Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Winners #517 Architectural Details
Posted By: ramseybuckeye, 11-30-2020, 10:21 AM

At the same time I’m happy I chose a theme that generated such good work, while dreading the judging job I must do. I’ll say at the outset that these are all good photos and all meet the criteria. I’m sure I will use a little bit of subject, technical, aesthetic, and other qualities I haven’t thought about yet. I have looked through the photos briefly, which is why men first sentence was written, now for the more thorough examination.

Vaskebjorn: You have chosen a very modern building and shot a section of it very well with an interesting angle. The photo shows nice details the way they did the corner, which is very clean. This is a great example of a geometrically designed building (I don’t know a name for the style) from the rectangular panels and windows to the cylindrical support post. I suspect this building was designed for energy efficiency.

jchorst: You have brought us a really good example of a building for style and not cost. There are loads of interesting details here, the store columns with the alternating colors, topped by arches are beautiful. Then the narrow columns leading to the intricate work under the arches are interesting. Of course the building is topped by the dome, cupola, and cross creating an extravagant structure. I like you composition here shooting down the line of the wall to include the flowers, that makes the photo, Too bad the shadows are there, but I’m sure you did not have a lot of time to wait around, well done.

gump: This finely crafted fancy gate must lead to a very fine estate of rich owners that kind of fell on tough times. At least that what the photo suggests to me, it’s a mysterious photo that makes you wonder. The gate posts and stone fence are interesting too. The big question, why is it open? Since it looks as though it has been abandoned.

Pkboy: A very interesting place,Just look at those beautiful square columns, that intricate molding at the top of the wall. But I think most of those people are there to see that wall. That is one of the most amazing carvings in the world. Those detailed carving to tell a story that could be understood by alls was an amazing feat then as it would be now. It’s very unusual to have architecture that is also tells a story in such detail. I think you hit the mark on you photo by showing the vast size of one carved wall, with a nice set of two lines to the people enjoying the wall.

Aaacb: That’s a very cleverly designed building to get an interesting feature using just brick and mortar. I would have to say your composition is really good, and the photo is well detailed.

rod_grant: This is a beautiful interior somewhat rustic, I guessed this was built in the mid to late 19th century building, I liked it up and guessed right. Everything looks so clean I wonder if this is one of the parts that had to be restored after a fire. It’s an interesting sort of mixed architecture, I say mixed because you don’t often see fancy columns and bare wooed boards in the same design. It is odd, but overall very beautiful. You did a great job in taking a photo to get so much detail in it, and including the skylight without the outside light being a big glaring spot in the photo.

SpecialK: Very nice photo of outside stairs of this beautiful building. It’s nice they built these art deco features into the exterior walls, especially considering it was built as a WPA project during the great depression. I didn’t know that there were WPA projects like that using privately donated funds. I guess Griffith also was involved in the planning, what a great gift to California.

At update: Definitely modern! I love the way you captured the reflections, it really creates an illusion there and I’m not sure on the left if I’m looking at a wall or a refection. If that’s what the design was meant to do, it worked. Do birds fly into this building very often? Purely modern Geometric design, I don’t see your reflection Tim.

SimonC: Deconstructive architecture in my opinion often seems out of place, and maybe this seems this way from other views, but your composition really uses this building and it quite good. When I first looked at the picture I wondered if the building was supposed to resemble a battleship with those riveted steel sides and a curve, but I could not find a reference to that.

Jacamar: It’s almost unfair using a cathedral to show architecture, because there are so many details, such great care and usually no limits were put into them. But your photo is showing an often overlooked detail in these windows, which is what they do to the light coming through, creating a nice space that connects the inside with the outdoors. Well done.

Ginos: wow, that is really interesting, another photo that asks questions, where did the rest go? What happened? What did it look like? Good photo, you didn’t make it up there for interior shots? LOL

noelcmn: Very fascinating design but very functional to provide shade while letting air through. Such a design seems like it would have been very difficult to build, but they did. Amazing what mankind will do for the World Cup, and I will watch every minute of it that I can. Very nice picture Noel, good contrasty black and white to show he details well.

