Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weekly Challenge #522 - The Space behind the Subject
Posted By: jchorst, 01-09-2021, 06:14 AM

Hello and welcome to the first editiion of this year's Weekly Challenge on Pentaxforums! Thanks again Noel for hosting and judging a very interesting challenge last week. This week's theme is "The Space behind the Subject", meaning there has to be some sort of striking, structured, meaningful background behind the subject, not just an empty wall or an undefined bokeh (beautiful as it may be). This can be some sort of vanishing point or alignment (which is technique I like to use), but any other kind of structured space is allowed as well. The subject itself can be everything - person, animal, building, plant... your choice. But there has to be (at least) one clearly defined subject!

The challenge will close on Saturday, Januar 16th at Midnight your time.

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo.
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

One example:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 2,371
01-09-2021, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
01-09-2021, 08:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Monument Valley
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
01-09-2021, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going with this one that was meant to be an entire scene, with the grass as the artistic focus. Shooting something like this in the late day improves it a lot.

01-09-2021, 08:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Technically speaking the background is in front of the subject, but I think this still qualifies. Taken at Badlands N.P., South Dakota. Minimal post-processing (after 30 minutes of fiddling I couldn't make it any better).

01-09-2021, 11:34 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

01-10-2021, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okabella Homestead is one of the tourist attractions in WA. This place is also known as the most "haunted" buildings in WA (Australia). When you come for visit, you'll get to hear a story about ghosts and in particular about George who died in the house while he was cleaning his gun! I've heard these stories already a couple of times and must admit that second time, I was looking for little details to tell the story in a different way. Then I noticed this chopping board with the "knife" which inspired me to add a different variation to the story. :-)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
01-10-2021, 01:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

01-10-2021, 04:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Technically speaking the background is in front of the subject, but I think this still qualifies. Taken at Badlands N.P., South Dakota. Minimal post-processing (after 30 minutes of fiddling I couldn't make it any better).

Your model is looking into the background, but she herself is standing in the foreground. So yes, your picture definitely qualifies.
01-10-2021, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Squeezing Sorghum.

Tim
01-10-2021, 04:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Downtown Bagdad CA.
01-11-2021, 03:32 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cloud about to eat a seagull

01-12-2021, 10:14 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I took this picture of my daughter in November. I asked her to hold the lens ball up so I could try to take a picture of it, and liked the shot of her looking at it best. I used a K3 with my old A50/f2. 1/100, f4, iso 100.

Kristian
01-12-2021, 12:44 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I find most that in most of my non-bird photos, while I usually have a foreground element the "subject" is more the scene as a whole than a main focus and a background - let's see how this one plays out.

01-12-2021, 06:30 PM - 6 Likes   #15
Forum Member

Morning. Nice day for fishing, ain't it!

Due to the pandemic, I'm marooned thousands of miles from home. At least I'm stuck somewhere nice.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo