Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread

#461 Inclement Conditions
Posted By: Kerrowdown, 06-18-2019, 02:52 PM

Welcome to Weekly Challenge #461 - Inclement Conditions

My thanks go to sealonsf for the hosting of last weeks challenge and also for picking me as the winner.

We often discuss the sealing and WR qualities of our fine Pentax kit, I think it's now time to show some imagery of conditions that are far less desirable to some other well known camera brands.

I may be a tad bias on this subject, as living in the Highlands of Scotland often offers more than its fair share of such conditions. They can be either colour, B&W or toned images... as long as they convey this weeks theme. Here's a few of examples to get you all started.

The Challenge will run from now until midnight Tuesday 25th June 2019, I'll judge and post results the following day. Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Please enjoy this weeks challenge, photography is supposed to be fun... right.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo.
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-18-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Views: 3,430
06-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
With a lithium battery, probably to -40, although the rear LCD display might not work properly. Another reason for having a camera with an optical viewfinder. I have a beef with you entering this as an example of inclement weather, though, where I come from, -19C (-4F) is decent BBQ weather as long as it isn't too windy.
I thought we might be hearing from you! While I admire your hardiness, -19 is pretty cold for us non-habituated southern Ontarians - and to most of us on this forum I expect!

06-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This was taken on top of Little Round Top at Gettysburg Battlefield park in Pennsylvania, USA. Very famous battle took place there during the American civil war. It was a once-in-a-lifetime trip, and it rained all the first day. The K10D was weatherproof, but the Sigma 17-70mm wasn't, so I had to shoot in between the raindrops.

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 07-04-2019 at 11:30 AM.
06-23-2019, 02:33 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From the Funicular Railway on Mt. Pilatus, Switzerland.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
06-24-2019, 10:35 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's raining, its pouring, the old man is snoring-happy childhood memories, which we sang when it rained. Mom did not appreciate the rain, as it meant all 10 of us were in the house She would sing "Rain, rain, go away, come another washing day".

Last edited by noelcmn; 06-24-2019 at 12:06 PM.
06-24-2019, 12:29 PM - 4 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

Victorians were hardy souls, not much protection from the rain in this locomotive!

06-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #21
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
From the Funicular Railway on Mt. Pilatus, Switzerland.
Ouch!!!! That's more than enough to take the "fun" out of funicular
06-24-2019, 07:20 PM - 4 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Was caught in this storm cell for about two hours as it and I travelled to the south coast.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
06-25-2019, 01:51 PM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Just a few hours left before I raise the Kerrowdown drawbridge and bring this weeks challenge to an end.

Just time for a few more sneaky quick ones to be submitted before the deadline.
06-25-2019, 11:17 PM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
Ok challenge now closed results later.
06-26-2019, 12:45 AM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok firstly many thanks to all who participated and supported this challenge, also to the 931 folk who viewed this weeks challenge.

I hope imagery here has maybe given the more cautious amongst us, to have a go in less than ideal conditions.

Right so to the difficult bit... some very strong imagery was presented here, there's a few which I really liked and would like to give a wee complimentary comment on, just in the order they were posted.

aaacb: "The mountain view"... with what can only be described as a "Black Hole" on the right there. I was reminded of a title from a Ray Bradbury novel, "Something Wicked This Way Comes".

eva: "Wet Eurasian Jay" a bedraggled looking wee bird if ever there was.

charliezap: "Mother Nature putting on a show" and what a show indeed, great timing and saturation in this one, probably in more ways than one.

Vaskebjorn: "One from a wintery day" it looks just like a scene from the "The Shining" movie.

Bruce Clark: "From the Funicular Railway" not sure if this was blustery snow shower or a PP texture effect, either way it works and certainly makes for an interesting image.

StephenHampshire: "rain in this locomotive!"... what a great capture of an absolute deluge, so atmospheric with cold rain and hot steam.

So all that having being said

The winner for me was... Vaskebjorn with "One from a wintery day", I could almost hear the sound deadened silence of the snow fall with this one, apart from the crunching underfoot when you walk.

Runner up... StephenHampshire: "rain in this locomotive!" just so atmospheric.
06-26-2019, 02:32 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Kerrowdown for picking my photo as the winner. To be honest I did not see that one coming . I really liked a lot of the photos in this contest.
Give me a day to get me up to speed with a new contest. I already have an idea, but being on vacation and stupidly enough trying to upgrade my ipad to ipados which went south, i am stuck on my phone till Saturday. So things are a bit more cumbersome.
06-26-2019, 08:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Thanks for the runner's up spot, I am honoured!
06-26-2019, 09:30 AM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
Thanks Kerrowdown for picking my photo as the winner.
Your most welcome, a cracking image IMHO.
06-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #29
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Thanks for the runner's up spot, I am honoured!
I thought you had it the bag there for a while... you were just edged out by snow instead of rain.
06-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #30
eva
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats Vaskebjorn & SteohenHampshire.Thanks for comments,interesting challenge .