Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
POTW #595 - Covering Period 27 April through 10 May
Posted By: nosliwmit, 05-04-2020, 06:28 PM

Well, we managed to skip a week...

Welcome to the 595th edition of Picture of the Week (POTW), covering period 27 April through 10 May 2020. Let's see what you have been shooting these past two weeks. POTW is a great spot to show off six or fewer shots you take or are editing within the thread's date range. In other words, you can post your shots from this week AND last 2 weeks.

To post your great photos, just hit reply and attach away. Feel free to start immediately.

Please:

• consider including in your post any special circumstances or tips on technique or equipment which might be interesting to others.

• identify your camera and lens if that information is easily available to you.

And please invite other Pentaxians to join us.

Some rules:
1) No theme, just post your favorite pix
2) Six or fewer images per person per thread to prevent thread bloat
3) Any Pentax, Ricoh or Samsung camera, film or digital

The current host will invite a new host via Private Message (PM), but if you are interested and willing to host POTW, please send me a PM, before I contact others.

If possible, the new thread will be linked to the previous one. If the thread doesn't start, please contact the host, via PM. Here are the records of recent POTW thread hosts: 390-406 smf, 407-408 ramseybuckeye, 409-411 stubyles, 412-423 SD_Bob, 424-427 dave kitson, 428-451 smf, 452-454 StephenHampshire, 455 Aslyfox, 456 StephenHampshire, 457-466 noelcmn, 467 Aslyfox, 469-470 aaacb, 471-472 Madmathmind, 473 Eva, 474 rjbrett, 475 Aslyfox, 476 - 485 noelcmn, 486 - 488 rjbrett, 489 clackers, 490 - 498 rjbrett, 499 StephenHampshire, 500 smf, 501 StephenHampshire, 502-505 Eva, 506-525 Vaskebjorn, 526-538 noelcmn, 539-547 aaacb, 548-563 Eva, 564-571 noelcmn, 572-579 nosliwmit, 580-587 aaacb, 588 noelcmn, 589-590 nosliwmit, 591-593 Eva, 594 nosliwmit

Read more at POTW #594

---------- Post added 05-04-20 at 08:33 PM ----------

Here's my contribution for the week...

On the island of Cheung Chau:

Fishermen off Lantau Island:

Unidentified beetle on a fence near my house:

Green lacewing eggs (I think). They're really tiny and evidently they have to be separated or the young will eat each other!:

Last edited by nosliwmit; 05-04-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Views: 929
05-05-2020, 12:10 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nosliwmit- I'm voting you the most terrible Forumite feeding the wunderlust like this. Not that I can do that- the Rates of Exchange between our South African Rand and the $, € and £ has gone through the roof and I will need a lot more moolah for any travelling. Not one can do it with all the restrictions on international travel these days. In any event, just love that Fishermen shot! I'm not holding anything against you, for now at any rate. I'll just contribute.
The moon has been unusually bright of late

I'm trying to avoid ending up like this

This large Moth came into the kitchen as I was cooking Thai Green Curry.

Lots of these fellows in the garden at the moment, to feed on some plant leaves

And also these fellows

Bridge over a small canal not too far from where I live.

And my favorite medium- macro
05-06-2020, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
After two months of lockdown, here's what I've got:
1. Gashed tire--on top of everything else
2 Selfie with mask and lack of haircut
3. Shoe pile violating the proximity rules
4. Keeping the pantry stocked with essentials
5. Howard; probably the only member of our family happy to be quarantined.
I wish everyone god speed and safety. Nosilwitt thanks for posting some excellent photos, Noel: as usual your macro work is tremendous....I'll bring up the rear with my boring lockdown pics....Cheers.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
LEICA CL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
M8 Digital Camera  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
LEICA SL (Typ 601)  Photo 
05-07-2020, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Nosliwmit for hosting.

I hope everyone who posts in POTW is doing well.

I have been absent from POTW for quite awhile. I am pleased to return with some of the photos I captured when a hawk visited our backyard. We did not see it bathing in the standing water or going after prey. The hawk was standing in this spot when we returned home from a walk, and that's where it remained until it flew away. This is only the second time we have seen a hawk in our backyard during the almost 41 years we have lived in this house in Midland, Michigan.

I used an RMC Tokina 500mm mirror lens on a monopod-mounted Pentax K-S2. I shot through the glass of a sliding door.

Comments and criticism are welcome. Please send a PM if you prefer doing so instead of commenting in this thread.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
05-07-2020, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
I'm trying to avoid ending up like this
With the same goal in mind

Short walks around the block

and from bike rides and walks in the woods

05-07-2020, 09:12 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After moving I'm starting to catch up and get things organized, nd have had a little time to walk about the yard and a little farther. There is a pond across the street and a woods in the back so all of these were taken within 100 yards of the house.

As I walked around to the front of the house form the back yard I saw this Midland Painted Turtle on the road in front of the house. I went out and made sure the turtle got safely across. I've heard you should never take them back in the opposite direction that they are going, because they will just turn around and continue. This turtle may have been leaving the pond because of the water conditions or food supply. This is a good sized painted turtle:

Just a bit before I saw the turtle, I was working in the backyard and heard a couple of hawks, they were flying around, I went in to get the camera, came back out, thought I missed them, but then they flew back again, now there were four of them. I identified them as broad-winged hawks, and I did not know they were migratory, which explains why they were together:

I've seen a couple of common buckeyes the last few days:

Brown Thrasher:

America Green Tree Frog on the front porch:

My first ever sighting of Broadhead Skinks, a male and a female basking in the sunshine at the edge of the woods:
male:

female:

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 05-07-2020 at 09:29 PM.
05-10-2020, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for a fantastic POTW! I'll try to get the next one started shortly.

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
I'll just contribute.The moon has been unusually bright of late
Fabulous moon shot! And I love your flower photo too. The moon was amazing in Hong Kong this weekend. Huge and orange..

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
After two months of lockdown, here's what I've got
The tire hurts to look at! What on earth did that kind of damage? Howard's a good-looking dude!

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
This is only the second time we have seen a hawk in our backyard
Very nice! Looks like maybe a young one... I hope you see a third soon!

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Short walks around the block
Some definite signs of spring there!

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
all of these were taken within 100 yards of the house
Looks like you'll have a lot of nice wildlife photos! I got some photos of a tree frog a few nights ago that I may post on the next POTW...

05-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
The tire hurts to look at! What on earth did that kind of damage? Howard's a good-looking dude!
The tire was a result of a deep rut struck at night (my car has run flats so the outer rubber did not crush the inner Kevlar sidewall)....and yes, Howard is the man. Thank you for the comments and for hosting.