Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Winners Weekly Challenge #522 - The Space behind the Subject
Posted By: jchorst, 01-18-2021, 11:12 AM

Sorry for the delay and thanks for your patience - and for sending in so many entries! Here's what I think:

aaacb - very good interpretation of the theme, great composition. Claustrophobic.
gump - great landscape, could do with a bit more distinction between foreground (subject) and background. Just my two cents.
ramseybuckeye - beautiful sunset, I love how the shoreline targets the sun.
RGlasel - great hiking scene, a lot of depth in the background.
Vaskebjorn - nature meets technology, great composition.
Katja - light pastel colors, combined with a gruesome subject and a creepy story. I love the way the handle of the chopper (?) corresponds with the roofline - with just a little divergence making all the difference. No likes here for you, but great work in my eyes.
rod_grant - calm scene, beautiful light, a lot of depth.
atupdate - nostalgic, makes me feel like I fell out of a time machine. Great overall direction from lower left to upper right.
SpecialK - "Downtown" in a different way, another picture with a story. Loneliness, expanse, and a tiny looking train hurrying to pass through. I think this would work best as a large print.
Bruce Clark - great silhouette, compellingly minimalistic. Beautifully captured scene.
turbo_bird - a great interpretation of the theme, but in my eyes it's a bit too dark and lacks contrast.
jacamar - another calm scene, this time nature meets structure. Convincing composition.
nosillec - great composition, I particularly like the way it drags you into the background. Makes me feel cold, uneasy and amused at the same time. Maybe the subject (you?) is either too centred or not centred enough. It also could be a bit sharper, as far as I'm concerned.
SD_Bob - what an encounter (at least for an asphalt cowboy like me)! Apart from that, a nice landscape with a well structured background. Would possibly work even better with some more depth.
BigDave - great romantic scene, beautiful light, colors, contrast, composition, atmosphere.
Hattifnatt - no question your picture fits the subject - either the subject is the woman with all the background "behind" her or the subject is the red wall in the foreground. Great colors, convincing composition and lighting, beautiful atmosphere. Exhibition stuff.
charliezap - another gorgeous silhouette, Great composition, wonderful colours. I particularly like the empty, almost non existent sky.
StephenHampshire - very well captured scene with your inevitable steam engine in the background. Maybe this would work even better in black and white. (Too much green?)
noelcmn - another cracker at the end. Beautiful colours, great composition, perfectly structured lines in the background.

Judging all these great entries was really tough, but also great fun. Here you go:

Honourable mentions in no particular order: StephenHampshire, charliezap, nosillec, Bruce Clark, aaacb
Third place: noelcmm - for an abstract landscape with a pipe
Second place: Hattifnatt - for a lady you'd like to meet
First place: Katja - for a lightheartedly dark story

So that's it. Your turn, Katja!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 895
01-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cracking storyline shot-Congrats Katja, worthy winner! And extended to hattifnatt, another cracking image from you sir! And not forgetting the HM's StephenHampshire, charliezap, nosillec, Bruce Clark, aaacb. Can't believe I'm on the podium, with an old image from 2014. Thank you for that jchorst, and for the ever-so-interesting challenge, and the judging exercise. Beautiful challenge with stunning images.
01-18-2021, 02:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very well thought out shots. Nice to be a part of such an active and creative community...
01-18-2021, 05:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Katja, excellent photo. Good job on the challenge Christoph

01-18-2021, 05:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great challenge, with many interesting interpretations on the theme.
Thank you for the HM and congratulations to the winners.
01-18-2021, 06:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks for the second place! Congratz Katja, that was my favorite picture
01-18-2021, 06:44 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the winners, there were lots of great shots posted in this one.
Kristian
01-19-2021, 04:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to Katja, the runner-ups and all the rest. This was a really fun challenge with a lot of great entries.

01-22-2021, 01:17 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yesterday morning (CET) I informed Katja via PM that she‘d won this challenge and was supposed to be the next host and judge. By now I got no response. Here‘s my suggestion: we wait another day, and then Hatiffnat takes over in case Katja still doesn‘t answer.

Last edited by jchorst; 01-22-2021 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Typo
01-24-2021, 11:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

So... should I start a new challenge?
01-24-2021, 01:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
So... should I start a new challenge?