Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
#505 - WINNERS - Trains and train stations
Posted By: Hattifnatt, 08-11-2020, 05:49 AM

Sorry for the delay, so many things happened lately and I was away from home for a few days.

Thanks to all of you who entered this challenge, below are some comments from my side on each picture.

aaacb: While I suspect a more knowledgeable photographer could find some flaws here, I very much like the spontaneity of this picture and the expression on woman's face.

ramseybuckeye / Tom: It's just a very good looking train station entrance which rings some bells since I've been there myself. Nice light, too.

Bruce Clark / Bruce: I'm not used to those trains so it took me a few seconds to find the rails leading down. Nice perspective. I like the defiance in this picture as the background is in focus and the "subjects" are not but still providing a frame for the composition.

elioloba / Elio: Great composition here, I very much like the way you used those powerlines to fill out a sky that would have been uninteresting otherwise. Also, I feel like going monochrome was the perfect choice here.

gump / Andy: This picture has quite some drama to it with the train charging into the bad weather ahead. First I thought the exposure should have been brighter, but after looking a bit more I decided it adds to the atmosphere.

atupdate / Tim: Jumped right into the picture as I usually do and then I had to read the description to make sure that you're safe And yes, those leading lines are really nice.

Vaskebjorn / Richard: While this may look unimpressive at first glance, one can only imagine what stories took place inside this boxcar.

Kerrowdown: Truly an unique station entrance and the two cars just crossing paths in front of it add a lot of dynamic to the image. Plus Ferrari

rod_grant: A blast from the past, I like how casual that guy is posing right at the entrance of the locomotive... is he the mechanic or just passenger?

SpecialK: Every time I see your name on the left side of a picture I expect something a little bit different. I was not disappointed.

noelcmn: You sure pressed that trigger just at the right moment, great capture, I very much like the composition and the excitement on their faces.

smf: "Please add me to the list of people eagerly awaiting the entry of master photographer StephenHampshire!" Based on this picture, I would add you to the list of people who could give Stephen a run for the money when it comes to trains. The movement, the details, the processing treatment are all spot on.

StephenHempshire / Stephen: Because I'm really short of time I will just not go into this one. Suffice to say I was expecting nothing less

jchorst / Christoph: Another great picture, it seems to me all the elements complement each other perfectly, with those three silhouettes perfectly posed and filling out what would have been just empty, uninteresting space. Great composition.

Now for the hard part, judgement time. Before I go any further, keep in mind that the nature of this challenge is highly subjective; also, since the idea of this challenge was not mine, it seems fair to give the real owner a word to say

Honorable mentions: gump, atupdate, Kerrowdown, smf

3rd Place: elioloba, noelcmn

2nd Place: StephenHempshire, jchorst

WINNER and host of the next challenge: SpecialK. In a field of great entries, we just liked how quirky and different this one is.

Thank you all and I'm curious what he will bring to the table.

Last edited by Hattifnatt; 08-11-2020 at 06:46 AM.
Views: 484
08-11-2020, 06:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well done all.
And a great challenge and great critiques from Hattifnatt. Thanks.
08-11-2020, 06:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Congratulation to SpecialK and thanks for hosting a fun challenge Hattifnatt.
08-11-2020, 06:26 AM   #4
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations to all.

08-11-2020, 08:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to SpecialK and thanks for putting me on a joint second place together with StephenHampshire, what an honor! Great challenge, generated some great pictures, thanks for that as well.
08-11-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great challenge, and I like SpecialK's image- quirky and fun indeed. Congrats Sir! And extended to my fellow placed 2nd stephenhampshire, jchorst, and 3rd elioloba and not forgetting gump, atupdate, Kerrowdown and smf. Honored to be on the podium, considering the high standard of entries on this one. Thanks Hattifnatt!
08-11-2020, 10:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great challenge indeed and congrats to the winner and runner ups.
08-11-2020, 11:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

In my best George Takei impression: "Oh, my..."

The photo was taken during one of the "Pentax day" events at Descanso Gardens in Los Angeles. The flowers, origami, stage play of Rashomon, and museum bits were OK, but this train shot is probably my favorite from the day.

I will have the next contest up tomorrow.

It's up here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/411375-weekl...ml#post5057205

Last edited by SpecialK; 08-12-2020 at 09:46 AM.