Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weekly challenge #496 - museum pieces.
Posted By: rod_grant, 05-16-2020, 05:13 AM

I am looking for images of items on display in museums.
I am looking for historical significance, and would love to know which museum and the date of the item (but that is optional!!)

This challenge will close at 18:00hrs on Sunday May 24th - AEST (UCT +10)
The fine print:
Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax/Ricoh (DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge

Read more at: Weekly Challenge #491 - Isolation - PentaxForums.com

To be honest to my wanting some info for each image, I better be nice too...
1. Wooden water pipe, Sydney 1792, National Museum, Canberra.
2. Wheat stripper, 1900, National Museum, Canberra
3. Treadle wood lathe, date unknown, private museum in Huon Valley, Tasmania.
4. FJ Holden, 1954, National Museum, Canberra.

Views: 1,547
05-16-2020, 06:04 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ford Model T circa 1919. Reportedly the first Fire Engine in Burra South Australia. In the local mining museum.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
05-16-2020, 06:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
A good start Bruce
05-16-2020, 07:00 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Milking equipment from the Graham dairy farm on display at the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte, NC. Incorporated in 1932 the dairy still operates today in Moore Haven, FL.

05-16-2020, 01:02 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have Hadrianus in my collection. The original is in the Museum in Sousse, Tunisia.

05-16-2020, 06:22 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Glad it's from any timeframe.

I used to ditch school and wander the field museum in Chicago fairly often when I was younger. Had a chance to revisit a couple years ago.

This is one of the several totem poles in the museum. I'm a fan of Haida art and have always enjoyed their symbolism.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-17-2020, 03:53 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Carriage Hill MetroPark - inside the house of a working historical farm from the 1880's.

Tim

05-17-2020, 01:37 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

The General George S. Patton Memorial Museum, in Chiriaco Summit, California, was erected in tribute to General George S. Patton on the site of the entrance of Camp Young, part of the Desert Training Center of World War II. It includes a large collection of tanks, memorabilia from Patton's life and career, plus Colorado River Aqueduct and natural-science exhibits. Though Patton spent less than four months at the Desert Training Center, his establishment of the training grounds directly impacted more than one million troops. Camp Young was the headquarters for General Patton's 3rd Armored Division, and was the main maneuvers area for tank warfare training. The desert location was chosen for its terrain which was similar to that in North Africa.

During WWII, Patton famously battled across North Africa, then crossed Sicily and continued into Italy. Shortly after the war, he was on the way to a pheasant-hunting trip in Germany when his car collided with an American army truck at low speed. Other occupants were only slightly injured, but Patton hit his head on the glass partition in the back seat. Complaining that he was paralyzed and having trouble breathing, Patton was diagnosed with a compression fracture and dislocation of two vertebrae, resulting in a broken neck and spinal cord injury. Patton spent most of the next 12 days in spinal traction to decrease the pressure on his spine, at one point saying, "This is a hell of a way to die." He died in his sleep of pulmonary edema and congestive heart failure on December 21, 1945.

05-17-2020, 05:49 PM - 5 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Convair B-36J Peacemaker at he Museum, of the US Air Force, Dayton, Ohio. This is the largest indoor museum object I've ever seen. The B-36 was developed during World War II when the Army Air Force wanted a bomber capable of carrying nuclear weapons to other continents. It was controversial but it was funded and cost enough that some called it the"billion-dollar blunder". It wasn't fielded until after the war and was only in service from 1946-1959, replaced by the B-52. These planes were used only by the Strategic Air Command, and were never used in any combat, just the Cold War. However during the time they were used a lot of experiments were carried out with them. There were 384 of these behemoths built supposedly at a cost of over four million each (in 1946-54 dollars). All but five were scrapped, the five went to various museums. "Making the last B-36 flight ever, the aircraft on display flew to the museum from Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz., on April 30, 1959. " - Museum of the United States Air Force

If you ever get the chance to visit this museum, go, it's by far the best museum I've ever been to.

05-18-2020, 11:20 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Almost all my museum photos are pre-Pentax and it is a bit of a problem going to a museum at the present time. I may be pushing the envelope a bit but I thought I would use one of my own artifacts. This is a military issue compass that cursory research suggest was used in both World Wars. I am attracted to its simplicity and functionality.

Last edited by gump; 08-01-2020 at 04:01 AM.
05-18-2020, 01:00 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A working replica of the "Bombe" decription device developed by Alan Turing and others at Bletchley Park, UK during WWII to decode messages from the German Enigma machine. The ability to decript the Enigma messages is reputed to have significantly reduced the duration of the war.

Bletchley Park Museum, now relocated to the National Museum of Computing, also at Bletchley Park.
05-19-2020, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter

This is the real deal.

Artifact hunters are happy when they find an Indian arrow head.This is an Indian ax.It is a big heavy piece and from what I'm told by historians that I have showed it to it could date back 1000's of years.It was most likely used for construction purposes way back when.It was found decades ago by one of my wife's relatives and has been at our home for a long time.Where it was found was not to far from the Saugus River where Indians had settlements near the water.Down the street from me there is a National Park Site--The Saugus Iron Works founded in the 1600's and rebuilt in the 1950's and when they were excavating to rebuild the site many Indian artifacts were found including a piece like ours.--charliezap
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
05-19-2020, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fort Michlimackinac, Mackinaw City, MI. Inside one of the restored buildings. I suspect that some of the items are reproductions and others are genuine antiques. Originally French, the Fort was transferred to the British in 1761 at the end of the French and Indian War. The British then closed and burned the Fort, removing anything usable to Mackinac Island. At the end of the Revolutionary War (or War for Independence - depending on how one feels about it), the fledgling United States acceded to ownership of Mackinac Island, lost it briefly in the 1812 war, and regained the Island via the Treaty of Ghent. So not a traditional museum as such, but steeped in the history of the early United States, its predecessors and the early exploration of the Upper Great Lakes region.

K-70, DA 16-85, F8, ISO 800, 1/6 sec.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
05-19-2020, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Isabella Gardner Museum
05-19-2020, 07:12 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The World Museum of Mining in Butte, Montana contains much of the Orphan Girl Mine including these elevator cages, which are just big enough for one ore cart or 6-7 miners (squeezed in cheek to jowl, no social distancing allowed). From the deepest workings 2700 feet below ground to the surface was about a 15 minute trip and apparently the record is 12 passengers (miners who wanted to get home quicker when they finished their shift).

An incredible amount of natural beauty can be found within the State of Montana, but none of it within Butte city limits.(No offence to the many fine people who call Butte home). If you ever find yourself in Butte, this museum is a must see.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo