to find the best composition to which I would I choose which I wanted for my Single in shot of the day.

01-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Here are some I took from our front yard yesterday, not wild life but wild flowers: The first and second are the same flower but different shots. I was trying to find the best composition to which I would I choose which I wanted for my Single in shot of the day.

I prefer the single close up. I like all three but the middle flower seems to be bent in the first two. The clarity and white balance are very good though so all the images are well done. Just like the close-up the best.

---------- Post added 01-03-19 at 12:16 PM ----------

And starting us off, a Visit to Rietvlei Nature Reserve on the 26th and some images from that visit.

And the first time is 6 years of visiting the place, I saw the Cheetah, part of a research and breeding program. The offspring, once mature and independent, are removed and relocated to other Game/Nature Reserves across South Africa.

The visit coincided with the annual visit of the Whiskered Terns

The yellow Billed Egrets are ever present with Rhino, Eland, Zebra, Blesbok, Hartebeest and Buffalo and Gnu.

Talking of Gnu

And new life for the New Year. This fella could not have been more that a few days old.
Noel:
Your subject matter puts me in awe. South Africa's diverse Flora and Fauna is simply a treasure trove of potential 'keepers'. In this animal kingdom assortment, however, I enjoyed the Rhino photo the best because if one looks closely, there is a bird (goose genus?) in between these large behemoths and they bird as well as the Rhinos are not disturbed by each others close proximity.

In contrast, you;ve seen my St. Bernard's photos and my daughter's (small 12 pound) Shi Tzu is so afraid of him, I can never compose a picture with them both in it. Kudos on these.
01-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for you kind comments, Merv-O. The bird is the same as the one I posted, Yellow Billed Egret, they love keeping company with ungulates, which of course disturb insects that they are able to feed on. And yes, South Africa, along with the rest of Africa, in wonderfully blessed with Fauna and Flora. And I make the most of it
01-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for you kind comments, Merv-O. The bird is the same as the one I posted, Yellow Billed Egret, they love keeping company with ungulates, which of course disturb insects that they are able to feed on. And yes, South Africa, along with the rest of Africa, in wonderfully blessed with Fauna and Flora. And I make the most of it
I'm looking at my inquiry and I really don't know my birds--I'd be laughed out of the Audobon Society for sure. An egret is a far cry from a "goose"--wow....I hope you enjoyed a chuckle out of that one. Nonetheless, I enjoy your photos immensely.
01-03-2019, 03:51 PM - 4 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Happy New Year!

I love the egret and zebra photos. I'm envious...

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesNZ Quote
I went out early this morning to get some New Year's shots, and was lucky enough to get some good ones after last nights rain
Welcome to POTW! I like the dew in the second shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Great White Egret and reflection.The reflection was the reason for shot.
Very nice. I always take pictures of egrets. Such majestic birds.

I'll share this sighting from the other day. After heavy rains, the flying termites emerge by the hundreds, and birds cash in on the bounty; At Zoo Lake, and I counted Egrets, Grey Turaco, Lesser blue eared Starling, Pied Starling and Red Winged Starling, Indian Myna,Weavers, Sparrows and Bulbuls at the spot.
More egrets! Love the mynas too. We have lots of crested mynas here in Hong Kong. Bulbuls too!

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
This is my cat in a cat tunnel
One of my cats would love this. The other couldn't be bothered.

I went to Hoi An, Vietnam for New Year's. When I was there 10 years ago it was a lovely, quiet town with lots of beautiful, old buildings, some interesting history etc. Now it's a tourist nightmare, replete with tour buses, large groups, hundreds of shops selling tourist gewgaws... I went out with a photographer to get some portrait practice and some nice shots. All with my new K-1 Mk II.

#1: At the market
#2: Posed photo. Shelling some kind of nut...
#3: Also posed. At a small temple far from the touristy area.
#4: A little hint of history on an old building in town.
#5: Another posed photo at the temple. It was rainy and gray but the colors were wonderful. The Ao Dai (traditional outfit) is so simple but graceful and, even though it was staged, I really like this photo. With my DA 70 Ltd.
Attached Images

01-03-2019, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #15
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Only one shot from me today, one of our long grown trees is dying and a friend of my brother's who is a tree surgeon has offered to remove it for us before next years hurricane season arrives.
More on the tree removal:
Just so you know, the power lines you see are across the street not near where he was cutting. Eventually, he'll take the whole tree out, but this as far as he got today.
The tree is dying, that's why there was Spanish moss growing on it. During a hurricane, one root had almost uprooted the tree and that caused it to start becoming unstable, and the moss to start growing. it was time to take it down before the next hurricane uprooted it and it fell on a vehicle that is constantly parked in the driveway just to the left of the tree.

Noel, your Egrets are similar to what we have here called a Cattle Egret:

Cattle Egret Overview, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

I have photos of them, but would have to got to my archives to find one and that wouldn't fit this week's challenge.