Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
WINNERS - Weekly Challenge # 512- Twins (two of a kind)
Posted By: noelcmn, 10-26-2020, 12:21 PM

What a wonderful wad of inspirational images in this challenge. Thank you all, I am both honoured and humbled to be judging images that far exceed my skills.

SpecialK- Gulls- Getting us off on a high mark, with an image that oozes some wonderful bokeh. Spot on for the challenge, sharp where it needs to be!

Gump- Trains- Fab shot, full of atmosphere, great storyline and you gotta love all that smoke of a train ready for work. Well composed. Some would probably have an issue with the slight slant of the trains, but I reckon it’s quite OK here. Would love to see this in B/W.

Aaacb- Two birds- When I first saw this, I wondered how on earth did he manage to get two birds sitting on a cloud. Until I read the description. Fabulous shot, loads of brrrrrr. I like the echoes of white between the birds and all that snow.

Atupdate- Puppies- Well yes, you are rightly famed (to me at any rate) for your images of your dogs and puppies, this one only adding to the reputation. High Cuteness factor, wonderful eye contact from the one pup, and very nice complimentary colors. Emotive shot too, they look sad and I just want to give them a warm cuddle and tummy rub!

Tom- Sandwich Terns – Great shot here, solid photographic eye for an opportunity. Nicely composed and one can but wonder what these two are conversing about. Mental telepathy perhaps? Nicely detailed, especially the yellow tips of the beaks!

Vaskebjorn – Swans with brother- Lovely, another great eye for an opportunity. It may have been a dull gray day, but it made for a super minimalist shot. Lovely details and that dove adds so much interest! Well worth having a look at this in large format. Nice one!

jchorst –Snake Love- Lucky devil! Well that was my reaction. Great spot, another example of a good photographer’s eye for an opportunity. You’ve probably taken a few shots of these mating, and I think you have chosen the right one for this challenge, their pose/posture is ever so interesting. Do you know what kind of snakes those are? I’m guessing Indigo Snakes, but you are in Germany, they are in USA. In any event, you got super details there.

Hattinatt- Two Ships. Just plain lovely, feel good photo! Love the color palette here, with the ships giving some complimentary colors. Very nice composition and love that titbit of reflections!

Bruce Clark “hot lips” Salvia – very kissable I may add! Beautiful shot Sir, with top notes of contrasting colors, fine details and composition.

Charliezap-It takes two- And another great eyed photographer. Crossing swords are they! Territorial dispute! Very nice color rendition, and contrasting colors. Great shot!

Msf4087 – Surfers – Welcome to the Forum, and what a cracking way to introduce yourself. Says summer, fun, youth and more! Nicely composed and the harsh light has been very well handled.

1st spot to Jjchorst- an unusual interesting shot fit for National Geographic.
2nd spot to Hattifnatt- feel good photography.
3rd spot to msf4087- Postcard worthy shot!

HM to aaacb for his ever so interesting shot of those birds.

Over to you Christoph.

Last edited by noelcmn; 10-26-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Views: 644
10-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Noel for hosting and judging this “challenging” set of photos and congrats to Christoph. It is indeed a great shot
10-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for the second place! and congrats Christoph.

PS: Noel, it seems my picture appears twice in this thread
10-26-2020, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
That's because I like it so much ! Fixed!

10-26-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Nice winning images! Thanks for the hm
10-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Christoph! What a killer shot!

Superb job as always Noel!
10-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent, well run challenge. Congrats to winners.
10-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #8

Thanks for the 3rd place! Very excited. Looking forward to more of these challenges. Beautiful shots by everyone who entered.

10-27-2020, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Noel for the first place, I and my models feel very honored! I think they are Black Colubers, but as a hardboiled urbanite, I'm not sure about that and they didn't bother to introduce themselves. The shot was taken in Southern Italy. Congrats to the other winners and thanks for a wonderful challenge, great shots! I will post the new challenge as soon as I've figured out an appropriate theme.
10-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New challenge is up!
10-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jchorst Quote
Thanks Noel for the first place, I and my models feel very honored! I think they are Black Colubers, but as a hardboiled urbanite, I'm not sure about that and they didn't bother to introduce themselves. The shot was taken in Southern Italy. Congrats to the other winners and thanks for a wonderful challenge, great shots! I will post the new challenge as soon as I've figured out an appropriate theme.
Unlikely to be Black Colubers, those are also endemic to the USA. A quick Google search and 3 possibilities
Seoane’s Viper - Vipera seoanei
Grass Snake
Whip Snake

Snakes of Europe - G.J. Verspui - Amphibian & Reptile Adventures

I'm not visiting Europe again after looking at that website
10-28-2020, 10:08 AM   #12
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
I'm not visiting Europe again after looking at that website
Wuss

The grass snake is utterly harmless and I think that's what in Christoph's picture. They can be hard to distinguish from the European viper sometimes, but these look like they have round pupils, and their bodies look too slender to be vipers.

Seoane's viper is endemic to the Iberian peninsula, I think. The whip snake stick to the eastern Mediterranean.

Now go kiss a boomslang
10-28-2020, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe these views help...
Attached Images

10-28-2020, 11:51 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Wuss Now go kiss a boomslang
Jy soek skoor! (Looking for trouble)' Happily kiss one if I can find it, and I'll send you the relevant Medical Bills Oh and I think you are right, a rare thing for Norwegians

More great shots there Christoph.
11-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
More great shots there Christoph.
Thank you, sir!