Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners #492 - New Life
Posted By: RGlasel, 04-09-2020, 04:22 PM

I was hoping to see creative perspectives on the theme of this week's challenge and I was certainly not disappointed. Thank you so much to everyone who entered, it was an excellent brood of photos, all quite appropriate to the theme of finding hope in new life. This wasn't a technique oriented challenge, so I won't try to judge based on composition, colour or lighting or anything like that. After much hemming and hawing, I selected the three photos I personally found the most striking, but I could have selected a dozen honourable mentions and I suspect that others would select different photos as their top three, for equally valid reasons..

1st goes to Sakura, for a photo of three newly hatched sea gulls. I strongly dislike sea gulls, they are rats with wings in my opinion, but this photo struck me with how vulnerable and out of their element these chicks are. Regardless of how things turned out for these three birds, the photo shows how fragile life is.

2nd goes to noelcmn for a photo of a vivid green plant sprouting out of what looks to me like black granite. I really like how the light shows up the veins in the leaves, giving a sense of a living, breathing organism.

3rd goes to SpecialK for the fisheye photo of a mushroom popping up from the grass in a cemetery. Here we have a fungus, which doesn't photosynthesize like the green grass surrounding it, but draws nutrients from dead and decaying organic matter, in a cemetery, which is designed to accommodate dead human organisms.

Views: 436
04-09-2020, 07:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats to Sakura, Noel, and Kyle, all three are great photos, I'm glad I didn't have to pick. Excellent challenge!
04-10-2020, 02:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Sakura, wonderful winning image, worthy winner imho. And extended to SpecialK, beautiful comp and use of the Fisheye. And I am honored to be on the podium, in what I thought was a very competitive challenge. So many excellent images here. Thanks RGlasel, for the challenge and the judging exercise.
04-10-2020, 06:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to 1 and 2, and thanks for 3rd.