Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Now through Friday, December 13
Posted By: Apet-Sure, 12-07-2019, 02:02 PM

NB: VOTE ("like") FOR SOMEONE WHETHER OR NOT YOU ARE AN ENTRANT....!!

Submissions can be in any written form (no video or audio files) — caption, limerick, motivational, poem or prose — whatever inspires you to describe the photo or catch attention. Submit by replying to the thread. Contestants may submit more than one entry but it must be in a separate post. Important: Even if you do not submit an entry, please “like” any posts you feel deserve it as this is how the winner is chosen. And if you DO submit an entry, please also find an entry that you like from among your competitors' efforts and "like" that one as well.

The "thread starter" is the moderator and must post an original photo at the start of the thread. In case of a tie the moderator will choose one to break the tie. After determination of the contest's winner, that winner will be notified by the current Thread Starter/Contest Host and will become responsible for posting the next original work to be captioned. Enter often, vote more often. and most important: Have fun !

Contest ends at midnight US EST. December 13.

Read more at: CAPTION CONTEST Now through December 6, 2019 - PentaxForums.com

Here's this week's image. Have fun!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 2,421
12-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Great start! As this week's moderator, I've decided not to vote, but some of these made me laugh out loud.
I seem to remember (weasel words) that the rules at one time said moderator was not supposed to vote. It may have been a different contest or perhaps it got lost in the cutting and pasting week to week. Maybe some of the graybeards here remember.

12-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I actually do have a gray beard. But I don't know what the official policy is. It makes sense to me that the moderator would stay neutral though.
12-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Great start! As this week's moderator, I've decided not to vote, but some of these made me laugh out loud.
QuoteQuote:
In case of a tie the moderator will choose one to break the tie
Read more at: Now through Friday, December 13 - PentaxForums.com

so the moderator does not vote unless and until there is a tie at the end of the contest

and then the moderator breaks the tie
12-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #19
MSL
Pentaxian

Absolute correct and @aslyfox has also flagged a discussion on this, but I also believe a moderator can vote or note which entries made him/her laugh after the contest has closed for the week (inquiring minds want to know!)

12-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So the moderator only gets one vote, and then only if needed to break a tie. Makes perfect sense. If I weren't moderating, there are some entries above I would vote for (but I won't say which).
Keep 'em coming.
12-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if the moderator ( in this case the OP of the thread ) indicates his/her favorite (s ) after the winner has been determined

there is no effect on the contest

except the feelings hurt by a poster not so " liked "

the key is for the moderator not to affect the voting by " liking " a post while the contest is ongoing

IMHO, YMMV
12-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #22
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
except the feelings hurt by a poster not so " liked "
I've entered enough of these where my caption got zero likes which can be frustrating, but I'd never get upset by the OP flagging which ones he/she found funny. I'd probably then scroll up to see if I missed any good ones while the contest was open.

12-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
When the contest is over, I'll do the honorable thing and not mention any 'honorable mentions'. How's that?
12-09-2019, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who the HECK keeps knocking!
12-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When the contest is over, I'll do the honorable thing and not mention any 'honorable mentions'. How's that?
My point was that i thought I remembered a "rule." Frankly what difference does it make if a moderator voted? This would not influence my "like" "likes" unless it was aslyfox (just kidding).
12-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery
"Sure, you can use the radial filter in Lightroom to make me stand out from my hole. But if you want bright colors, you are going to have to use Photoshop or wait for Mr. Look-at-me-I'm-so-pretty to get back from hanging out with his buddies. He will probably just show you his feathered butt though, because he thinks his tail is ALL that. If you see him, the kids are waiting for dinner! Just waiting..."
12-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
My point was that i thought I remembered a "rule." Frankly what difference does it make if a moderator voted? This would not influence my "like" "likes" unless it was aslyfox (just kidding).
Probably, creator of this contest voting rules useed U.S. Constitution as a precedent: "The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided" (U.S. Constitution, Article I, section 3).
12-11-2019, 09:42 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"a bird in a box is worth .... nothing"
12-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Congratulations to bertwert for winning this caption contest with 4 likes. Thanks to all who participated.
12-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Congratulations to bertwert for winning this caption contest with 4 likes. Thanks to all who participated.
Cheers! I'll get the next one up ASAP.