Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
CHALLENGE # 486. Paying Homage to your Ghosts
Posted By: gump, 02-08-2020, 08:58 AM

Every individual retains life experiences the strongest of these are your "ghosts". Good or bad you recognize these and I will assume they are part of you photography. Present your ghosts with as little or as much written description as you think necessary. Note: As a judge I am not technical. I probably will not see "imperfections" in a photo. This does not mean I cannot understand composition and light but what will succeed is a subjective "feeling" in the image. The example are ghosts from growing up in a railroad family, Canyon de Chelly homage to Edward Curtis whose work I find very compelling, and John Ford Point in Monument Valley. His films draw me in although i have seen some a hundred times.

This Challenge ends February 15, 2020 12:00 (Midnight) US Eastern Standard Time.

The fine print:
Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax/Ricoh (DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge

Read more at: Weekly challenge #485 -- Intimate Landscape - PentaxForums.com

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 528
02-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This photo is taken in Tunisia, my second home country as I like to call it. In 2015 there was a terroristic attack on the beach where my wife and I were supposed to be that day. Due to circumstances we had to go somewhere else. This photo is 6 months later and all the tourists/foreigners have left the country except for a handful. I never stopped going, but these trains are a stark reminder of what happened as they are waiting for the tourists that do not come. The economy, especially in the hotel areas, was completely wiped out. Fortunately we see an improvement now, albeit slow.

02-08-2020, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unfilled columbarium, Ft Rosecrans.
02-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Part because of the subject matter, part because of the camera. I used a Ricoh GR Digital which I got a few months ago. It's a camera from 2005, a time when I was discovering photography during the transition to college, so it's interesting to me to now use a camera from those years.

02-09-2020, 05:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Discharge day after my last of four surgeries related to colon cancer. Please get a colonoscopy if you reach that magic age like me. It could save your life.

Tim
02-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
I probably will not see "imperfections" in a photo
I'm counting on this being the case. Shot with a P3N and Tokina ATX 28-70 f3.5 late summer of 1997 on Kodak slide film, either Elitechrome or Ektachrome. Scanned in Kodak PhotoCD format in 1998. We had recently moved to Prince George, B.C., bringing the old fibreglass canoe with us and my daughter was about to start Kindergarten. Her "big" brother is 13 months younger.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
6 Days Ago   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
sweat in training to prevent bleeding in combat
Attached Images

4 Days Ago   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I will skip the usual banalities and weasel words and get to it. All of the photos are winners. I am 73 and can identify with almost all, if not all, of what is presented. I sincerely appreciate it.

Vaskebjorn, We too have special places, second homes, and can understand how having that removed can be troubling. I think the monochrome and lack of people supports the story very well.

SpecialK and big oak. I put these together as they are a "gut-punch" and wonderfully dramatic while being opposites in terms of silence and noise (in the common sense). Without words they easily relate a story.

aaacb. I grew up near Chicago and can easily fit myself into the scene. I could tell you stories. . . .

atupdate. Having spent six weeks in that position I don't need to be reminded but you are spot on in doing so. I understand.

RGlasel. I did not have to look close to scream "Don't drag your paddle." But of course that was not the photo. I did look close and (I saw) the child just on the edge of a smile that would light up everything. It is one of those timing things that are usually just luck.

To choose one photo as "best represents the theme" is, of course, impossible as each is its own story. I am going with Vaskebjorn as I am drawn to the photo/theme being understated requiring time to appreciate. I was apprehensive to go with theme that was somewhat out of the ordinary. I appreciate the effort of everyone. Please post personal thoughts on the photos.

Vaskebjorn, give us a challenge.

3 Days Ago   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for choosing my photo. Tough choice i think as there were a lot of different “stories”

The new challenge is up.
3 Days Ago   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
I did not have to look close to scream "Don't drag your paddle."
That's funny, your comment triggered a vivid memory: my son was worried that we were going to run aground because I had stopped paddling (to take the picture) and we were drifting out of control Thanks for your thoughtful comments and for hosting this challenge. Congratulations to Vaskebjorn and I'll start looking at my weather related photos.