Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
WINNERS- Weekly Challenge #476- Odds and evens.
Posted By: noelcmn, 6 Days Ago

Thank you all that entered the challenge, I am gratified with the submissions, all entries fit the brief in terms of colour and composition making this judging exercise rather difficult, and pushing me towards a subjective choice. I've takes some time out to finalize this challenge.My apologies once again that this is later than anticipated. Here are some thoughts:

Aaacb- Kicking us off and setting the bar high is this wonderful image of a man. Fits the brief, two shoes, two bags, one pole. Rather evocative image, inducing some pity for the man, he seems somewhat lost and at odds. Super composition and colors.

Bruce Clark- Triple redundancy- great shot, and one of those rarities where just about every flower is in focus, and the colors! Just fabulous! And I like the wee bit of panning in the background bokeh!

Vaskebjorn – Goslings – Kudos for your love and protection of nature, those are adorable, high cute factor image, and I like that you have kept the colour of the tar that provides a good background for contrast. Sharp too

Atupdate-Bunk bed- another aaawe image, and I’m familiar with all many of your images of your adorable pups, and this one is one of the best. Excellent composition and colours. I keep thinking that this is worthy to be included in a private calendar collection to share with family and friends. It sure would make a great subject of conversation.

Gump- Mountain goats- besides tickling my inkling for wildlife, I empathise with that feeling of wanting to get closer one of those photographers frustration that happens to all of us. Very nice landscape textures.

Hattifnatt – Swans- Great shot, great timing, and I just love that webbed foot sticking out there. Great too that you have created a contextual image, including some city life, easy to have cropped out that and I am sure it would have been quite bland. And I suspect B/W is probably the right choice for this!

SpecialK-Silos – Fabulous! Sharp, excellent composition with a narrower landscape crop and colours are wonderful!

Merv-O – “odds” – Super reflection shot super citiscape. Two technicalities-one is it is not shot with Pentax-but seeing that this is not a strict competition, or judge for that matter, it is allowed. The other is the dust spots, easy to remove. No issues with colours, composition or sharpness.

RGlasel – Couple- A heart-warming image, words like, contentment, joy and pleasure in each other’s company come to mind, not to mention affection and a warm cuddle alongside a fire. The sociologist in me is quite happy to applaud the happy couple. Nicely composed, lovely moods and colours spot on. And mystery too! What are they doing? Where’s the meat? Or just spending time together- who needs an excuse for that!

Charliezap – Memorial graves – Well yes, despite that I am not American, this is a familiar emotionally charged subject, excellently portrayed with loads of interest. The points of interest are wonderful, each flag differently shaped, reflecting the different persons, and probably their manner of death. Vibrant colours and wonderfully isolated from what I am sure is a memorial gravesite.

Ramseybuckey-Bikers – Excellent shot, great eye for a photographer, beautifully composed, wonderful pop of green, keeping the eye focused on those bikers. Elements of symmetry and textures, along with architecture, leading lines, make for a great multifaceted balanced image!

EssJay- The kiss – Apropos the comments for RGlasel’s image, this one has added flare which is very well balanced in the image. Super details, and that backlighting is wonderful! B/W? I would like to see it in colour, though I suspect the monotone image brings out some elements that would not be quite the same in colour for e.g. that beautiful dress, the checkered shirt. Great shot!

Kerrowdown- Lambs a playing – Fabulous! Man! Those pink ears are to die for! With an echo of it on mom’s wool. What great timing. Either they are very obedient lambs or you paid them lots to get that perfect pose-what with all that alternating faces. Or just sheer luck? Whatever, kudos for seeing this! Wonderful composition, wonderful colours, lovely isolation too, while yet retaining some element of landscape.

SSGGeezer – Birds at the feeder – Another wonderfully timed shot, getting that tail fan and the seed in the beak.. Super colours and composition too! And bokehlicious!

Squideyes – Odd one out – Fabulous landscape shot, well worth looking at this enlarged to absorb all the interesting elements in this. Reflections abound, some action and up there with the best minimalist shots I have seen.

PintofDog- Odd Tractors – The old K20D still delivers! This is a wonderfully composed image, great eye for a photographer, amazing details, none of which is lost in the conversion to B/W. Super interesting shot, just have a look at that sack hanging over that foremost tractor! Well done!

Cipher - One over – Another shot that deserves kudos for timing! And like Kerrowdown- I’m suspicious of just what it is that you did to get them to look at you with such suspicion . Love what you done with PP in this, contrast very well handled. Details are amazing. As are the colours! Some would think this image is a bit too busy, none of which imho distracts from the attention the cats deserve. Nice homely shot too!

Jacamar – Birds – Love the isolation to this, and another deserved kudos for the timing on this! Colours, composition details are all there!

Djb47 – Triples - An excellent macro shot, I’m assuming its’s a shoe. The details are amazing, as are the colours. Dutch angle is useful technique, here used with great impact! Very nice!

Pbancr – Flowers – Beautifully composed image, and selective focus has worked well with the Hoverfly. Delectable bokeh! Well controlled whites, Well done!

BigOak – Montauk- Another great shot, and I like your timing on this one, others would have waited until all the family members were in position with one of those viewers. Not everyone would agree, but I think this is a super action shot with that little one on the move and brother clambering up. Very nice landscape too!

Well this is rather more difficult than expected. As usual there can only be one winner and that goes to Kerrowdown- provided he tells us what he did. Or gave, or bribed those lambs to pose so perfectly.

Second place goes to SpecialK

3rd Spot to Charliezap!

HC’s – aaacb, Atupdate Ramseybuckeye, Cipher! and Squideyes.

Thank you all- Over to you Kerrowdown.

Views: 336
6 Days Ago   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for all the detailed comments, it's great feedback. Congrats to the winners, and thanks for the hm as well.
6 Days Ago   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Kerrowdown, I figured you had this right away since photogenic sheep give an almost unfair advantage, and they are Scottish sheep at that!
Kudos to Kyle and Charlie too.
Great challenge Noel!
6 Days Ago   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A great contest with many worthy entries. I appreciate, as everybody does, detailed comments. Congrats to the winners and looking forward already to the next

6 Days Ago   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I appreciate, as everybody does, detailed comments. Congrats to the winners
I'll second this.
5 Days Ago   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to the winner, the follow-ups and the HM’s
5 Days Ago   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congratulations Kerrowdown,

Well done Kyle and Charlie.

Great challenge Noe, appreciate the comments.

5 Days Ago   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Congrats Kerrowdown, I figured you had this right away since photogenic sheep give an almost unfair advantage, and they are Scottish sheep at that!
Kudos to Kyle and Charlie too.
Great challenge Noel!
Thank you for you kind words, aye they were in my fields about 200 yards from the hoose, so not far to go...

5 Days Ago   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
Congrats to the winner, the follow-ups and the HM’s
Thanks.
5 Days Ago   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by djb47 Quote
Congratulations Kerrowdown,

Well done Kyle and Charlie.

Great challenge Noe, appreciate the comments.

Thank you.
5 Days Ago   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

My thanks to all who offered me congratulations.

I've posted up next weeks challenge, I hope you all find it well... challenging.

#476 - "Minimalistic Imagery" - PentaxForums.com
3 Days Ago   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are welcome. I really liked this challenge. And there were a lot of fantastic entries.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Thanks.