Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weekly Challenge #468
Posted By: mattb123, 08-09-2019, 12:26 PM

The topic of this challenge is Plan B.
Have you ever gone out for a specific photo mission only to be shut down by conditions, fences, closures, getting lost, being late, or some other unforseen issue and then gone with some alternative subject or plan and really had it work out well?
I love it when I can return home with something I'm pleased with even if it isn't what I had originally intended.
What have you gotten when out for something else that ended up being the shot of the session?

The Challenge will run from now next Friday night, 16 August 2019. Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo.
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

A few examples

I took this selfie while trying to shoot a meteor shower that never materialized that night.

I went out early for sunrise color and got none. As I was leaving (all packed up and driving down a jeep trail) the sun broke through to reveal this scene.

Went to the Black Canyon and distant forest fires made it so smoky I couldn't get shots of the views I had planned to photograph. But I got this instead.

I got up in the middle of the night for a lunar eclipse that I was never able to see due to cloud cover. Then we had this sunrise.

Last edited by mattb123; 08-09-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Views: 2,140
08-10-2019, 12:43 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went out to take some photos of kingfishers. They decided not to come. Maybe they did not feel like it, maybe it was this guy that I did get. Only disadvantage was that my 300mm f4 was way to short and the 600mm f4 or the f5.6 which I really would love to own are way to expensive (for me).

Ps. Eagles are reasonably rare overhere. There were only 14 breeding couples in the Netherlands in 2018 resulting in 15 young birds that survived. 2019 is not official counted yet. They are actually even more rare the Kingfishers. There were about 1350 breeding couples of them in 2016 being the last official count I could find
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Vaskebjorn; 08-12-2019 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Extra info
08-10-2019, 04:53 AM - 6 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Continuing the theme of unexpected wildlife, I had intended to photograph this late-in-the year train, but unexpectedly startled some roe deer! You can see the exhaust of the train in the background though

Last edited by StephenHampshire; 08-10-2019 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Size of picture
08-10-2019, 01:58 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Being out in the middle of the bush I decided to roll out of the swag early to get some astro shots, as I had a big night in the local pub the night before (only went to bed 2 hours prior), I unzipped the swag and lay there staring at the brilliant sky for a while, then made the move to get up. While having a Berocca to clear my head a bit, the clouds rolled in, so I wandered around the little town a bit. The shot below is plan B

https://flic.kr/p/2gBdkRc

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by Grippy; 08-10-2019 at 02:04 PM.
08-11-2019, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

I was down at Cape Cod Provincetown Ma. and wanted to take a shot of main st. with the traffic.The cop directing traffic had his attention elsewhere.----charliezap
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-11-2019, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I went out for the sunset as usual but it turned out uninteresting, so I ended up with the air force.

08-11-2019, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I went to an open house at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base to get some close-ups of the planes involved in fly-byes. The best pictures didn't have any details of the planes, as the clouds rolled in and the sun started setting.

Tim

08-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was hoping to snap the little girl passing by on the scooter but obviously I was too late to capture that "defining moment". So my Plan "B" was to find something else happening in the shot that seemed interesting and to crop around that.

08-11-2019, 11:02 PM - 6 Likes   #9
Forum Member

I went to Texada island last year to escape the forest fire smoke of the British Columbia interior and capture some ocean views ...Turns out that coast was socked in nearly as bad as the interior. Couldn't see beyond 100 ft . Plan B: throw on a ND filter and make something happen.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-12-2019, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Plan A was not photography but answering a call of nature. On stepping out of our van parked at a property in South Australia, priorities quickly changed.

08-13-2019, 01:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very challenging challenge this is. What I intended to photograph was the reflecting pool and arches in front of Toronto's City Hall, but Nathan Phillips Square was a seething mass of summer visitors. So I turned around and took this picture:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
08-13-2019, 05:22 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

The original plan was to go hiking and take photos of waterfalls and mountains. Nothing worked for three days, but I got this on the way back when we stopped for a break from driving.

08-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Was near the stage at the recent Dead & Co. concert at Citi Field, NYC and wanted to get a full band shot, when I looked up and saw the Jumbo-Tron 'morphing' John Mayer during a guitar solo, I snapped this along the way towards the front.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
D-LUX (Typ 109)  Photo 
08-14-2019, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I was at Forest Lawn, Glendale, memorial park to get some grave marker shots. Taking a breather on the bench in front of the no-photos-allowed Great Mausoleum when this came up:

I was able to substitute the top from this:

To make this final image.

Last edited by SpecialK; 08-14-2019 at 08:11 PM.
08-15-2019, 03:53 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Deep Purple

I just bought a second hand DA15mm and wanting to try it as soon as it arrived, I went to shoot some haystacks. On the way I saw this beetle and was struck by the vivid purple. Funny thing was I had just taken the 35mm Macro off and also the haystacks had gone.

Last edited by PintofDog; 10-28-2019 at 02:42 PM.