Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners: Weekly Challenge #447 - Centered Composition
Posted By: atupdate, 02-01-2019, 08:56 AM

First the comments. Please be aware that any comments I make regarding changes in your entry are based on my personal taste and are only meant for your consideration. Batteries not included. Some assembly required.

sealonsf: The slightly out of focus on the background water buffalos brings the big guy in the center into prominence. Once my eyes found him they did not want to look any further. Nicely captured.

Hattifnatt: The statue and the people do communicate the same message. Photography wise I would have straightened the image and use a square crop to help emphasize the people.

aaacb: The technique used to capture the waterfall is spotless. I love how the foreground provides strong leading lines to the waterfall. The leaf on the front rock is a nice touch.

SpecialK: Iím not sure if this is a display jet or one at an airshow but it definitely is an eye catcher.

Vaskebjorn: Great colors and the eyes are the perfect focal point. However, the blank space at the top doesnít add anything to the composition. I would have used a square crop to help balance the composition.

VILLAINofOZ: The gull looks like it has a little attitude. The slant of the legs and the angle of the object it is standing on makes it look like the gull landed on a small hill. This works well full frame or as a square crop.

RGlasel: A superb capture. The background provides context. The hands show where the ball came from. The ball looks like it is coming right out of the picture.

ramseybuckeye: Perfect technique on capturing the waterfall. I would have given this a vertical crop; as the amount of rock face overwhelms the waterfall and takes away from the depth between the rock face and the waterfall.

charliezap: Very nice. The blue color of the flower provides a nice background for the bee. The detail captured on the bee and pollen is outstanding.

Bruce Clark: At first I thought this image might benefit from a tighter crop. But when I tried it I almost went cross-eyed. The stem helps bring context to the flower on flower subject. Glad you left it in there.

Photojj: Love the warm lighting and the contrast on this image. The horizontal orientation of the image doesnít provide any perspective on how high up the organ pipes are. Zooming back a little bit might have made this a stronger image.

Asgardian: I can see why the color of this rock caught your attention. The sharpness of the image can easily be corrected in post processing. If you are shooting in jpeg, you might want to bump the sharpness setting in your camera if you havenít done so already. As for the image, it needs a much tighter crop, as the size of the tree overwhelms it.

djb47: interesting subject. This would be a fun one to play around with in post processing to see how many different looks could be achieved. The lighting is a bit uneven but I assume this was not a set-up shot but something you spotted.

jacamar: A very interesting image. The leading lines provided by the background make this unique. A bit more contrast would help give the background a little more depth.

eva: The background helps provide context to the subject and I can almost smell the food booths around the corner. Iím not sure but a vertical orientation when you took this shot might have given the strings controlling the marionette a leading line effect to the image.

mohb: Every time I stay at a hotel I look for an image like this. I have not found one yet. What makes your image work is the hallway divider in the middle add the door at the end of the hallway. Processing this as a black and white works really well.

And now the winners.

1st Place: RGlasel Ė A once in a lifetime capture.

2nd Place: aaacb Ė The rocks bring this into the well above average waterfall shot. Wish I could have shared it in this post.

3rd Place: charliezap Ė Love the color and detail. What more can I say.

Honorable Mention: To many to mention so I wonít. Superb job everyone.

Thanks to all that entered.

Tim
Views: 626
02-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
eva
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the winners and all participants.Thanks for the comments and such interesting challenge.
02-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Tim for the time and effort to host this challenge and providing your comments. I was a little surprised my photo was selected as the winner, there were a number of excellent entries, kudos to you all. I need to give this some thought, but I should have the new challenge up tomorrow (as it turns out, the same high school basketball tournament is running this week).
02-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good challenge Tim, a congrats to the winners!

02-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good winners and thanks for the comments. Suppose I could have selected the background and toned it down a bit.
02-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the second spot, and congratulations to everyone else!
02-02-2019, 03:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats RGlasel, wonderful action shot, worthy winner. And extended to aaacb and Charliezap! Thanks to Atupdate for the challenge and the C&C exercise.