Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Winners challenge #445- equus
Posted By: noelcmn, 01-14-2019, 01:08 PM

Thank you all that entered the challenge, I am gratified with the submissions, especially that some have taken up the challenge of submitting art presentations. As usual a high standard is maintained. Here are my thoughts.

Merv-O- Giddy-up. I am sorry but the challenge calls for one submission, and despite that I like a variety of images, I’m sticking to the rules and will take your first submission as your entry, and a fine one it is, setting the bar high. Lovely composition even if the horse is rather centered in the image and I love the contrast of the two dominant colors of green and fawn. A tighter crop I think will make this more impactful, removing the horizontal pole at the bottom and a bit more of the barn at the left. A feel-good image. Almost an early morning shot, with a bit of haze, though the EXIF says it was shot was taken in the afternoon.

Hattifnatt-Little horse- What beautiful light you got for this shot, giving the horse a golden glow on the mane. Sharp as can be, and color balance is spot on. No issues with the composition, and appreciate the element of juxtaposition. Top marks for cuteness factor!

RGlasel – 3 Horses -This is a beautiful image, horses set in a landscape, while retaining the dominance of focus. And a key element in photography, you got eye contact from all 3 horses, Are those sheep in the background? They add a wonderful rural element, as does the lone hut. Colors, composition and sharpness are all spot on. Love the note of inquisitiveness you’ve captured here.

Atupdate –Spring at Cincinnati Zoo. Fab shot, wonderful cuteness factor, and lovely isolation to get the eyes on the Zebras. Colors, composition and sharpness are spot on. One for the advertising boards for the Zoo.

Aaacb- Horse racing at Suffolk Downs- Wow, what timing and skill you have displayed here, two horses caught with their legs off the ground. Superb action shot, including scattered sand and dust. And so sharp. And details are just superb, No issues with the composition and colors. Skilled photographer. I’ve never done horse racing/gambling, but my older brother did, and I recall the images, very much like this one, in the advertising brochures. Right up there!

SpecialK-Cape Medocino CA- One of those images that evokes “I wish I was there”. Another delightful landscape, and as with RGlasel’s image, the horse holds the attention so very well. And it colors matched ever so nicely by the waves beyond. And the unmistakable note of a windy day with that tail between the legs! No issues with composition, colors or sharpness! It reminds me of Gandalf’s horse from LOTR, ready for action!

Vaskebjorn- The donkey that served as our house - Donkeys suffer from a range of misguided prejudices, this though presents it as both beautiful and worthy of portraiture. Wonderful light used to the optimum, and amazing details you got here. I am tempted to ask you to post those wild horses, but I’ll settle for one of man’s best friends, and beast of burden. Color, composition sharpness spot on!

Djb47- Tryon International Equestrian Centre – Another superb action shot, with excellent timing, and what intensity has been captured in this image, not just from the horse, but also the rider. And I am impressed with the DOF you have achieved here, giving appreciable details. One to be proud of!

CharlieZap- Horse &%#$  - Well now, the answer will not be me! Wonderful fun shot. Lovely pose from the ranger? Or whatever he is called. And the light was harsh but very well handled here. Gotta mention his smile, warm and inviting. The harsh light has already been mentioned, composition is super, making the horse rather imposing, with colors and sharpness spot on. I’d be interested to learn if you’ve considered/have already converted this to a B/W.

Sealonsf-Horses in Yunnan- Another “beam me up there Scotty” image, rural, calming, and peaceful. Super landscape shot, and like the others mentioned, the horses hold centre attention. Glorious colors allround! And bonus reflections too! Another one for the brochures. Now beam up there, on the double 

Pelto- Some art to old WWII Bunkers – I love this, an excellent documentary shot, with top notes of mystery and a desire to explore, I mean, what’s with the tails? I doubt if a color version of this will be quite as impactful, an appreciable B/W. I like the clouds, adding some notes of somberness that suits WWII history. And then there is the Silhouette effect, and not forgetting the Graffiti that balances the somberness. And in a landscape setting! Superb!

Jacamar – Heavy Pull horses – Amazing image this, so sharp, so detailed I can count all the studs. Beautiful composition and colors. But that peeking eye is what makes this so delightful! Fab shot!

