Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Project 52, Week 19 - Metal/Texture - Results
Posted By: tpeace, 10-13-2008, 06:33 AM

This was a really good topic to have pulled in such a diverse set of results.

Here's my feedback on each and final selections:

Bigben's Queen Mary 2 Prop:
Great pattern and great perspective, I get a disoriented where the focus drops out.

Jamonation's Rusty Girder:
Great capture of the texture of the rusting surface and the shallow depth of field works on this one as it hides some of the background distractions. This photo really brings back some memories from a summer job I had back in my college days working on a railroad track repair crew. We used to have to loosen these things. We'd soak them in WD-40 for about twenty minutes before even trying.

Xs400's Barbed Wire:
Those blades look shape and nasty! The only thing I don't like about it is that color of the sharp blades in the foreground blends into the background as it overlays the coil underneath. Mutes the effect a bit. I don't know what you were dealing with lining up the shot so it might not have been possible to line them up over the darker background. Maybe if you could have separated them by using a tight lighting on the blade edges in the foreground.

DamnBrit's fence:
Very interesting pattern and the silver color stands out nicely against the green background in the top half of the image. Almost begs you to break out the macro and just go tight in on central pattern.

Mingdie's Nuts and Bolts:
Very nice presentation against the black background. For your commercial purposes, I'd suggect you include a ruler along the side.
A suggestion of something you can play around with on the artistic/creative side - I'd like to see you play around with some bright color lights to see if you could get some interesting effect with the reflected lines on the the round portions of the metal surface.

Mithrandir's - Bundt Pans:
Very creative effect. (What filter did you use?) Conjures up an image of an army charging a castle for me.

Gawan's Rusty Door:
What character! Your tight cropping on just the door leave it to the viewer's imagination to make up their own story regarding its history. I'm really coming around to appreciating how much it helps when you can involve the viewer like this.

DanLoc78's Bike Axle:
I like the perspective and colors. For my taste, I'd have liked to see a little more depth of field across the image.

Kevindt's Wrought-iron Fence
Just a really nice image to sit and look at. Really nice use of the background colors to make the foreground pop out.

Kevindt's Pipes:
Another outstanding image. Just very well done! ( It would have made the final cut if it qualified.)

Eccs19's Metalic Crystals:
It's a really fun image to look at and I love the way it seems to be exploding out at me. I'd like to have seen a little more depth of field to help hold the focus a bit more. Might help me be able to figure out what it is.

And onto the final results... (Insert all the usual disclaimers about judge's lack of qualification here...)

Runner's up:
Kevindt's Wrought-iron Fence

A great one to come back to on rainy days.

Eccs19's Metalic Crystals:

Just fun to look at.

Winner:
Gawan's Rusty Door:

Again this photo really gets me involved making up a history about what this foor leads to and what happened to it.

Congratulations to everyone for making the judging difficult as always!

Regards
-tom

Last edited by tpeace; 10-13-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Views: 2,550
10-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Damn Brit

Well done Georg.
10-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, thanks! Had to read the results twice to be sure I really liked the other entries too, congrats to other winners and runner ups!
10-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nicely done, Georg!

And I love those metal filings on the magnet!

10-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well done to the winners. Tom, thanks for the thoughtful judging.

By the way. I used a quick application of O'Reilly's LR Adventure Solarize curve to get the effect. I just applied it to my own lightroom preset base for the K10D which I have posted on the Forums.

http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2007/03/free_lr_adventure_invert_solar_1.html

Last edited by mithrandir; 10-13-2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Add link