Jcsnyc: What a great example of using space, talk about a picture raising questions, this is it. There is so much going on here besides the architecture, but that weird little wedge is there because to he architecture. These brick structures of that era are interesting becuse they often are “fancier” on the front and even the lower level, since they often had businesses on the first floor and apartments on up. The building on the left has different windows on slternsting floors on the front. The building on the right has roll up door across the front, possible protecting a storefront in a rough neighborhood, or has it been converted to an automotive entrance? And what are the round protrusions that have been added on to the right of the front windows?

Stevejo: Aqueducts are fascinating, whether but by the Romans. or the English in 1930, the are an engineering marvel to me. We taken photo to show the underside of the structure. It looks like what we see is mostly still arches and platforms on stone supports. The outside arches are different, since they are supporting the upper edge of the aqueduct, a very ye pleasing part of the design that I assume was done for that reason. Nice touch that they put the date of the renovation on the arch.

What a fabulous collection of photos for this challenge. They were so good that while going through them I did a little basic research on some of the ones that said what they were. And the winner by a nose is jcsnyc with “Brooklyn Angles”.

Views: 707
11-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fabulous shot, worthy winner. As noted, a wonderful storyline to this. I particularly like that you included that guy there, Jcsnyc, looks like he is beefing up the security.
11-30-2020, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the challenge and the judging Ramseybuckeye. You chose a worthy winner indeed.
As for the building, I do not know it was build for energy efficiency, but would suppose it was as it is in the Netherlands. The building itself on the outside is very different as it is entirely grey aluminium. The inside of the building (some kind of patio like area) is covered in 3m radiant foil that was originally intended for perfume bottles.
I looked up the building on the internet and these “useful” facts popped up .
11-30-2020, 12:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well done Jcsync with your photo, each time I look at it find something new to look at. It makes me think of Kevin Mcloud's Grand Designs program but from the 1940's (not sure if that would be the correct era!?).

Thanks Ramseybuckeye for the effort you have gone to in the judging of the photos.

11-30-2020, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks @ramseybuckeye for picking my photo and for such a thorough review of all of the contestants! It will be tough to follow this up but I will do my best!

@SimonC - I think this is actually from the late 1800's! My house (about 10 blocks away was built in 1895).

This was my first entry and now I am hooked!
11-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Echoing the comments above, thanks for a great challenge. Congrats to Jcsync for your photo. A very interesting shot.

Look forward to the next one.
11-30-2020, 04:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
Thanks for the challenge and the judging Ramseybuckeye. You chose a worthy winner indeed.
As for the building, I do not know it was build for energy efficiency, but would suppose it was as it is in the Netherlands. The building itself on the outside is very different as it is entirely grey aluminium. The inside of the building (some kind of patio like area) is covered in 3m radiant foil that was originally intended for perfume bottles.
I looked up the building on the internet and these “useful” facts popped up .
It doesn't always seem unusual when they develop something for a particular use and find it is useful for other things too, but from a perfume bottle to building materials is a real leap. I hope they built that when aluminum was cheaper than it is now, that's one metal that seems to jump around in price.

11-30-2020, 11:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I could not find anything on the price, but the building is far from new (2004/2005) , so I think it will be ok.
It was sold in 2020 apparently, but I couldn’t find a sales price either.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
It doesn't always seem unusual when they develop something for a particular use and find it is useful for other things too, but from a perfume bottle to building materials is a real leap. I hope they built that when aluminum was cheaper than it is now, that's one metal that seems to jump around in price.
12-01-2020, 05:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks ramseybuckeye for a great challenge with some marvelous photos and a worthy winner!
12-01-2020, 08:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Congratulations jcsnyc on winning the challenge. The black and white conversion really works well for this shot.

Thanks for hosting and commenting Tom.