Bruce Clark – Rome – What wonderful drama and history you captured here, the subdued tones and darkness used to highlight the emperor on his bluish horse. My thoughts are immediately of “Chariots of Fire”, Wonderful timing getting the moon in just that spot. Loads of interesting things in this image and the slanted composition adds to the interest!

StephenHampshire –Equine close up – Who has not tried this, one horses or other animals? This one pulled off to great effect, almost abstract. Excellent composition, and details. Beautiful color contrast, and wonderful details, and I must mention that one strand of black hair above the eye- it’s wonderful attention grabbing detail!

JamesNZ- Statue at Capitol Hill – Another night shot, and lovely silhouette, albeit a tad on the dark side, and just enough to make out the shape of the horse. I’d guess the camera would have difficulty in focusing in these conditions. I’d suggest a conversion to B/W, and play with the saturation and lightening it. I’d certainly love to see this, so kudos for a wanderlust inducing image!

Eva- General’s Horse – And another one of those “beam me up there Scotty” images, lovely documentary shot, and like others(I'm pretty sure), a quick Google search on Aung San should be enough to indicate the interest generated. I’ll desist any mention of the modern day Aung San and if there is any genetic connections. But it does bring you smack bang to the current affairs, something imho, that should be, of not patently, then latently, in any image, especially documentary ones. Lovely composition and I’d gather some harsh light present on the day. Super DOF and details. Colors spot on as is the sharpness!

Huntress- “And another thing” – Welcome to PF, and what a superb image to announce your arrival. I had thought of including the human/animal interaction with this challenge, but opted to leave it out for various reasons, one being that I wanted to get the focus on the animal rather than the human. Here that interaction is just wonderful, top notes of intimacy, superb timing, and you got a priceless facial expression of your daughter. Fine balance of part horse part human portraiture! Colors, composition and sharpness spot! And I should mention just how wonderful that bit of backlit hair is, of both hers and the horses.

Well, this has been difficult. So many appreciable images. But only one can be the winner.
1st - aaacb for a wonderful action shot!

And only just pipped to the winning spot is Pelto for an excellent documentary shot!

3rd to Huntress, excellent human animal interaction.

I am happy to award HM’s to all other entries. Well done all!

Views: 1,047
01-14-2019, 06:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for choosing my photo. This was the first and only time I have shot horse racing, and it was lots of fun. Congrats to all others, lovely images.
01-14-2019, 10:34 PM   #3
eva
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the winners aaacb,Pelto and Huntress and all participants.Thanks noelcmn for comenting on each photo and such interesting challenge.
01-14-2019, 11:07 PM   #4

Thank you Noel, for The Nice words and 2nd place and congratulation to the other winners.

01-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great challenge and congratulations to the winners.

Tim
01-15-2019, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to the winner and thanks for the comment Noel. And just in case you want to see them. The wild horses.

Last edited by Vaskebjorn; 01-15-2019 at 08:21 AM.
01-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eva Quote
Congrats to the winners aaacb,Pelto and Huntress and all participants.Thanks noelcmn for comenting on each photo and such interesting challenge.
Couldn't say it better myself.

01-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
Congrats to the winner and thanks for the comment Noel. And just in case you want to see them. The wild horses.
Nice. Very nice! And there always has to be the odd one out hey!
01-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to the winners and the HM's. Appreciate the comments Noel, thanks.
01-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks to Noel for the excellent hosting and to the winners....sorry I posted 3, sometimes, during a bout of insomnia, I will log on to the Forum and review the recent pics. There are some very talented and devoted people in this group and I love the varied techniques and subjects. In that vein and mindset (most likely at 4 a.m. EST), I attached a few equine based photos. Thank you for not giving me the full disqualification. As far as the shot appearing in the morning (vs. PM when it was shot), Noel, it was a very dark sky which opened up soon after.

---------- Post added 01-18-19 at 01:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
This phot of the wild horses reminds me of the few times I traveled to Assateague Island which is connected to the Maryland Coast via a bridge. The horses are descended from a Shipwrecked horse laden craft that crashed against the shore. The present day horses live free on the island and it is now a protected natural area for the horses and the other flora and fauna.