Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
P52-9-18 Subject: Clouds
Posted By: Tsukiouji, 06-21-2020, 03:53 PM

For the next week's theme — a timeless P52 classic — Clouds.

Tips and references:
How to Take Great Photos of Clouds by Chad Verzosa

Photos for the Week #18 competition are to be taken between Jun 22, 2020 and Jun 28, 2020

Rules:
1. Anyone and everyone who is interested in eligible. The goal continues to be
have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques with fellow
Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-5 thread for the week. Explain what
motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color
saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed.
Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot, Medium Format, et cetera. But no phones, please.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post
black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is
active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable.
Views: 632
06-26-2020, 03:36 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I skimmed through the article on shooting clouds before I went out shooting last night. My plan was for sunset time, so I hoped there would be some clouds, it had rained hard earlier, but was cleared off from rain clouds. I went to an area of beach on an Island that I had not been to before so I arrived well before sunset to scout a little, and it was a 20-30 minute hike from my truck to get there. There were not many clouds in the direction of sunset, but there were some low cirrus clouds, I had got lucky as they are one of the best for the blue hour. This photo is my favorite for the clouds. I normally only shoot in raw, but I've been doing a little shooting with raw plus to see what the KP can do with HDR. This was shot with HDR and is the camera produced jpeg, it's better than I could get it in Lightroom using the raw file, at least without spending a lot of time, I had about four or five images like that, which were all shot in HDR Adv. Anyway, this is with the HD PENTAX-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited at 31mm, F8, ISO 100, 15 second exposure, no ND filter was needed. I was a little surprised the grasses aren't moving for 45 seconds, pretty unusual at the beach, but the stillness was noticeable, but the wind picked on my walk to the truck, especially closer to the water.
06-27-2020, 11:19 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
06-27-2020, 07:35 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did some experimenting with colour processing.

06-28-2020, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This week has been either clear blue or overcast skies. Got this break a few minutes ago. Not much of a composition but it fits the theme for this week. The sky has again gone overcast here. K100D/Kit 18-55

07-01-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In case there are any other entries on the way, I'll wait until Friday to pick a winner. The three entries that I didn't post are excellent, but there is always room for more!
07-03-2020, 03:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Friday is here, so here are my comments on the other entries( going backwards in time posted):
djb47: Actually, I think the pointing upward perspective is an interesting composition and including the treetops is what makes it work.
noelcmn: great contrast between the bright, sunlit edges of the clouds and the much darker "underbelly," the two birds add an interesting element to what would be a photo of nothing but clouds.
ramseybuckeye: there are too many subtle features for this to be an HDR image. Where are the loud, oversaturated colours? You did well to capture the wispy nature of the clouds in the dying light, with the beach grasses standing against the sky in clear definition and hints of the windswept sand dunes subtly/barely illuminated in the foreground.

All three entries are more than worthy, but I have to pick one, so I will pick ramseybuckeye's Twilight on the Dunes. Over to you, Tom.

Last edited by RGlasel; 07-03-2020 at 03:24 PM.
07-04-2020, 04:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Tom. That's a great image.

Well done Noel and RG.

07-04-2020, 05:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Tom, agreed, worthy winner, fab shot!
07-05-2020, 05:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Good job everyone!