Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
#479: Grimy(Dirty/Muddy/Trashy)
Posted By: fumblin4photos, 12-05-2019, 09:54 PM

Thank you to jchorst for hosting last weeks challenge and for picking me to host this weeks.

For this weeks challenge "Cares Not A Jot" which translated means "Not A Care In The World".

I was very honored to be the winner last week, and I am humbled to be able to choose this weeks challenge, I really look forward to seeing that gets posted.

With the onset of transition from fall into winter, many a wet days and nights turn our streets, playgrounds, hiking trails, and other areas into a muddy and nasty place. The early setting of our sun and the cloud cover present an opportunity for dark and broody picture taking all across the northern hemisphere. Thus, this weeks topic shall be "Grime". If its dirty, trashy, nasty, muddy, soot covered, mired in filth and/sludge or just basically grimy in general, it will qualify. This can be an old grimy sign, or a person or object.

The Challenge will close a week today at midnight (GMT), Thursday 12 December 2019.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo.
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Here is a picture to get things started, taken deep in the Sodo neighborhood in Seattle, one has to wonder what the memories of this police line are.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Views: 695
12-06-2019, 01:04 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
12-06-2019, 04:56 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

What? You want us to wipe our feet before we come inside.

Tim
12-06-2019, 05:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Dirty laundry

12-06-2019, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The geese don't mind, but I wouldn't want to be walking through this field at the same time.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
12-06-2019, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Grunge, Grime And Grain

Well it's got two out of three that fit the theme.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-07-2019, 12:36 AM - 5 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A little stray with a dirty face
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-07-2019, 07:26 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
My 6-year old son having fun on the muddy banks of little creek in France.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-08-2019, 02:58 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Parked on a city street

12-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Taken at a rugged maniac race in NY. Even if you're covered in mud and exhausted, great obstacles are overcame with friends.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-11-2019, 12:38 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Angels with dirty faces??

12-11-2019, 09:39 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lessons in where not to park your car!
12-12-2019, 01:59 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Digging in a pile of muck
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-14-2019, 01:47 AM   #14

Original Poster
Wow, its been extremely tough to pick a winner! Thank you for all of the submissions! While every had pretty good pictures, there are three that really stand out for me.

🤟 3rd Place 🤟 SpecialK - fantastic photo, the missing teeth is a great contrast to the rest of the dirty scene. The textures of the mud(?) around her face makes for a nice pattern in a really great candid shot.

🎷 2nd Place 🎷 Kerrowdown - There is a lot I like about this photo. First off, this needs to be submitted to wall paper apps for phones! The guy at the top of the stairs adds mystery and an element of motion to the entire picture that is very welcoming. As if to say that while it may be a cold dark place, there is still life going on there. Composition-ally, the stairs lead perfectly up to the scene while providing a nice pattern in combination with the stair railing. Really great job with the subtly muted color tones as well.

📸📸 WINNER 📸📸

💯💯💯 StephenHampshire 💯💯💯- I love this picture!! The detail here is fantastic, not just from a focal perspective but composition-ally. This is evidenced by all of the questions that spring to my mind, such as: why is the guy in front have a face so dirty. Who is actually driving the train? What is the man with the dirty face's other arm doing? Where did the guy in the back get his jacket? What are they both so interested in? Regardless, the technicals of this picture are fantastic as well, with everything being perfectly in focus.

Thank you everyone for participating, I will DM StephenHamshire to let him know he is victorious!