Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
#462 - “raining” cats and dogs - winners
Posted By: Vaskebjorn, 07-03-2019, 07:59 AM

A lot of entries in this week’s challenge, you made this a good but difficult contest. You all posted great photos that I really liked and a good number had a good and hearth warming story to join the photo which I enjoyed a lot.

So here is the jury’s verdict .

atupdate : Tim, great photo. Brings back a lot of memories of the kittenphotos i used to take (I think i might have about 60.000 cat photos). Also a good cause you are performing. By the way, I had to look twice as I thought that you submitted a pluche dog photo.

aaacb : this is really beautiful photo, i like the dof and the grittyness in this photo. This one would be hanging on my wall if it were one of my cats .

Hattifnat : really beautiful lady in a really standard cat location. Thay prefer to be as inconvenient as possible in my experience. I like the minimalistic setup of this photo while still giving enough context.

RGlasel : this photo gave me a smile. In my impression Max is looking like, why are we not chasing a ball or a stick or even a cat . I am having a bit of a hard time trying to figure the event or location of this shot. It looks like you are standing on a pier or something like that.

SpecialK : I was thinking I have seen that dog before. It is a photo for true winner. It is just a bit of a shame the dog looks to the side.

nosliwmit : black cats are a challange to get on a photo with all the details in shading. You got this one dialed in very well in my opinion and I guess you only used natural lighting judging the shades. She also got a name fitting her looks .

Fran : Nio lookes really at home. It might have been a journey for him, but the destination was a good one. I like the low light setup of this photo while still maintaining details like the whiskers.

charliezap : I am in doubt if Steve is saying “this seat is reserved for you” or more likely knowing cats “you cannot sit there as I need my space”. You really got him on this photo in all his catness.

DeKay : you got Thor on a good spot. The lighting and the mosquito shield give a really beautiful effect.

djb47 : that must have been some brushing to get her hair look that good. I like how you took this photo from above with her looking at you. Also I think the B&W works rellay good in this photo.

bigoak : an odd-eyed dog. Great catch. The bleu merle Aussie I posted with the “shades” is actually also an odd-eyed lady. You got her expression very well in this photo, patiently waiting on what is going to happen. I would have cropped it a really little bit (more) to take out the first knee, but that is just knit picking.

setitnow : great capture. I like how the eartip is just outside the photo. It gives Murphy some naughtyness, although my cats only sit like that when they want food.

ramseybuckey : I think your Fester is trying to do a ghostly appearance, only the bedsheets are missing . Great close-up of you cat. Is he a Maine Coon bythe way?

sealonsf : good “action” shot of these dog. They seem not to be to impressed by you though. I do not see anu collars on rhem so I assume they are strays, but the look really good. I especially like the red one.

Bruce Clark : you got Bella on the photo with her sad sad eyes. I think you got the essence of this breed very well in this way. They are not sad, only very professional at looking so.

Kerrowdown : I thought I saw a pussycat, oh sorry, I thought I saw a winner. Your photo made me reconsider though ( sorry aaacb) I love this shot. I think you nailed it with composition, the monochrome and also the happy running dog.

noelcmn : this indeed is the fiercest dog I have ever seen . It will let burglars in but they will not be able to leave as she will most likely will demand a lot of petting. I really like this photo, for the dog obviously, but also for the shadow”play” in it.

#1 - Kerrowdown
#2 - aaacb
#3 - DeKay
#4 - Fran

HM - hattifnatt, djb47, bigoak

Super special HM : all of you that do rescuing, adopting or fostering of these beautiful “creatures”.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Views: 351
07-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congratulations to the wonners and HMs.

Thanks for the HM Vaskebjorn. Roger that, she gets brushed every day.
07-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the second place! That I shot on Tmax 400 which i pushed one stop, so you get no shadow detail and the grain congrats to all others, looking forward to the next challenge.
07-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations to the winners and HMs! Great challenge, Richard, we think Fester is part Maine Coon, he looks the part and he's big. But he was a stray that just showed up at a barn and lived at a veterinary office before he took over our house.