Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WINNERS - Challenge #502- Go Green
Posted By: noelcmn, 07-13-2020, 01:20 AM

Thank you all for your entries, I am amply satisfied with all the greenery I am seeing, and it certainly impacted on the mood, what with all the dull brown landscape around here in the southern hemisphere. Here are some thoughts on the entries:

Vaskebjorn- Leaves with droplets -getting us off to a high standard with this submission, a beautiful shot of drops on some leaves. Super composition, focus spot on, and the colors are just fabulous. A hint of some back lighting adds some lovely lighting. Drops are always a winner in my book, but can be difficult to capture correctly, as has been done here. Well worth that 0.001 km hike.

Gump- Once upon a time there were canals- Fabulous shot, kind of shot that makes me wish I was there and breathe in all that atmosphere in this image. Great storyline to this too, and man that greenery is just wonderful. Super composition.

Aaacb-forest greenery- Another kind of shot that makes me wish I was there. Lovely notes of eeriness, mist, palpable silence and mystery combine to make a very pleasant scene. I like that you included that fallen tree in the foreground. Great shot!

SpecialK-Fishing near Rock Creek, Oregon- I am tempted to say-“go away you horrible man”:, we are in lockdown. I am waiting impatiently to get out there in the mountains and creeks. Still, this image keeps hope alive for better days. Beautifully composed, and so much for the eye to explore. That raging waters adds some drama. Green trees, shrubbery, moss and water – it’s satisfactorily green for me!

Kerrowdown-Woods- Considering I am a great fan of JRR Tolkien, I’m pretty sure this is right out of the land of Lothlorien, with all it’s beautiful shades of green that oozes out of this image. Just love the contrasts between the light and dark. I’m not the most adventurous person in the world, but boy, I’d love to be climbing that hill and meet whatever is beyond those trees. Stunning evocative image! Btw, well worth looking at this enlarged.

Atupdate- Cambell’s Tomato Soup. LOL- Green Tomato soup with fried Green Tomatoes! My Dr would be making a fortune, as tomatoes affect my stomach juices negatively. I think I can safely say I have seen all your color variations of this image , all of them wonderful, and I’ve been impressed with your PP Skills. So sharp, top notch creativity here, with that lid retaining its original color, Lovely shades of green too!

RGlasel-Backyard-I was hoping that we would get an image from a garden, which for me, despite the greenery offered by nature, represents human creativity, Thank you for submitting this private view of your garden, its a lovely homely view, complete with shadows and picket fence. Looks very neat and well kept too. Need I say it, some envy has crept in here, as my garden, as well as that of our little church (I live in the manse next door) is looking ever so drab, with only black jacks everywhere. I like it!

BigOaks-Green lakes state park, NY-on my bucket list is NY, of which I have read quite a bit about, (and my son lived there for a while too) and parts of me cannot believe that there are such beautiful places in that place, so full of buildings and people. This adds to my knowledge and desire. All the elements of photography is here-beautiful composition, reflections, flare, texture, water, landscape, blue sky and trees! Another one of those “beam me up there Scotty”!

Hattifnatt-Museum of Country Life (Castlebar, Ireland)- Well now, a green challenge would not be complete without the Irish hey! . Stunning image, fit for a travel brochure or postcard. Glorious reflections, so detailed it is too. Who would not want to climb those stairs, with a frequent backward look just to imbibe the beauty of the place! I’d even be tempted to wet my toes in that water- but that is pushing it a bit.

Bruce Clark- Green Spiral- my favorite medium is macro, and I am not disappointed with this one-stunning composition, and man that palpable texture. Repetition gets a good boost, as does the shades of green. Fantastic details. Nature’s masterpieces presented ever so well!

Ramseybuckeye-Conkles Hollow – How many of these have I seen on the Forum- stopped counting, and just admire all the angles that you’ve presented and I appreciate the conundrum you’ve mentioned. It is indeed a beautiful place, and like Kerrowdown’s image, takes me right into the LoTR, In my younger days, I loved exploring places like this, crawling around and just appreciating the beauty that nature has on offer. So, should I hold it against you fro reminding me I am getting old? Or appreciate the memories that stirred? In any event, just love the atmosphere of this image, another “beam up there Scotty-on the double!

Pelto-A Pale Green Weevil- Phew, what a fabulous macro shot. Focus spot on, composition spot on! Details Spot on (I can count the hairs of it’s moustache and beard) For a macro shot, you’ve got amazing DOF to this! Not unexpected considering you used the D-FA 100mm Macro lens. Just remember me in your will when it comes to that lens.

This has not been easy, should I toss a coin? I’ve got work to do and places to go- so here we go:

1. Kerrowdown-even if he is not Irish (Scottish I believe-and he may just be able to beam up there) Beautiful light and composition win this
for me.
2. Hattifnatt-a very close 2nd spot-just an awesome shot!
3. Pelto-despite that I may have a nightmare from viewing that image, it’s a wonderful macro shot!

Happy to give all the others a HM, with a special mention to RGlasel. Thank you all. Over to you Scotty!
Views: 352
07-13-2020, 05:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrat Kerrowdown, I knew that was the winner when I first saw it! Also to Hattifnatt and Pelto! Excellent images. Well done Noel, you coaxed a lot of quality out for this challenge and did a fantastic job, you may feel old, but you're really only well experienced.
07-13-2020, 05:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to the winner, and thanks Noel for taking to time to comment on each entry.
07-13-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to the winner. And thanks for the words.

07-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to the winners and the HM’s
07-13-2020, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Congrat Kerrowdown, I knew that was the winner when I first saw it!
Thank you, I wish I had your foresight... btw what's next weeks lottery numbers please.
07-13-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
Congrats to the winners and the HM’s
Thanks.
07-13-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Congrats to the winner, and thanks Noel for taking to time to comment on each entry.
Thank you.

07-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pelto Quote
Congrats to the winner. And thanks for the words.
Thank you.
07-14-2020, 04:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Congratulations Kerrowdown, worthy winner! extended to Pelto and all who participated. And many thanks to our host - awesome job, I had a good time reading, 10x for the 2nd place!