Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge #524 -Pilgrimage
Posted By: gump, 02-06-2021, 09:26 AM

Weekly Challenge #524 -Pilgrimage

Welcome to Weekly Challenge #524 Pilgrimage

It is spot, place, location you were inspired to visit. As you are a photographer, you took a photo. What I am thinking of is a place beyond a generic "bucket list." The location, object, whatever is/was important to you.

My examples are the remains of the Joseph Curl Farm. My father-in-law grew up there and he told a lot of stories of depression era life and the dust bowl. The other photo is of John Ford Point in Monument Valley, Navaho Nation, Arizona. I grew up watching John Ford's movies and still do. They were part of my interest in history and now are an entertaining way to study photography.

The challenge will include all entries posted BEFORE February 15th.

The fine print:
Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

1. Post ONE photo.
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Read more at: Weekly Challenge #523 - Shadows - PentaxForums.com

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 1,366
02-06-2021, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think this is a great challenge, but it might take some extra info accompanying the photos.
This photo is taken in Sousse, Tunisia.
More than 25 years ago while we were moving house from the east to the west of the country, we decided to take a lat minute holiday. There was not much choice left, so we could decide between Egypt and Tunisia. We decided to go to Tunisia and went back year after year. It turns out to be a country that you either love or not and we do. In the meantime we have our own small beach house so we do not need to go to hotels and it turns out to be even cheaper. When you want to go you just buy a ticket.
Obviously we go several times a year normally and we now call it our second home(country), it is easy relaxing and we love the way of life. We have a lot of friends and acquaintances overthere.
Unfortunately, the last year we could not really go due to Corona obviously and, after my kidney problems and CFS, my wife got diagnosed cancer and needs to undergo experimental immunotherapy after the chemo did not deliver the desired results.

We really miss that place and are somehow “homesick”

02-06-2021, 10:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
it might take some extra info accompanying the photos.
I cannot see any reason why the photos cannot include text and you are correct that this challenge may well need it. It will be impressive if the photo can "stand alone," and tell a story but it would be difficult especially with the wide variety of cultures we have on PF.
02-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Gump, i was not (trying) to imply that text can not be included, sometimes it is needed and somettimes not. In this challenge it is most likely needed to give a context to a photo as it is a personal challenge and unless people are close they would not know how it relates to pilgrimage.
Unless you have a photo of litteral pilgrimage
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
I cannot see any reason why the photos cannot include text and you are correct that this challenge may well need it. It will be impressive if the photo can "stand alone," and tell a story but it would be difficult especially with the wide variety of cultures we have on PF.

02-06-2021, 01:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
Hi Gump, i was not (trying) to imply that text can not be included, sometimes it is needed and somettimes not. In this challenge it is most likely needed to give a context to a photo as it is a personal challenge and unless people are close they would not know how it relates to pilgrimage.
Unless you have a photo of litteral pilgrimage
I understood that and if my response seemed negative in any way, I am sorry, I had no such intention. You were entirely correct. Besides, one person's pilgrimage may be another's weekend fishing.
02-06-2021, 01:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No worries Gump , but I am not really into fishing. As a kid I did a couple of times and only caught a fish once and guess what, the hook was in it’s tail.
And a fishing weekend might even be someone’s pilgrimage.

You picked yourself a very diverse challenge, judging might be not easy

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
I understood that and if my response seemed negative in any way, I am sorry, I had no such intention. You were entirely correct. Besides, one person's pilgrimage may be another's weekend fishing.
02-07-2021, 04:59 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From the home of the Wright Brothers and many other famous inventors, here is a replica of the Wright B Flyer from the airport just south of my home. I might not be from oHIo, but it has been home for 20 years now.

Tim

02-07-2021, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Monument Valley.
02-07-2021, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Mt Liberty, when I started again winter hiking after a few years of break the first hike was here (photo on subsequent hike)

02-08-2021, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the Summit

This is the summit cross of our local mountain in the Bavarian Alps, where I - living in the city - go on a hiking "pilgrimage" from time to time.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
02-08-2021, 06:55 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I posted this one in the monthly photo contest as well, but I think it fits here as well.

My brother climbs this mountain pretty much every summer, and this year I was finally able to make the trip with him. It's the highest mountain around where we live, and is about a 4000 foot climb from the trailhead. I managed to take a pretty decent picture of the mountain reflected in this little lake with my cell phone the day we climbed it, and decided that I needed a good picture taken with a real camera at sunrise. I hiked back in (with my brother again) to the base of the mountain a couple weeks later to take this picture. We were up at 3:30 am and hiked for 2 1/2 hours in the dark, with headlamps, to get to this spot so I could take this picture.
Kristian
02-08-2021, 11:54 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Observation Point, Zion Canyon, Utah. It is a 4-mile hike, which took me and all my gear a wheezing 4 hours or so up, but only 45 minutes down. As a former cartographer, I appreciated the brass benchmark placed in 1928, indicating 6508 ft.
02-09-2021, 06:19 AM - 2 Likes   #13

Noirmoutier

I took this picture a few years ago, going back to the place where, at the time and as a kid I would spend 3 months of summer vacations.
There was no tap water, only wells, we would camp on a dune under the pine trees, this was the period I would be waiting for all year long, secluded in a city flat with trucks going back and forth under my blackened window panes.
Obviously they know have ruined the place, but discarded boat skeletons still populate the same spot. Those on the picture could possibly the ones that I would swim around when they were new, brightly painted and gently swaying on the surf.

By the way, this is the isle of Noimoutier, etymologically meaning black monastery.
'La vieillesse est un naufrage'

Cheers folks !
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
02-14-2021, 04:56 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cape St Francis Lighthouse, a must visit when I go to Port Elizabeth, my city of birth, for several reasons. One of the more important ones being that I can actually be there, and which takes me back to the times under the Apartheid Era of South Africa, when such places were "for Whites only". Another is the abundant coastal bird life. And the chance to alone in a fantastic setting.
02-15-2021, 07:44 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Every entry was compelling as a photo and a story. The theme was perhaps a bit personal. I find I need a theme to direct my photography for comfort. Just wandering seldom produces many images and those are usually mundane. The themes can be general, a particular environment, wildlife, etc. or focused, steam railroads, old architecture, or a narrowly focused (pilgrimage), movie location, a particular person, or a photographer such as Adams or Edward Curtis. I am currently assembling a personal photobook of theme pilgrimage so that is where the idea originated.

Any entry could be justified as a winner. I am choosing noelcmn as it "spoke to me" in many ways. The minimalist aircraft of atupdate was intriguing, Vaskebjorn's photo is an example of being able to "feel" the environment. LeCat, well I love boats, and djb47 I watched John Ford's, Stagecoach, a couple night's ago and you are at or near one of the actual camera locations. The MV is a big place so i guess i share a pilgrimage location with you. JCHorst, I am in no way religious but your photo is a wonderful dramatic capture. And you others, aaacb, Turbo Bird, and Special K, watch for me in the mountains, I will be the old guy fumbling around with his camera, you can give me some hints.

Last edited by gump; 02-15-2021 at 08:31 AM.