Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners - Challenge #487 : weather
Posted By: Vaskebjorn, 02-23-2020, 10:45 PM

That was a good week in photos, there were a lot of good ones and that did not make the judging any easier. Everyone had more or lesa different take on the topic which I really like. Well fortunately I had a third storm in three weeks to (pre)judge the photos. Below some comments on all the photos. I’am not a technical specs guy, like the previous challenger, so no technical comments but more content related.

Gump : nice dark shot of the plains. I really like the sunrays. It makes the day a bit more inviting than just the gloomy clouds.

aaacb : I really like your take on this theme. It looks a bit like a part of a trainstation on a really autumnal day with just the reflection of a woman with her umbrella coming down the stairs. Great detail in a minimalistic photo.

RGlasel : I hear you, snow itslef is not that hard but a blowing snow or something the like is way harder to get. But you got it anway. Around the ThyssenKrupp car its really visible. This would be a day for me that I would preferably spend in a nicely heated room and not in a car.

atupdate : A nice catch. This heron is standing there with an expression that is somewhere between “I have a cold foot” and “I just wait until the water thaws and I can get that fish”.

charliezap : i really like these strom waves breaking on the coast photos. I have not seen some of these in real live yet unfortunately. So your photo certainly makes the cut . I also like the detail of the little green house. Must be somewhat uncomfortable living there on these kind of stormy days.

hattifnatt : this one could be straight out of a sci-fi movie. These clouds are impressive. The accompanying lightning only adds to the dramatic photo. Location also helps of course .

bigoak : great photo with the contrast between the houses and the sky in the evening on Brattle road. Most of the time you only have a very short period of time for these skys. But you got out in time

SpecialK : good capture of a full moon with these nice “storm” clouds. I would most likely pull out the 300 for the moon. Instead you choose for a wide angle which suits the photo.

ramseybuckeye : in my opinion you found a new mistery title for discovery or one of these channels. It has a “oak island” or one of these paranormal series vibes to it. Great photo. Oh, and in the alphabet challange you could totally claim the Z with this photo.

Kerrowdown : great photo, only one thing missing in this photo. But someday you might get Nessy in front of your Pentax.

noelcm : that is some cloud formation. Looks like some bad weather with a hint of a nice day in the distance. Seems like you had a reasonably high vantage point. Or were you a bit distracted and had your head in the clouds.

rod_grant : that indeed is some serious incoing weather. I would be staying inside the house. I like the colorsetting in this photo a lot, nice deep blue.

3rd : Kerrowdown
2nd : aaacb
1st : charliezap

HM : hattifnat, bigoak, noelcm

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 887
02-23-2020, 11:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well done, Charlie. (and the rest of you!)
And a good challenge and well adjudicated, Vaskebjorn.
02-24-2020, 01:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't beat that shot! What drama! Congrats Charlie, superb photo! And extended to aaacb and kerrowdown And my fellow HM hattifnat and bigoak. Nice challenge, so a vote of thanks to Vaskebjorn!
02-24-2020, 06:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once again I'm honored to be hosting the Weekly Challenge.I'll try to have the new challenge up today or tomorrow at the latest.--charliezap

02-24-2020, 09:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Charlie, hard to beat that picture! extended to the other winners and many thanks to the host.
02-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks for the second place! Those stairs going down to the subway, your guess was very close
02-24-2020, 09:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Charlie, that is a superb photo!